Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The FRS torque curve (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5859)

smbrm 05-07-2012 10:52 PM

The FRS torque curve

How do the engine characteristics of the FRS/BRZ manifest themselves in the dayly driver situation?

Most have seen the information that has been posted regarding the torque curves for the FRS/BRZ. I saw an interesting article in Car & Driver today regarding a test drive of the BRZ in France. What caught my eye was the comment about the noticeable dip(~120 vs. ~150) in the torque curve between 2800 and 4800 rpm(C&D), (3200-4800 rpm according to the Edmunds torque curve). Comment was made about how a 3-2(if I remember correctly) downshift from 6000 rpm put you right in the middle of the dip and resulted in a sluggish response! The other comment was that, operating above 6000 rpm on the 2nd flat part of the torque curve delivered more acceptable performance, but at the expense of fuel economy, more like city than anywhere close to highway fuel consumption.

Now mind you a Boxster has a similar but smaller torque dip.

It makes me wonder what one might be trading in engine performance for the handling benefits of the FRS/BRZ? Example: The Scion TC with 160 ft-lb at 4000 rpm vs. 120 is almost 36% more torque to propel agreeably a heavier weight(but only by 10%) for the TC!

For those switching from a TC(as an example) to an FRS, I would not expect similar perception of engine performance?

I have driven an FRS, but unfortuately not long enough to really assess this observation.

Just wondering if anyone else has made any observations or has any thoughts on this observation?

Is this a track car first and a "potentially" lukewarm in the engine department dayly driver 2nd?

:popcorn:

chulooz 05-07-2012 10:59 PM

You mention not noticing the dip, Im not surprised. I suspect you will really have to look for it or isolate the experience to make it anything concerning. The car already has meager TQ figures, so downshifting will solve the issue in less than a second.

smbrm 05-07-2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chulooz (Post 203761)
You mention not noticing the dip, Im not surprised. I suspect you will really have to look for it or isolate the experience to make it anything concerning. The car already has meager TQ figures, so downshifting will solve the issue in less than a second.

I only went around the block, which isn't really enough time to even get used to the shifting characteristics.

carbonBLUE 05-07-2012 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrm (Post 203755)
It makes me wonder what one might be trading in engine performance for the handling benefits of the FRS/BRZ? Example: The Scion TC with 160 ft-lb at 4000 rpm vs. 120 is almost 36% more torque to propel agreeably a heavier weight(but only by 10%) for the TC!

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...477-118670.jpg

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/1...iontct2zd9.jpg

ohh yeah and the tc has a horrible tq drop off...

173 whp = 200 bhp = 14.5% loss

143 wtq = 165.32 tq

200 hp and 165tq vs 2ar-fe 180hp and 173 tq

2700 lbs car vs 3100 lbs car

tc
First Gear Ratio (:1): 3.54
Second Gear Ratio (:1): 2.05
Third Gear Ratio (:1): 1.38
Fourth Gear Ratio (:1): 1.03
Fifth Gear Ratio (:1): 0.88
Sixth Gear Ratio (:1): 0.73
Reverse Ratio (:1): 3.56
Clutch Size: N/A
Final Drive Axle Ratio (:1): 4.06

frs
http://kaizenfactor.files.wordpress....t261.jpg?w=640

4.1 final drive

the frs will def be faster

in first gear the frs puts down around 2458 lbft of tq
in first gear the TC puts down around 2486 lbft of tq

frs weighs 400lbs less, puts down 28lbft/tq less to the ground and get better real world gas mileage, plus its rwd :D

sorry i got bored and wanted to research and do maths...

ichitaka05 05-08-2012 12:02 AM

I have commented in my review of FR-S, but I'll keep it simple for ya.

You won't feel the dip. Only way I kinda, maybe, prob, I think, felt it was 2 ppl in the car max AC. Even w that it was a big question in my head.

I didn't do around the block, but did full course meal. City, freeway, figure 8, autox, & track... Give or take about 5~6 hrs in the car.

Subie 05-08-2012 12:53 AM

The tC2 is not a willing performer. It's not "rev-happy" and has very poor throttle response. It's not all about the numbers.

carbonBLUE 05-08-2012 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ichitaka05 (Post 203814)
I have commented in my review of FR-S, but I'll keep it simple for ya.

You won't feel the dip. Only way I kinda, maybe, prob, I think, felt it was 2 ppl in the car max AC. Even w that it was a big question in my head.

I didn't do around the block, but did full course meal. City, freeway, figure 8, autox, & track... Give or take about 5~6 hrs in the car.

this

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subie (Post 203868)
The tC2 is not a willing performer. It's not "rev-happy" and has very poor throttle response. It's not all about the numbers.

i know its not about numbers, but i like math, but i dont like putting numbers on the frs/brz/gt86

old greg 05-08-2012 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smbrm (Post 203755)
Comment was made about how a 3-2(if I remember correctly) downshift from 6000 rpm put you right in the middle of the dip and resulted in a sluggish response!

A downshift from 6000 rpm would put you right in the middle of a dip in your engine block which, I'll admit, probably would have an adverse effect on response. ;)

demby123 05-08-2012 11:10 AM

VVT/or variable lift?...? direct injection also comes in at certain engine speeds, i believe it cuts off in the midrange

DeeezNuuuts83 05-08-2012 11:22 AM

I understand the concern (as it is a big dip), but unless I'm missing something, all of this speculation is based off of ONE dyno (by Inside Line) on ONE FR-S. For those of you who have tuned cars before or even compared dyno graphs, it's very possible for two different examples of the same car to dyno differently even under the same conditions. So other FR-Ss (and BRZs) may not dyno with that kind of a flat spot. And considering how new this car is, this might be an early production hiccup that Toyota/Scion/Subaru might cure with a factory re-tune to smooth it out.

But seeing how both the hp and torque curves have dips in the same rpm range (and the hp curve is practically a rotated version of the torque curve, if you look at it), it might be specific to that one car and not necessarily the exact output that they had intended. They did mention that they wanted the punch to hit as low and as immediate as possible, but I don't think that they inteded a random 20 lb-ft drop from 3300-4600 rpm on an otherwise flat torque curve (for an NA 2.0-liter four-cylinder).

carbonBLUE 05-08-2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 (Post 204130)
I understand the concern (as it is a big dip), but unless I'm missing something, all of this speculation is based off of ONE dyno (by Inside Line) on ONE FR-S. For those of you who have tuned cars before or even compared dyno graphs, it's very possible for two different examples of the same car to dyno differently even under the same conditions. So other FR-Ss (and BRZs) may not dyno with that kind of a flat spot. And considering how new this car is, this might be an early production hiccup that Toyota/Scion/Subaru might cure with a factory re-tune to smooth it out.

But seeing how both the hp and torque curves have dips in the same rpm range (and the hp curve is practically a rotated version of the torque curve, if you look at it), it might be specific to that one car and not necessarily the exact output that they had intended. They did mention that they wanted the punch to hit as low and as immediate as possible, but I don't think that they inteded a random 20 lb-ft drop from 3300-4600 rpm on an otherwise flat torque curve (for an NA 2.0-liter four-cylinder).

no its multiple graphs

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...477-118670.jpg
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...7&d=1328422528
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...41539534_n.jpg

plus other na Subaru's do this, Porsche's, its related to the boxer design... and the angles of the exhaust headers as they leave the engine.. has partially to do with harmonics and a various assortment of other things...

DeeezNuuuts83 05-08-2012 12:35 PM

^ Thanks for the update. I wasn't sure if it was common, but I had only seen it on that one Inside Line dyno.

Since it sounds like you're familiar with that, you mentioned it has to do with the boxer design... what about it causes it? And why can't it be remedied from the factory (or why isn't it)?

smbrm 05-08-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 (Post 204130)

Yes I agree something like a 5-10 ft-lb drop would seem more reasonable. And the car tested in the C&D review, as may the torque curve car, may only have been an early prototype.

I did notice the car had a very responsive throttle!

I was just wondering if other new owners or those able to get extended test drives like ichitaka05 would be able to share their experience?

carbonBLUE 05-08-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 (Post 204185)
^ Thanks for the update. I wasn't sure if it was common, but I had only seen it on that one Inside Line dyno.

Since it sounds like you're familiar with that, you mentioned it has to do with the boxer design... what about it causes it? And why can't it be remedied from the factory (or why isn't it)?

im pretty sure toyota knew there would be a dip right there from the get go, im pretty sure it was also considered when looking at DD gas mileage.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...200#post204200

this is the first 86 owner in the US and hes getting 27~30 mpgs with spirited driving and fast highway cruising speeds

from reading a lot of different threads I imagine the dip comes form a collection of these things:
1: header design due to boxer shape
2: harmonics
3: cam phasing
4: gas mileage(pretty sure the dip wouldnt look as bad if they didnt tune gas mileage into the equation)

some people say its the direct injection, but i disagree, when the car has the pedal to the ground, Direct Injection is always on
when we can get this car on a dyno and study timing, a/f ratios, duty cycles for port and direct injection, bench flow the heads, ect ect

we wont know for sure what this engine is capable of... but im excited for the first 10 years this car is out.... lots of dif mods, ill probably have 2-3 engines in my garage in 5 years just for tinkering :P