Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Software Tuning (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Can I use OFT on *top* of ECUTek? Software guru needed! (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134024)

Scremin@ATS 04-11-2019 11:20 AM

Can I use OFT on *top* of ECUTek? Software guru needed!

Sorry if this is confusing - I've tried to be as detailed as possible. I am brand new to Subaru ECUs but run MOTEC/LINK/APEXI etc in my older Toyotas. I'm trying to learn the jargain and capabilities of these new ECUs.

So I have a 2015 FRS that is/was running an OFT tune.

I just upgraded to a 2017 BRZ and transferred all my mods over to that car. I now need to move the OFT from the FRS to the BRZ ECU.

However, to throw in a twist, the 2017 came preloaded with ECUTek software. The previous owner of the 2017 said he flashed the ECUTek ROM back to stock.

I've read here I can't really unlatch the ECUTek from the 2017 BRZ ECU. Can I load an OFT tune onto it when it already has an ECUTek License/ROM?

How do I "unlatch" the OFT software/hardware from the 2015 FRS ECU? :bonk:

tomm.brz 04-12-2019 01:45 AM

Why don't you take advanced of the ecutek license you already have? since it costs 300 bucks
if you marry OFT and flash with it, you loose ecutek license forever

to unmarry OFT from frs anyway you must flash back stock tune from first slot with it to frs

steve99 04-12-2019 03:25 AM

as above

if the owner flashed back a stock ecutek tune to car then oft will read rom and you can write over it.

flashing stock ecutek tune unlocks ecu but leaves licience in ecu.

If owner left ecutek tune in car then ecu will be locked and oft wont read or write

but your wasting an ecutek licience

might be worth selling you oft unmarried and buying an ecutek cable

DarkPira7e 04-13-2019 09:32 AM

I just had this argument with myself. Ended up buying RaceRom and the cable. I'll never go back to open source on this car, product support for ECUTEK is widely available, the software itself makes sense, and the custom maps are insane. ECUTEK is a gift, embrace it.

Scremin@ATS 04-14-2019 09:54 PM

I appreciate all the responses, but I really don’t have an answer to my questions? How do I unlatch the OFT from the 2015 ecu?

How do I figure out what tune is in the 2017 ecu? I have the cable and dongle. I’ve downloaded the ecutek software. I have a big red “No CAN vehicle interface found” and I can’t seem to get any further. Only options are “open rom” or “find rom”.

At least with the oft I know where the tune is...

steve99 04-14-2019 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scremin@ATS (Post 3207628)
I appreciate all the responses, but I really don’t have an answer to my questions? How do I unlatch the OFT from the 2015 ecu?

How do I figure out what tune is in the 2017 ecu? I have the cable and dongle. I’ve downloaded the ecutek software. I have a big red “No CAN vehicle interface found” and I can’t seem to get any further. Only options are “open rom” or “find rom”.

At least with the oft I know where the tune is...

With the oft flash back the stick rom held in oft back to xar it married to, the use openflash manager to erase the oft,oft is then ready to marry to a new car.

See the OFT TIPS link in my signiture below

With ecutek if you getting a red no can interface indication it means ecutek cannot see the ecutek obd cable. The dongle allows software to run but it also need ecutek xabke plugfed in, if its plugged in try another known wirking usb port, if still no go likrly ecutek cable is faulty

tomm.brz 04-15-2019 01:54 AM

i rarely got Red squares on proecu on some computers with ecutek cable plugged in, usually i go to Help - - Ecutek Update - - update drivers and it fixes

Scremin@ATS 04-15-2019 09:48 AM

Thank you both. I tried the drivers and I tried a different car...no dice. So it must be the PC I'm using.

I'm sure ECUTek is more powerful "real" tuning software but OFT seems so convenient, plus it has a nice set of gauges/interface/OBD functionality all built into the tablet device. I do appreciate all the answers and help!

86TOYO2k17 04-15-2019 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scremin@ATS (Post 3207755)
Thank you both. I tried the drivers and I tried a different car...no dice. So it must be the PC I'm using.

I'm sure ECUTek is more powerful "real" tuning software but OFT seems so convenient, plus it has a nice set of gauges/interface/OBD functionality all built into the tablet device. I do appreciate all the answers and help!

Are you planning on doing your own tuning? then OFT could be the way to go.
However for the price you could sell the OFT you could get a custom E-tune, you would just need to spend about 240$ on a dongle/bluetooth. Also future revisions are usually cheaper once you are a customer of a tuner already.

Also if you have the bluetooth, the ecutek app you can get on your phone for free, you have access to more parameters, can monitor more on your screen at once, and can log more at once as well.

OFT is good if OTS tunes fit your needs, or you know how to tune, or tweak tunes yourself. The OF guys are hard to get support from, so besides the support from people on the forums like steve and wayno, your basically on your own. and from the sound of your original posts, it doesn't sound like you really know what your doing in regards to tuning.

Scremin@ATS 04-15-2019 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 (Post 3207769)
OFT is good if OTS tunes fit your needs, or you know how to tune, or tweak tunes yourself. The OF guys are hard to get support from, so besides the support from people on the forums like steve and wayno, your basically on your own. and from the sound of your original posts, it doesn't sound like you really know what your doing in regards to tuning.

Been EFI101 certified since 2005 and have tuned a few dozen cars over the years, Supra makes 700hp and MR2 makes 400hp. I guess your bar is set pretty high if I don't know what I'm doing - I simply stated I don't know this unique software you guys are using. But thanks for the vote of confidence! :cheers:

86TOYO2k17 04-15-2019 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scremin@ATS (Post 3207785)
Been EFI101 certified since 2005 and have tuned a few dozen cars over the years, Supra makes 700hp and MR2 makes 400hp. I guess your bar is set pretty high if I don't know what I'm doing - I simply stated I don't know this unique software you guys are using. But thanks for the vote of confidence! :cheers:

By your first post it seemed you where unfamiliar with all of this. But seems like you know what your doing. Best of luck :cheers:

steve99 04-15-2019 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scremin@ATS (Post 3207755)

Some ecutek cavles do go bad.

If the ecutek software runs then your dongle key is fine

If you plug in ecutek cable and the k line obd boxes stay red then it pretty certian cable is bad. If you know someone with an ecutek kot try thier cable or even obe of the blutooth cable kits. The cavles are not keyed, only the deskeydongle is keyed to you

Scremin@ATS 04-15-2019 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve99 (Post 3208011)
Some ecutek cavles do go bad.

If the ecutek software runs then your dongle key is fine

If you plug in ecutek cable and the k line obd boxes stay red then it pretty certian cable is bad. If you know someone with an ecutek kot try thier cable or even obe of the blutooth cable kits. The cavles are not keyed, only the deskeydongle is keyed to you

I called HPI tuning and emailed ecutek. HPI initially thought the cable was bad, but I can see the cable in ecutek (just won't turn green). Due to that HPI thinks maybe the ecutek software revision (build) might be bad.

Anybody happen to have an old build?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

DarkPira7e 04-15-2019 09:59 PM

This really sounds like a driver issue, because ECUtek green lighting just means it sees the interface cable. Have you gone into device manager, right clicked on the ECUtek cable (NOT the dongle) and uninstalled the drivers? Make sure you restart the computer after each operation to ensure what you're doing takes effect. This happens to me a lot on my Windows 10 Laptop ( Should have stayed with 7!!!) I have to uninstall from device manager, restart. Then after signing back in, go into ECUtek update. After that runs, I choose to check for interface updates or whatever. After this does its thing, I restart again. After restarting, ECUtek will show green. I wish I could use my corporate LogMeIn account to help to help you, best of luck.