Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   How quiet is the cabin at cruising speed? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5567)

BRZ FTW 05-01-2012 09:54 AM

How quiet is the cabin at cruising speed?

I love the BRZ and can't wait to get one. :party0030: I am wondering from those that have driven one, how does the interior sound? I currently drive a Scion TC. This thing is a rattle trap. I hate it. My wife just got a 2012 Chevy Cruze, and by comparison the Cruze is dead silent at highway speeds. What should I expect from the BRZ?

colHolm 05-01-2012 09:57 AM

I thought it was quite composed at highway speeds; a little wind and tire noise, but nothing too intrusive.

BRZ FTW 05-01-2012 08:52 PM

Good to know, thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by colHolm (Post 196806)
I thought it was quite composed at highway speeds; a little wind and tire noise, but nothing too intrusive.

avholic 05-01-2012 11:44 PM

I was just researching this topic the other night, as I wanted to compare my current DD (2nd in the list) to BRZ.

CABIN SILENCE (according to Insideline):

Lexus IS 350 (2006):
Sound level @ idle (dB) 40
@ Full throttle (dB) 73
@ 70 mph cruise (dB) 68

BMW 335i sedan (2007):
Sound level @ idle (dB) 46.9
@ Full throttle (dB) 76.3
@ 70 mph cruise (dB) 62.5

BRZ Interior Sound Level (according to Car & Driver)

IDLE ....................................... 42 dBA
FULL THROTTLE ........................ 85 dBA
70-MPH CRUISING ..................... 73 dBA

Not bad I think. At 65 MPH in 335i, I could talk on the speaker phone via bluetooth without the other party noticing that I'm driving. I guess not with the BRZ. lol

rawbz 05-01-2012 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avholic (Post 197684)
I was just researching this topic the other night, as I wanted to compare my current DD (2nd in the list) to BRZ.

CABIN SILENCE (according to Insideline):

Lexus IS 350 (2006):
Sound level @ idle (dB) 40
@ Full throttle (dB) 73
@ 70 mph cruise (dB) 68

BMW 335i sedan (2007):
Sound level @ idle (dB) 46.9
@ Full throttle (dB) 76.3
@ 70 mph cruise (dB) 62.5

Not bad I think.

Are these figures based on engine noise? I'd expect it to be quite high compared to luxury brands since the car is funneling engine noise into the cabin intentionally.. I'd be more concerned with wind and tire noise.

a good sound system would solve all of the above anyway?

avholic 05-01-2012 11:55 PM

Here's the source for the BRZ sound level (bottom 2nd page).

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...napoleon-1.pdf

dsgerbc 05-02-2012 12:05 AM

Why take numbers from different magazine?

IL BRZ test:
Sound level @ idle (dB) 44.2
@ Full throttle (dB) 81.6
@ 70 mph cruise (dB) 69.0

And 1 dB is quite a bit more noise.

avholic 05-02-2012 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rawbz (Post 197692)
Are these figures based on engine noise? I'd expect it to be quite high compared to luxury brands since the car is funneling engine noise into the cabin intentionally.. I'd be more concerned with wind and tire noise.

a good sound system would solve all of the above anyway?

As for tire noise, I'd suppose the BRZ is more quiet with the 215/45/17 'grand touring summer' rated Michelin Primacy compared to my staggered RFTs (225/40/18, 255/35/18). Run flat tires are terribly harsh and noisy.

The BRZ has better aerodynamics and would beat the sedans hands down in that category.

So I think the BRZ's piped-in engine noise contributes to the majority of the 73 dB at 70 mph.

old greg 05-02-2012 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRZ FTW (Post 196804)
My wife just got a 2012 Chevy Cruze, and by comparison the Cruze is dead silent at highway speeds. What should I expect from the BRZ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by avholic (Post 197684)

Those numbers would mean that it's as noisy on the interstate as my '03 WRX. It's not obnoxiously loud, but it will mean you'll need to turn the stereo up, and IMO it starts to get tiresome after about 30 minutes (I wear earplugs on extended drives). It will be ~50% noisier on the highway than your wife's Cruze.

bestwheelbase 05-02-2012 12:13 AM

I can't want to see a comparison where someone measures cabin noise and then removes that Bose-wave-radio-snorkel-dorkel coming off the inlet pipe and shows how much quieter it gets.

I personally don't need anything piped in to my cabin. If the car ain't good enough to hear on it's own, it ain't worth piping into the cabin. Same complaint with the new BMW M5 -- apparently it has some stereo integration to simulate engine sounds. What is the world coming to?

/Rant. :D

avholic 05-02-2012 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bestwheelbase (Post 197710)
Same complaint with the new BMW M5 -- apparently it has some stereo integration to simulate engine sounds. What is the world coming to?

I think you have just given Lexus an idea to integrate engine-noise-cancelling-sound into their sound system.

Subie 05-02-2012 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bestwheelbase (Post 197710)
I can't want to see a comparison where someone measures cabin noise and then removes that Bose-wave-radio-snorkel-dorkel coming off the inlet pipe and shows how much quieter it gets.

I personally don't need anything piped in to my cabin. If the car ain't good enough to hear on it's own, it ain't worth piping into the cabin. Same complaint with the new BMW M5 -- apparently it has some stereo integration to simulate engine sounds. What is the world coming to?

The alternative would be to develop a valve that would be closed below a certain RPM or throttle position to block the noise, but open at higher RPMs or a wider throttle opening to allow the sound to come through.

bestwheelbase 05-02-2012 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avholic (Post 197712)
I think you have just given Lexus an idea to integrate engine-noise-cancelling-sound into their sound system.

Actually they've had active noise cancellation for a long time. Other makers too. Here's an illustration of the system in the Toyota Crown Hybrid (JDM).

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english...53489/ch33.jpg

PS: With all that leg room, nobody would mistake this for an FRS illustration! :lol:

Subie 05-02-2012 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bestwheelbase (Post 197723)
Actually they've had active noise cancellation for a long time. Other makers too.

Even Honda uses it with their VCM implementation. It makes for a seamless transition between 6 and 3/4-cylinder operation.