Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   grinding marbles sound (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110443)

notout86 09-07-2016 10:49 PM

grinding marbles sound

A couple of times recently, when starting off across a non-level surface, at a slight right-turn angle, I have had a grinding sound like marbles rolling around in the diff or left rear wheel area. It only lasts a couple of seconds. On one occasion I started off very slowly (not wanting to scrape the nose), the other time a bit faster. The car was cold one time (travelled 300metres) and hot the other (travelled 30Km.)

The diff is the original equipment torsen one. Its oil was changed about 10,000Km back. The car has done 38,000Km of only normal driving. There are no leaks.

It's an auto and the sound does not seem to come from the transmission. Brake pads are about 30% worn.

Any ideas please people?

humfrz 09-07-2016 11:00 PM

Well, notout86, first I'd suggest you check the axle nut on each side to make sure they are tight.

If that doesn't fix it, I'd suggest carefully checking the rear axle universals to see if they are binding.

Also, you might check to make sure the brake calipers are tight.

humfrz

finch1750 09-07-2016 11:03 PM

It could be a wheel bearing starting to go bad. But it would make the sound all the time and get louder the faster you went (ie rotational issue)

notout86 09-08-2016 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 2748110)
Well, notout86, first I'd suggest you check the axle nut on each side to make sure they are tight.

If that doesn't fix it, I'd suggest carefully checking the rear axle universals to see if they are binding.

Also, you might check to make sure the brake calipers are tight.

humfrz

Thx humfrz. The universals binding sounds likely as the car had one rear wheel higher than the other at the time. Forgive me, I'm no expert but before I get my hands dirty, wouldn't I be hearing the noise often if the reason was because of those suggestions?

RJasonKlein 09-08-2016 01:25 AM

The Torsen LSD in these cars frequently chatters when making turns at low speed. My guess is that's what you're experiencing - if so, it's totally normal and nothing to be worried about.

notout86 09-08-2016 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJasonKlein (Post 2748198)
The Torsen LSD in these cars frequently chatters when making turns at low speed. My guess is that's what you're experiencing - if so, it's totally normal and nothing to be worried about.

Thx RJasonKlein. I am hoping that turns out to be the case but I'm wondering why I have only heard it twice and recently. Maybe it shows up when the diff has worn a little but my car is low mileage and fairly gently driven. As for wear I changed my diff oil twice at 20,000Km.. the first time to flush after seeing the stuff on the magnetic drain plug.

humfrz 09-08-2016 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notout86 (Post 2748186)
Thx humfrz. The universals binding sounds likely as the car had one rear wheel higher than the other at the time. Forgive me, I'm no expert but before I get my hands dirty, wouldn't I be hearing the noise often if the reason was because of those suggestions?

Well, like @RJasonKlein mentioned, it could be that the differential is chattering at you.

However, if the noise persists, especially if it gets worse, I would recommend that you have the axle nuts checked and the axles inspected.

humfrz

Ultramaroon 09-08-2016 02:17 AM

If you had to judge your driving history up to now, is it possible that you have gained a new level of comfort in gassing it through a tight turn?

notout86 09-08-2016 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 2748222)
If you had to judge your driving history up to now, is it possible that you have gained a new level of comfort in gassing it through a tight turn?

Sorry. I don't understand the relevance to the thread or maybe you are too subtle for me.

notout86 09-08-2016 02:29 AM

Thanks everyone. Be assured that if a definitive answer is discovered I will post it.

I'll keep driving and see what happens and follow up on your suggestions if the problem persists.

aegisdrgn 09-08-2016 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notout86 (Post 2748226)
Sorry. I don't understand the relevance to the thread or maybe you are too subtle for me.

I think he means that you've probably taken corners at normal speeds up till now, and now that you're more comfortable with the car, you're taking the corners at speeds approaching "spirited" and since the diff's limited-slip capabilities only kicks in at higher loads, you might actually be hearing it in action now.

I think. One too many :cheers:

turtlefeeder 09-08-2016 03:37 AM

I have this sound issue at the rear of the car right now, I had someone bounce on the open trunk and found out its my LCA join xD might want to have someone sit on your trunk incase 😅😅😄😄

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

notout86 09-08-2016 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aegisdrgn (Post 2748238)
I think he means that you've probably taken corners at normal speeds up till now, and now that you're more comfortable with the car, you're taking the corners at speeds approaching "spirited" and since the diff's limited-slip capabilities only kicks in at higher loads, you might actually be hearing it in action now.

I hope he doesn't think that. As I said, it has only happened when moving slowly, actually around walking pace.

Ultramaroon 09-08-2016 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aegisdrgn (Post 2748238)

Exactly. :cheers: