Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Faster = better mileage. (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56798)

Tromatic 01-27-2014 07:25 PM

Faster = better mileage.

Went camping this weekend and coming home I had the opportunity to travel a bit above the speed limit, once I passed the driving-while-dead crowd. Huh! The FR-S is a very comfy and solid car at33.528 ms-1, and felt perfectly happy in the turns at that same velocity. It must REALLY suck to be one of those clowns who think HP is the only way to happiness.

I got better mileage too according to the Benzina gauge (sure). I will now do my duty to save the Earth by using WOT at every opportunity. Who am I to argue with a highly sophisticated measuring instrument? Perhaps the Italian's are correct, and your car does need to have long periods of WOT to keep it running well.

What a sweet little car just as it comes from the factory. We are lucky to have it.

hunter3232792 01-27-2014 07:27 PM

yes

BlueDubbinTDI 01-27-2014 07:28 PM

:laughabove: I seriously lose like .2 of my mpg average on a tank with each redline, wish my car ran like yours ;)

almedarj 01-27-2014 07:29 PM

That was my experience yesterday and the last to canyon jam sessions

Tromatic 01-27-2014 07:38 PM

Filled up in Seaside and used just 1/4 tank getting back to Portland. Call it 80 miles. No way that is correct. I'm sure if I drive the car tomorrow the thing will read half-a-tank.

Andrew025 01-27-2014 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tromatic (Post 1484436)
Filled up in Seaside and used just 1/4 tank getting back to Portland. Call it 80 miles. No way that is correct. I'm sure if I drive the car tomorrow the thing will read half-a-tank.

That sounds about right.
Depends on how much passing you have to do though.

Tromatic 01-27-2014 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew025 (Post 1484538)
That sounds about right.
Depends on how much passing you have to do though.

I took EVERY opportunity to pass legally, and through some sort of mysterious problem was unable to lift my foot for long distances. Nearly half that trip was spent at WOT in one gear or another.

That would be near 30mpg if my math is correct. I hate math, so "I'm wrong" is my guess. I've never done better than 26 by my calc and the car's math. Do you get better mpg at WOT? I'm in, if that's the case.

Note to the Mercedes SEL driver: Hey, fucking retard! The LEFT lane in a two-lane uphill passing zone is for PASSING the cars on your right, not for a fucking formation drive. Pass, move right. It's not hard unless you are a brain-dead OR driver.

ETA: Perhaps it speaks to my aggressive nature, but if I got passed by a fucking Scion in my 60k BMW, Audi or Mercedes (in the curves, yet) I'd at least offer a little challenge. The FR-S/BRZ/86 are actual budget supercars, like it or not, when compared to about 90% of the rest of the crap on the road.

AWESOME little car.

993Fan 01-27-2014 09:17 PM

You got better mileage because of consistency (ie, not continually stopping and starting), not speed.

Thanks to drag, going faster will always reduce your mileage.

Andrew025 01-27-2014 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tromatic (Post 1484661)
I took EVERY opportunity to pass legally, and through some sort of mysterious problem was unable to lift my foot for long distances. Nearly half that trip was spent at WOT in one gear or another.

That would be near 30mpg if my math is correct. I hate math, so "I'm wrong" is my guess. I've never done better than 26 by my calc and the car's math. Do you get better mpg at WOT? I'm in, if that's the case.

Note to the Mercedes SEL driver: Hey, fucking retard! The LEFT lane in a two-lane uphill passing zone is for PASSING the cars on your right, not for a fucking formation drive. Pass, move right. It's not hard unless you are a brain-dead OR driver.

ETA: Perhaps it speaks to my aggressive nature, but if I got passed by a fucking Scion in my 60k BMW, Audi or Mercedes (in the curves, yet) I'd at least offer a little challenge. The FR-S/BRZ/86 are actual budget supercars, like it or not, when compared to about 90% of the rest of the crap on the road.

AWESOME little car.

Jesus, don't get me started on how stupid people drive on that highway.
Most of the time everyone drives slower than the speed limit but as soon as a passing lane comes up they speed up to 70 or faster. Once the passing lane is over they slow back down. So fucking annoying.

Tromatic 01-27-2014 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 993Fan (Post 1484726)
You got better mileage because of consistency (ie, not continually stopping and starting), not speed.

Thanks to drag, going faster will always reduce your mileage.

Disagree. There was NO consistency on the throttle for half of that trip. Drag goes up with speed. WOT being more efficient seems to be the answer.

zooki 01-27-2014 10:56 PM

Congratulations, you seem to have defied the law of physics.
:w00t:

humfrz 01-27-2014 11:20 PM

DANG, @Tromatic ...... you off your meds .... ??

:respekt:

Gaiakai 01-27-2014 11:31 PM

I get worse gas mileage when I'm stuck behind slow drivers, cuz I end up spending more time in 3rd passing :lol:

fatoni 01-28-2014 12:06 AM

why are you using those units? especially in america.