Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Trailer | Ohlins Install | Interviews With Essex & Ohlins (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50121)

Dezoris 10-28-2013 03:14 AM

Trailer | Ohlins Install | Interviews With Essex & Ohlins

3 Attachment(s)
Ohlins Road and Track Install and Review
Interviews with Essex and Ohlins

Coming Soon
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94TVlU7U6qQ"]Coming Soon | Ohlins and Essex Interviews | C7 Stingray | BRZ FRS Suspension - YouTube[/ame]

We cover install setup and alignment of the Ohlins Road and Track kit.
Then drive 800 miles to Ohlins to tour and interview the staff.

Our next stop was to Essex Performance USA distributor for AP Racing brakes where we interview Jeff Ritter. Talk about brake kits and their upcoming brake setup for the C7 Stingray.

Tansey86 10-30-2013 01:20 PM

I Enjoi this.

CSG David 10-30-2013 01:23 PM

I love Ohlins' attention to detail. The enginerd in me has been satisfied by that build quality.

Dezoris 10-30-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSG David (Post 1303120)
I love Ohlins' attention to detail. The enginerd in me has been satisfied by that build quality.

We saw their F1 dampers and Lemans car dampers. It's beyond reasonable the costs associated with them.

d1ck 10-30-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezoris (Post 1303177)
We saw their F1 dampers and Lemans car dampers. It's beyond reasonable the costs associated with them.

What is it that makes a damper so expensive? Dampers are generally pretty simple devices, so would the additional cost be due to R&D mainly?

RRnold 10-30-2013 02:07 PM

Excellent suspension. :bow:

CSG David 10-30-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d1ck (Post 1303212)
What is it that makes a damper so expensive? Dampers are generally pretty simple devices, so would the additional cost be due to R&D mainly?

Suspension is a black art. There are different schools of thought on how to develop an excellent suspension kit. The damper body is all the same and the function is the same, however, it's all about how you get there and how precise and refined you want to be. That's where it gets expensive. The more refined and higher end the suspension, the better it maintains that tire contact with the road without disrupting the balance of the vehicle.

CSG David 10-30-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezoris (Post 1303177)

I like the Ohlins TTX stuff...2-way, 3-way, 4-way. :drool:

Hanakuso 10-30-2013 02:29 PM

Ohlins and Essex sounds like a match made in heaven

Dezoris 10-30-2013 02:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CSG David (Post 1303244)
I like the Ohlins TTX stuff...2-way, 3-way, 4-way. :drool:

Yeah they are serious and seriously expensive, total art to having them valved and setup properly.

Quote:

In the case of the F1 shock pictured below, they are designed from the ground up. So the F1 dampers for Toyota cost the team 5 Million USD for the year for both cars, that included design, valving and rebuilds after every practice and race. They only last one session before having to be re-bulit.

The shock weighted almost the same as my Galaxy Note 2, and Ohlins said the teams would remove the adjustment knobs and have them build the fixed valving to save even more weight.

Racecomp Engineering 10-30-2013 03:17 PM

Excellent video!

Quote:

Very high tolerances and build quality, quality of materials, R&D, support, etc.
Quote:

Originally Posted by CSG David (Post 1303242)
Suspension is a black art.

Nope! The damper engineers I talk to hate hearing that. It's NOT a black art, it's just a lot of physics and math. To some, well...that is a black art but it really isn't magic. Complicated as hell and painfully intricate, but not magic.

- Andy

CSG David 10-30-2013 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering (Post 1303411)
Excellent video!

Very high tolerances and build quality, quality of materials, R&D, support, etc.

Nope! The damper engineers I talk to hate hearing that. It's NOT a black art, it's just a lot of physics and math. To some, well...that is a black art but it really isn't magic. Complicated as hell and painfully intricate, but not magic.

- Andy

It's magic! :D

On a serious note, there is definitely serious math and physics involved, but also takes a creative mind to really solve those complex problems as well. I don't think my brain can work out the functions involved with such design. I'll stick to being a standard mechanical engineer for now... :slap:

TouchMyHonda 11-01-2013 12:40 AM

Excited

xsuperbeex 11-01-2013 04:08 AM

I want the whole vid now! :mad0259: