Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Software Tuning (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   OFT Tune with aftermarket airbox (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137846)

hpanju 11-20-2019 01:22 PM

OFT Tune with aftermarket airbox

Hey guys
Im new to the scene here and just installed my perrin 2.5 exhaust. Looking to go uel catted header once it warms up a bit here up north. Just wondering if there is a tune option for a catted header with an aftermarket (grimmspeed) CAI on the OFT.

Lincoln Logs 11-20-2019 01:54 PM

You'll need custom tuning to fix the MAF scaling. Just swap on a stock air box, way better than anything on the market.

DarkPira7e 11-20-2019 02:07 PM

Really really, this platform does not benefit from CAI. Other than induction noise.

hpanju 11-20-2019 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkPira7e (Post 3277010)
Really really, this platform does not benefit from CAI. Other than induction noise.

Being 100% honest here. As an 18 year old I wanted that little bit more induction noise, also my first ever mod so I wanted to start with something slow.

hpanju 11-20-2019 02:14 PM

Best option for my situation would be? Ecutek? Dyno tuned?

DarkPira7e 11-20-2019 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpanju (Post 3277012)
Being 100% honest here. As an 18 year old I wanted that little bit more induction noise, also my first ever mod so I wanted to start with something slow.

Simple enough, I had a CAI on my e36 325i because I loved the growl! I would go with the OpenFlash tablet for getting the car tuned with the intake. The intake won't cause your engine to eat itself or anything, it'll just run a little rough on cold starts and possibly lean (which is bad for your engine's health in a big way if you run too lean)

Best game plan - Get an intake (I think the Perrin CAI has the best increase in sound) Get an OpenFlash Tablet and either run one of the off the shelf tunes ( not the best but they work well enough) or get a tune from Shiv at OpenFlash

wparsons 11-20-2019 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpanju (Post 3277016)
Best option for my situation would be? Ecutek? Dyno tuned?

You just need to re-scale the MAF table. You'll need a bunch of data logs, and then there's some tools available to generate the new values. From there you need to edit the tune in RomRaider, save it, upload to the tablet, flash to the car.

EcuTek will be the same process except for what tools are used to edit the actual tune.

hpanju 11-20-2019 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkPira7e (Post 3277031)
Simple enough, I had a CAI on my e36 325i because I loved the growl! I would go with the OpenFlash tablet for getting the car tuned with the intake. The intake won't cause your engine to eat itself or anything, it'll just run a little rough on cold starts and possibly lean (which is bad for your engine's health in a big way if you run too lean)

Best game plan - Get an intake (I think the Perrin CAI has the best increase in sound) Get an OpenFlash Tablet and either run one of the off the shelf tunes ( not the best but they work well enough) or get a tune from Shiv at OpenFlash

Do you know what the cost of getting a tune from Shiv would be? Already running a Grimmspeed Cold Air Intake and I gotta say it does sound nice. Loving the support on this platform, as a first car it’s definitely the best purchase I’ve ever made lol. Thanks for your help seriously.

hpanju 11-20-2019 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wparsons (Post 3277051)
You just need to re-scale the MAF table. You'll need a bunch of data logs, and then there's some tools available to generate the new values. From there you need to edit the tune in RomRaider, save it, upload to the tablet, flash to the car.

EcuTek will be the same process except for what tools are used to edit the actual tune.

Know anyone who can help me with something like this? Not as well versed in the tuning world as I would like.

BigTuna 11-21-2019 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpanju (Post 3277186)
Know anyone who can help me with something like this? Not as well versed in the tuning world as I would like.

Start here: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64790

ROFL it's Waffle 11-27-2019 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpanju (Post 3277012)

Nothing wrong with a CAI as I also love more mechanical induction sounds. As I have learned on my WRX, the location of the MAF sensor should play a big roll in which CAI you go with. My stock airbox had this giant "milk jug" on it that dampened the turbo induction sounds (you'd think the driver would want to hear that). Not sure about the BRZ since I don't own one yet (living vicariously through y'all as I recover from 2nd home purchase).

When it comes to regular maintenance, I never liked needing to break out the Allen wrenches just to open an aftermarket airbox, but my setup had the MAF sensor only accessible from the bottom of the car (got real used to/sick of removing the pop-clips). Seeing that the BRZ intake manifold is on the top of the car vs the bottom of my WRX, maybe this is a non-issue, but something that I hadn't considered until it became a PITA.

As for HP/TQ gains, this is really the wrong car platform for anything that would truly benefit from a CAI. I don't ever calibrate my butt-dyno, but you won't feel anything beyond the psychological "I just did something to my car, I think I felt something different to justify the money/time spent."

churchx 11-27-2019 12:11 PM

ROFL: twins stock intake IS CAI. If you want to generalize, add "aftermarket" to CAI.

Takumi788 11-27-2019 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hpanju (Post 3277186)

Put the stock air box on. Cut the snorkel. Power, reliability and noise.