Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Looking for legal advice (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134215)

guybo 04-20-2019 02:15 PM

Looking for legal advice

Before my wife and I call a lawyer About the warranty issue we have with her 17 Camaro, I figured I'd ask here. Someone has to have had a similar issue.

Background- Superbowl Sunday, in the trunk of her 2017 Camaro RS, there was a small fire and a lot of smoke. In the trunk, under the fuse box there was standing water. Chevy admitted that a clip wasn't installed at the factory and that let water in the trunk. Factory defect on a vehicle covered by factory warranty. There is no disputing these facts, we, the dealership and GM agree. The entire wiring loom for the vehicle has to be replaced with a new part.

But the part is no longer made. It has to be a new part. Chevy has no date on availability. We have no possible date when we'll have the Camaro back. We've never been given a date. The dealership has nothing but excuses and points to Chevy corporate. Chevy won't discuss anything except us waiting on the part. That doesn't exist. That is no longer made. They refuse to do anything else and meanwhile we're in a Cruze loaner from the dealership. It's a shitbox.

So what kind of lawyer deals with this sort of thing? Does anyone have similar experience at all with this sort of thing? What are our options. The car was used, and we're beyond the lemon law time limit.

Ideally GM would buy it back. But if we had the car back fixed 100%, we'd just trade it in. So far we're just being given the mushroom treatment.

humfrz 04-20-2019 04:47 PM

Oh, that's a nasty situation - :(

I'm confused, is the fuse box for the Camaro in the "trunk"?

Trunk being at the back of the car?

Also, it's my understanding the auto manufacturer is obligated to supply repair parts for several years after the automobile was manufactured - :iono:

humfrz

soundman98 04-20-2019 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3209899)
Also, it's my understanding the auto manufacturer is obligated to supply repair parts for several years after the automobile was manufactured - :iono:

yep, there's a law that parts are supposed to be available for 10 years after manufacture..

why? 04-20-2019 07:56 PM

amd frankly even if there was no part they could surely make one. I mean it's not like they don't make wiring looms for cars.

soundman98 04-20-2019 08:16 PM

and it's only 2 years old-- still in warranty.

i think lawyering up and demanding a new car seems fair.

Sapphireho 04-20-2019 08:26 PM

I think I would go for making them buy it back, then go with another brand. I certainly wouldn't want another one.

soundman98 04-20-2019 09:31 PM

with their response to the random airbag deployments, i sure don't trust them..

Tcoat 04-20-2019 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3209971)
yep, there's a law that parts are supposed to be available for 10 years after manufacture..

Would love to see that "law". Pretty sure it is an urban legend.

soundman98 04-21-2019 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3210034)
Would love to see that "law". Pretty sure it is an urban legend.

ok fine. i'm batting a thousand today. another swing.

https://skeptics.stackexchange.com/q...arts-for-a-set

Tcoat 04-21-2019 01:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3210037)

I have heard 100s of people say the same but could never find anything. That sounds about right though.

Funny you can still get pretty much everything NOS to build an engine for a 1912 Model T but can get wiring for a two year old car?

Impureclient 04-21-2019 01:52 AM

Since they have to fix it and you plan on trading it in, can't you just agree to trade it in right now after coming to a trade in price?
Then when they get off their fannies and the parts available, they can fix it whenever.

humfrz 04-21-2019 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3210037)

Did you read the whole thing from your referenced web site?

I got more confused as it went on - :confused0068:

I'm still not sure.

Question: How long will we be able to buy 350 crate engines - :D

humfrz

humfrz 04-21-2019 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3210048)
I have heard 100s of people say the same but could never find anything. That sounds about right though.

Funny you can still get pretty much everything NOS to build an engine for a 1912 Model T but can get wiring for a two year old car?

That referenced read sounds to me like may depend more on the length of warranty and whether or not the part is for an emissions requirement - :iono:

humfrz

soundman98 04-21-2019 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3210053)
Did you read the whole thing from your referenced web site?

I got more confused as it went on - :confused0068:

I'm still not sure.

Question: How long will we be able to buy 350 crate engines - :D

humfrz

i read 95% of it. basically it sounds like isreal is the only country that actually has a law on the record that requires parts to stay available for 7 years, but the caveat is that they can just refund/replace the vehicle as a buyback. GM has almost no business in isreal, so pertaining to this thread, it means that gm likely doesn't have an interest in maintaining the parts requirement.

which means that a reduced-cost replacement, or buyback is going to be more expected for the situation.

overall, i've been less and less impressed with GM as a company in the last couple years. i mean all massive conglomerates have their issues, but GM's taken company bloat and generally ignoring the customer to a level i'm just not seeing in almost any other company..