Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Valve spring repair dealer hub (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131283)

fitcious 11-09-2018 01:34 AM

Valve spring repair dealer hub

Hey, should we use this thread for everyone who completed the valve spring recall to post which dealership they went to, experience, and whether it was done correctly? this can help those who have a hard time deciding which dealer to go to. Just a thought! Thanks

humfrz 11-09-2018 01:39 AM

Good idea.

(this is going to be a long thread -:eyebulge:)

humfrz

BRZnut 11-09-2018 06:59 AM

Are you guys planning to be the first in line to get this done or wait?

WinnaWinna17 11-09-2018 01:06 PM

Have they announced a fix?

fitcious 11-09-2018 03:27 PM

I haven’t heard anything yet

Scir16v 11-09-2018 05:40 PM

On a side note, if you have ever had to have the engine replaced, your car now does not qualify for the recall if a used engine is in the bay. They consider a car as a whole, as one unit. If any parts of those have been removed and replaced with something from another car(i.e. used replacement engine from a place like LKQ), it is not a complete unit anymore.

I contacted Toyota customer service and spoke with a Scion rep there. I called because I have a replacement engine that I had gotten for another FRS that has 65,xxx miles on it, and since it was built in the time frame, I wanted to see if it would qualify.

I was told that if the engine had been replaced, it would not qualify for the recall

Decep 11-09-2018 10:48 PM

so kinda like a sticky but not really?

fitcious 11-09-2018 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decep (Post 3153784)
so kinda like a sticky but not really?

Yup but we can make it sticky

Ultramaroon 11-09-2018 11:22 PM

why?

sofrsnsokleen 11-17-2018 11:58 AM

I actually have a personal experience on this as of this morning. So Tuesday I called my dealer and spoke to someone in service and explained about my knowledge of my Vin showing up on the nhtsa website regarding a recall for the valve springs. After being out on hold she said I would need to bring it in and have it looked at to see if it has been recalled. So I said ok, declined to schedule an appointment and just went on the website to schedule an appointment today, Saturday the 17th.
In the text box I pasted the recall info and submitted. Got a confirmation and showed up today and explained to my service advisor.
After about an hour wait he explained that it is part of a recall but there isn't a fix out for it just yet and that I should expect something from Toyota directly as to when a fix should be available.
So at least I have documentation that I came in to have it looked at just in case anything happens to it before the"fix" arrives.

RZNT4R 11-17-2018 01:07 PM

You guys are jumping the gun on this.

Affected people will likely get a letter telling you "Recall! ... but stay tuned for more info!" and then, weeks or months later, another letter telling you "Ok it's time now, call for an appointment!". They have to organise these things in waves, otherwise you'd have thousands of people with their engines apart at the dealers and back ordered springs everywhere.

Other can kicking up a fuss about not wanting to drive the car and wanting a rental, you're not going to get this done until the proper paperwork has been sent out and they're ready to take your car.

Tcoat 11-17-2018 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RZNT4R (Post 3155935)
You guys are jumping the gun on this.

Affected people will likely get a letter telling you "Recall! ... but stay tuned for more info!" and then, weeks or months later, another letter telling you "Ok it's time now, call for an appointment!". They have to organise these things in waves, otherwise you'd have thousands of people with their engines apart at the dealers and back ordered springs everywhere.

Other can kicking up a fuss about not wanting to drive the car and wanting a rental, you're not going to get this done until the proper paperwork has been sent out and they're ready to take your car.

THANK YOU!
People need to just relax and wait for the system to do it's job. There are 94 known issues across a massive number of cars. The cars affected are all now 5 years old and haven't snapped a spring (with the exception of 3 reports here). The probability of something happening in the next 3 months is remote. If something does happen then they will know the car is covered and fix it. There is no need to have it put on record it is already there.
The dealers and Subaru/Toyota know how to handle recalls. They have done it 100s of times before and are not new to the system. Millions of cars a year get recalled for one thing or another and just because this may be the first time you may be involved doesn't mean it is the end of the world.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...97/718/4da.gif

sofrsnsokleen 11-17-2018 04:50 PM

Didn't know being diligent about your cars health was such a bad thing....
Anywho... When your car shows up on an nhtsa recall site it's not exactly a calming effect.
Some dudes need to chill..

RZNT4R 11-17-2018 07:35 PM

You can be diligent, but you don't just walk into a dealer for a recall before notices have been mailed.

For a dealer, doing a recall is like doing warranty work: they're not doing it for free, they need the recall to actually be ongoing, so they can get repair authorisations, parts and labour codes to get paid by the manufacturer.

And that's not going to happen before official notices are out unless you make a fuss about being scared to drive the car and wanting a rental car paid for and corporate decides you're going to be too expensive in the long run.