Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Scion 10 series headlights (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32289)

gusbarragan 03-29-2013 02:09 PM

Scion 10 series headlights

So I doubt anyone already knows any for sure info and I didnt see a thread already about this topic besides the one that was talking about the whole car. So are the headlights on the 10 Series FRS going to be plug and play? It would make since that this would be the case. Also when will the dealers be able to get these? If any one finds anything post up please.

Fortunate Few 03-29-2013 02:11 PM

I doubt it, the car will most likely be wired like the gt86 and you will need to do the same mods you would have to do to get a jdm 86 light to work.

cfusionpm 03-29-2013 02:12 PM

If dealers do have ability to sell them to non Series 10 owners, I assume like all "special" products from Release Series' it will be stupid expensive.

When I owned my tC RS1, there were a LOT of people who owned standard tC's wanting to replace their front grille with the clean black metal one from the RS1. Turns out it was something ridiculous like $300 for each piece or something. I think they price it specifically to promote the exclusivity of these models. They don't want the stuff on every "regular" one.

switchlanez 03-29-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fortunate Few (Post 827425)
I doubt it, the car will most likely be wired like the gt86 and you will need to do the same mods you would have to do to get a jdm 86 light to work.

That's to get it 100% OEM. But someone may eventually devise a custom harness to make it work. You already have the battery and the lights. You just need a way to correctly connect the two (usually involves a relay and some wires, maybe some kind of circuitry, and the ballasts). I did exactly that with my Celica and OEM HIDs purchased separately and connected via a custom harness.

DuMa 03-29-2013 02:35 PM

are the headlights exactly like the GT86? except it is adjusted for LHD and driving on the right side of the road so the left headlight is adjusted lower than the right headlight?

YourFearlessLeader 03-29-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfusionpm (Post 827433)
If dealers do have ability to sell them to non Series 10 owners, I assume like all "special" products from Release Series' it will be stupid expensive.

When I owned my tC RS1, there were a LOT of people who owned standard tC's wanting to replace their front grille with the clean black metal one from the RS1. Turns out it was something ridiculous like $300 for each piece or something. I think they price it specifically to promote the exclusivity of these models. They don't want the stuff on every "regular" one.

that grill is actually $2000 from the dealership

cfusionpm 03-29-2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YourFearlessLeader (Post 827514)
that grill is actually $2000 from the dealership

Couldn't remember what it was off-hand (because I never needed it :P) but yeah, I remember it was ridiculous. :confused0068:

86_ZN6 03-29-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuMa (Post 827494)
are the headlights exactly like the GT86? except it is adjusted for LHD and driving on the right side of the road so the left headlight is adjusted lower than the right headlight?

the 86 headlights have both LHD and RHD version

so scion is using the LHD version for the series 10

Zaku 03-29-2013 02:50 PM

Don't forget you'll need the lever and all the other stuff to make it work, not to mention they might not even sell it to you. It may for some become the most expensive aesthetic mod of the car, since the argument that I need HID is invalid because you can get HID for $300. We're basing the price off the BRZ headlights, which currently run 684-800$ each that's just the lights nothing else. So you do the math from there. I'm sure someone is gonna get them anyways just if you want to pay for it.

The cars arrive in June so I give it a month after that for part, a month to 3 months, remember they do have issues in logistics with this, part for these are are harder to get than normal due to demand and the fact that only one factory produce these parts.

Mendmyacoustic 03-29-2013 03:04 PM

these look pretty sweet

switchlanez 03-29-2013 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuMa (Post 827494)

I think people are safely assuming it is the EDM LHD GT 86 headlights just D.O.T. approved.

I'm not sure that the left light is adjusted lower than the right (to compensate for highway crowning). Usually the beam cutoff is lower on the left side then slopes up to the right for *each* headlight. Here's a sketch of the left and right beam patterns I'm talking about:

____/-------- _____/-------
(Left cutoff) (Right cutoff)

IloveBaldEagles 03-29-2013 04:35 PM

When the car is released and part numbers are out, then we can know more about it. Until then its assumptions here and there.

OrbitalEllipses 03-29-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaku (Post 827536)
We're basing the price off the BRZ headlights, which currently run 684-800$ each that's just the lights nothing else. So you do the math from there.

That's the full housing Zaku; lights/bulbs/projectors, ballasts, and wiring. No switch though.

Chino 03-29-2013 08:01 PM

I expect the headlights to cost around 2-3K for the set.