Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Options for those damn headrests? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27850)

sikest 01-31-2013 04:37 PM

Options for those damn headrests?

Hey guys

This is my second new car in the last several years to come with those damn fixed head rests with make the car almost unusable for my wife and push my neck down on long trips. The last car was a 2011 Mustang and after 18 months of complaints Ford went back to adjustable headrests. In the mean time the aftermarket came to the rescue with adjustable units in matching leather.

The million dollar quest here is does anyone know of any aftermarket headrests for our car? If not does anyone know if someone is working on some?

Say what you will about government regulation but there are too many cars with adjustable headrests out there for that to have much truth. This simply is the cheapest way to meet whiplash requirements.

Thanks in advance

Shagaliscious 01-31-2013 04:39 PM

You can put them on backwards. Not sure if that helps you, but just a FYI.

Bonburner 01-31-2013 06:20 PM

I love the headrest and i frequently do +2hr drives

sikest 02-01-2013 12:40 AM

I am very happy for you and I suppose if my wife was your exact height and head circumference she would be happy too. That said, she is not and the headrest pushes her head forward in all positions which is why many manufactures make the headrests which are adjustable to accommodate most drivers.

Hopefully someone in the aftermarket will solve this issue for the shorter drivers and passengers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonburner (Post 702937)

coyote 02-01-2013 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonburner (Post 702937)

Just having a keyboard and an internet connection does not mean you have something useful to say.

I'm watching with interest, OP. If this can't be solved, I'll get rid of the car.

That's how much I enjoy the stupid headrests over a 2 hour drive.

chenshuo 02-01-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coyote (Post 703831)
Just having a keyboard and an internet connection does not mean you have something useful to say.

I'm watching with interest, OP. If this can't be solved, I'll get rid of the car.

That's how much I enjoy the stupid headrests over a 2 hour drive.

c'mon man, to @Bonburner 's defense, just because other's typing something that doesn't fit to your entertainment taste doesn't mean you should offend them. Relax.

You can get rid of the car all you want... that being said, did you not notice the headrest BEFORE you bought the car?

stealth_fighter 02-01-2013 11:03 AM

I'm trying to figure out what you mean by fixed headrests. Mine go up and down on both seats and they can be flipped around. If you are talking about the angle of the headrest, i don't recall ever seeing one that was adjustable but again, it can be flipped.

whaap 02-01-2013 11:14 AM

You need to adjust yourself and your seats to a more laid back driving position. After all you're not driving a UPS truck. The design of the seats and the car are more for a laid back (comfortable) style of driving. It will take you only a short while to get use to it. Pull your seat forward just a bit. Lean the back of the seat further back and perhaps pull your wheel out a bit. After all, it might be a stretch to call your car an exotic but it has many features the exotics do and one of those that I particularly enjoy is the laid back driving position.

marine321 02-01-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenshuo (Post 704389)
You can get rid of the car all you want... that being said, did you not notice the headrest BEFORE you bought the car?

Agreed, isn't that what a test drive is for?

jstans84 02-01-2013 11:27 AM

I highly doubt there will be an aftermarket for this simply to accommodate two people. If you hate the headrest you shouldn't have bought the car.

whaap 02-01-2013 11:34 AM

Some of you guys are pretty harsh when someone brings up a particular problem they're having with our car. Don't forget, because of the style of the car and particularly the price of the car it attracts a lot of 1st time buyers and others who haven't been around the automobile scene as long as many of us have. Sarcasm is easy to do but you will find people will think of you better if you take just the minute or two it takes to give a helping hand.
:burnrubber:

Khyron686 02-01-2013 11:38 AM

Posted before, will post again - they are head restraints not headrests. Your head shouldn't be touching it when driving normally. Even with a giant helmet. Accept that YOU may have bad sitting position and adjust/adapt to the new one. Slide the seat back a bit, lean it MORE upright. Sit up straight. Lean it back more. Experiment. Or sell and get a Caprice or Grand Marquis. It's true that all cars can't fit all people and maybe you're one of those people.

Turning them around is just as stupid as removing them entirely. But hey, you can always put some nice mags on your wheelchair. People adjusting them WRONG was the reason they stopped allowing adjustment in the first place.

For the record I went from a mk4 Jetta and I never had a gangsta lean. I found in the FRS I had it much more upright than I expected even more than the Jetta where I was expecting it to be leaned more back. Only 2 or 3 clicks from the first upright. It's fantastic now.

Maybe post a side picture/door open of you sitting in the seat?

shyong 02-01-2013 11:39 AM

Maybe take off the headrest cover and shave down the foam?

Skurj 02-01-2013 12:10 PM

Never had an issue with headrests in any car myself, but!!

About the only option you may have is to visit an upholsterer and have them chop em up to suit.