Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Out of gas at only 9 gallons? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129806)

Whoodoo 08-25-2018 08:43 AM

Out of gas at only 9 gallons?

I took a long road trip recently and the car started acting like it was out of gas after only 270 miles. The fuel gauge was at the 1/4 mark. Luckily I barely made it to a gas station, but it only took just over 9 gallons before the pump shut off.

As I was chugging into the gas station, the check engine light came on, but after two short trips around town, the light went off.

Has anyone had similar issues?

SuperTom 08-25-2018 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whoodoo (Post 3125571)
I took a long road trip recently and the car started acting like it was out of gas after only 270 miles. The fuel gauge was at the 1/4 mark. Luckily I barely made it to a gas station, but it only took just over 9 gallons before the pump shut off.

As I was chugging into the gas station, the check engine light came on, but after two short trips around town, the light went off.

Mine was a few mm away from the empty line and the gas light went on the other day. I'd say almost in between the 1/4 mark and empty mark. Im wondering how many gallons are left when the light comes on. It may come on sooner for these cars since its such a small tank

Bonburner 08-25-2018 04:33 PM

I've found my light turns on after 10 gallons are used up from full, so 3.2 gallon left in the tank with the gas light.

gravitylover 08-25-2018 06:08 PM

My light goes on around 11 gallons used.

Ultramaroon 08-25-2018 06:26 PM

Quote:

You had plenty of fuel.

The check-engine light is not the low-fuel light.

There are a bajillion things that can go wrong which feel like the car is running out of gas because the end result is the same. The engine stumbles.

Check to see if a trouble code was stored. If you have one, share it with us.

FRSBRZGT86FAN 08-25-2018 07:07 PM

Quote:

What? You had a check engine light? Not a low fuel light, and your profile shows you have a vortech supercharger. Time to take it to the tuner or wherever the install was done and have them run the codes and check the tune. Hopefully the code is still there, or you can reproduce it under the same conditions

Ultramaroon 08-26-2018 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN (Post 3125717)
vortech supercharger

I don't see it working out for OP in the long run.

FRSBRZGT86FAN 08-26-2018 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3125829)
I don't see it working out for OP in the long run.

:lol:

How so? The fact that the vortech is a bad supercharger for our cars that was plagued with porblems or his issues diagnosing problems or confusion with the CEL and low fuel light lmao...

Ultramaroon 08-26-2018 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN (Post 3125844)
:lol:

How so? The fact that the vortech is a bad supercharger for our cars that was plagued with porblems or his issues diagnosing problems or confusion with the CEL and low fuel light lmao...

More the latter and that he didn't think to mention his mods in the OP. Shows a lack of appreciation for the added complexity and risk.

Whoodoo 08-26-2018 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 3125850)
More the latter and that he didn't think to mention his mods in the OP. Shows a lack of appreciation for the added complexity and risk.

I didn’t mention any of my mods because I am very skeptical that it has anything to do with the supercharger or the tune. If there has been similar issues with unmodified cars, then that would narrow things down a ton.

Thanks for the input so far. I’ll get the codes read and report back later today.

Ultramaroon 08-26-2018 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whoodoo (Post 3125932)
I didn’t mention any of my mods because I am very skeptical that it has anything to do with the supercharger or the tune. If there has been similar issues with unmodified cars, then that would narrow things down a ton.

Thanks for the input so far. I’ll get the codes read and report back later today.

Ah, gotcha. Well, it's always best to put it all out there up front and let us sort it out. Speaking for myself, I get kinda grumpy when I learn that potentially valuable info had been omitted.

But I keep coming back so I guess I can only blame myself. :D :bonk:

Let us know if your ECU stored any codes. :cheers:

PhyrraM 08-27-2018 11:30 AM

I have similar issues. Stumbling and hesitation around 1/4 tank. No low fuel light and "lean" related codes if I push it. It will eventually refuse to start just as if it was truly out of gas. Fill up is as expected for 1/4 tank left...about 9-10 gallons.

I believe it has to do with the siphon "jet" device that pulls fuel from the right (passenger) side of the tank to the left (drivers) side where the fuel pump is. You can sort of verify this by taking a hard right hand turn to slosh fuel from right to left and see if you get more miles from the tank.

I plan on pulling the pump assembly to make sure it's all assembled properly because I have had it out to install a higher flow fuel pump in the past. The siphon tube is the only hose that that connects to the assembly (at the bottom) inside the tank.

SuperTom 08-27-2018 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN (Post 3125717)
What? You had a check engine light? Not a low fuel light, and your profile shows you have a vortech supercharger. Time to take it to the tuner or wherever the install was done and have them run the codes and check the tune. Hopefully the code is still there, or you can reproduce it under the same conditions

Ill admit I breezed through his comment and didn't realize it was a check engine light and not a gas light.

So when you guys fill back up with gas the check engine light goes away??

Ultramaroon 08-27-2018 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperTom (Post 3126296)
So when you guys fill back up with gas the check engine light goes away??

Yes but then my TPMS starts flashing so I just leave the cap off.