Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   New Oil Change Interval for 2015s? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69840)

tomkozski 07-11-2014 02:30 PM

New Oil Change Interval for 2015s?

Noticed that the oil change interval for 2015 BRZs (and I'm assuming FR-Ss too) has changed to every 6,000 miles. 2013-2014 had the interval at every 7,500 miles. I'm not aware of any changes to the engine or the oil type for the 2015 model. Anyone know why the change was implemented, and should owners of 2013/14 twins follow the new intervals?

FR-S Matt 07-11-2014 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomkozski (Post 1841424)
Noticed that the oil change interval for 2015 BRZs (and I'm assuming FR-Ss too) has changed to every 6,000 miles. 2013-2014 had the interval at every 7,500 miles. I'm not aware of any changes to the engine or the oil type for the 2015 model. Anyone know why the change was implemented, and should owners of 2013/14 twins follow the new intervals?

I say check your own oil and make that decision. Could be they want more money in their service department for oil changes. I would change at that interval for FI. N/A on good full synthetic oil can go 10k depending on how the car is driven.

My 2 cents.

Malt 07-11-2014 06:11 PM

You could start testing your oil like several of us do and use that as a guide as to when to change your oil. Its not unheard of to go 10k+ miles between oil changes. Personally oil and filters is cheap enough its not worth running ultra long drain intervals.

technoid 07-13-2014 01:17 AM

The 7500 scares me. Granddad always said to change it at 3000 no matter what.

They didn't have these synthetic oils at that time, but still I'm a bit concerned about that. The boss races late model's and says to change the filter at 5k and oil at 10k, in the street car, after every race in the race car.

chrisl 07-13-2014 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by technoid (Post 1843575)

Modern engines and oils are dramatically different from granddad's. You can easily go 10k or more on most modern engines with synthetic oil if the engine is seeing fairly light duty (lots of fully warmed up highway miles). I would tend on the shorter side if you're tracking the car or driving really aggressively (or using it on a lot of short trips), but for many people, the long oil change interval is just fine.

N1rve 07-13-2014 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by technoid (Post 1843575)

They didn't have these synthetic oils at that time, but still I'm a bit concerned about that. The boss races late model's and says to change the filter at 5k and oil at 10k, in the street car, after every race in the race car.

We're in a different era from your granddad. Our engines are fuel injected, not carb, our engines are engineered better and are tested to last longer, and our motoroil is different from your granddad's era as well.

We have the technology !

bluesubie 07-14-2014 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomkozski (Post 1841424)
I'm not aware of any changes to the engine or the oil type for the 2015 model. Anyone know why the change was implemented, and should owners of 2013/14 twins follow the new intervals?

No changes with the engine or oil. Speculation is that it is because of the oil guzzling engines that are in some of the other Subaru's (the FB engine) so that dealer's can keep a closer eye on oil level. There was a TSB for the oil control rings and folks with major oil consumption are having major engine work done.

The DIT 2.0 turbo in some models (Forester) seems to be pretty harsh on oil with fuel contmination as well.

-Dennis

sluflyer06 07-14-2014 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FR-S Matt (Post 1841534)
I say check your own oil and make that decision. Could be they want more money in their service department for oil changes. I would change at that interval for FI. N/A on good full synthetic oil can go 10k depending on how the car is driven.

My 2 cents.

You do know the FACTORY writes maintenance schedule not the dealers right? and that the factory doesn't get paid to do the oil changes.

FR-S Matt 07-14-2014 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sluflyer06 (Post 1844976)
You do know the FACTORY writes maintenance schedule not the dealers right? and that the factory doesn't get paid to do the oil changes.

I've also been using synthetic oil for years and you're wasting money if you change the oil that early. Goes right back to checking your oil with your own eyes. My last 4 oil changes in my car weren't even real dark at 9000 miles, but that will change soon when I go S/C.

Three best things you can do for your car: Use good gas, use great oil, and check your fluids constantly.

viscositosis.rex 07-14-2014 09:58 AM

I am not sure exactly what to make of this just yet, but this is significant news. An owner needs to be able to set up a maintenance plan that they can be confident with. Why doesn't every manufacturer just purchase Mazda's high-temperature technology for dealing with GDI-caused intake valve deposits?

bluesubie 07-14-2014 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sluflyer06 (Post 1844976)

Your maintenance schedule was written by Fuji Heavy Industries? Wow! Is it in Japanese or English? ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by viscositosis.rex (Post 1845006)
Why doesn't every manufacturer just purchase Mazda's high-temperature technology for dealing with GDI-caused intake valve deposits?

I think Subaru should have used Toyota's DI technology on the WRX/Forester like they did on the BRZ/FR-S. When the oil lab tells you the oil is shot at 1,200 miles due to fuel contamination, you've got a problem. Meanwhile, most manufacturers are extending their intervals on xW-20's.

-Dennis

JasperNoone 07-14-2014 03:31 PM

So is this OCI change retroactive? Not that I do 7.5K mile changes anyway, usually closer to 6K.

bluesubie 07-14-2014 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasperNoone (Post 1845664)
So is this OCI change retroactive? Not that I do 7.5K mile changes anyway, usually closer to 6K.

Officially, no. Unofficially, it probably depends on the dealer IMO.

I suspect some dealers will adopt 6k across the board to make it easier for themselves to remember. Of course, you're only required to change according to the warranty booklet.

Some more info:

Quote:

Dear Mr. bluesubie

Thank you for taking the time to contact Subaru of America, Inc. regarding our recommendations for engine oil.

Yes, for the 2015 models, we will be recommending oil changes every 6,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first. Information as to why this change is being implemented is not available. Such information would be proprietary within Subaru. ...
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...a_cuts_OCI_to_

-Dennis

JasperNoone 07-14-2014 03:50 PM

Interesting, a poster suggests there was a valvetrain change for 2015. Not sure I've seen any info on that.