Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Can BRZ headlights and hvac be installed on FR-S? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8484)

MemphisR 06-12-2012 12:20 AM

Can BRZ headlights and hvac be installed on FR-S?

I am looking to be purchasing an FR-S so I can take my AW-11 off the road but I was wondering a few things before I make up my mind to go with the FR-S. I am wondering if the hvac controls and headlights can be changed over from the BRZ to the FR-S. I ask this only because I like the look and price on the FR-S but I love the headlights and hvac controls on the BRZ. If any one knows and could tell me that would be much appreciated. Thanks

Mr.Jay 06-12-2012 01:08 AM

Be cheaper to buy a BRZ and turn it into a FRS

:search:

MemphisR 06-12-2012 03:40 AM

How about just the lights from a GT86 or BRZ?

kmbkk 06-12-2012 09:23 AM

Again, cheaper to just buy a BRZ. You'll pay more for the headlights than the price difference between the 2 cars.

MemphisR 06-12-2012 11:40 AM

True. Thanks for your comments guys. I guess I'm just used to how simple and easy it is to modify my MR2

tripjammer 06-13-2012 02:06 PM

I just realized it is cheaper to buy a BRZ and turn it into a toyota 86....dammit!

Ess Vee 06-13-2012 02:13 PM

The brz headlights ARE the same dimensions as the FR-S, so you are able to just swap with no hassle.

Here's my reference for the headlights.

Also, if you want the HVAC and ac-control unit from the BRZ as well, one thing to note is that the BRZ limited trim (priced at $27,495) is the one that has this ac-control unit:
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8164/7...24dbc2cef0.jpg

The premium version (base model priced at $25,495) has the SAME ac-control unit as the FR-S ($24,930), not the one depicted above.

That being said, we just have to wait and see if just swapping out the parts will cost less than $2,565 (the cost difference of an FR-S and limited trim BRZ), which I'm sure it'll be less. I called up my Subaru dealer just minutes ago and they don't have a parts catalog yet.

I'm looking to do the exact same thing you are, lol.

F-Bomb 06-13-2012 02:51 PM

I've been interested in if that'll swap out too. But that's all I'd wanna do is just the hvac and I'm pretty sure it's not gonna be $2000 for the unit and possibly harness lol. And as for the headlights, there's no doubt gonna be aftermarket lights that will look way better than the us-spec lights :D

SubaruOnlineParts.com 06-13-2012 03:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
We are looking for a local (Long Island ,NY) member to work out the details in exchange for us providing all parts required at dealer cost. Right now on our site we are offering the headlamps for sale excluding the ballast/bulbs. A few things we would like to clear up are:
  • Will the lamp physically fit with no modifications and look and perform correctly
  • Will the FR-S plug fit the BRZ headlamp jumper harness
  • If an aftermarket HID kit is used is the BRZ jumper harness required?
  • How will the turn signals be effected, Are the FR-s indicators in the headlamp like the BRZ if not will FR-S owners be happy leaving these inop?

Below is the parts diagram for the BRZ , Lets open up this discussion to hammer out the details.

Ess Vee 06-13-2012 04:51 PM

Just found this :)

Right Headlamp

Left Headlamp

So, you're looking at about $1,000 to get HID's. I wonder how much you could sell the stock FR-S headlamps for...

Also, for kicks... I think I'll be getting this too :)

r4m3n 06-13-2012 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ess Vee (Post 256593)
Just found this :)

Right Headlamp

Left Headlamp

So, you're looking at about $1,000 to get HID's. I wonder how much you could sell the stock FR-S headlamps for...

Also, for kicks... I think I'll be getting this too :)

You might want to look at the post right above yours... also, those are just the headlight housing. Still a good deal though :)

Ess Vee 06-13-2012 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r4m3n (Post 256624)
You might want to look at the post right above yours... also, those are just the headlight housing. Still a good deal though :)

OMG :bonk::bonk::bonk: LOL, derrr... Thanks :bellyroll:

Dadhawk 06-13-2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubaruOnlineParts.com (Post 256395)
We are looking for a local (Long Island ,NY) member to work out the details in exchange for us providing all parts required at dealer cost. Right now on our site we are offering the headlamps for sale excluding the ballast/bulbs. A few things we would like to clear up are:
  • Will the lamp physically fit with no modifications and look and perform correctly
  • Will the FR-S plug fit the BRZ headlamp jumper harness
  • If an aftermarket HID kit is used is the BRZ jumper harness required?
  • How will the turn signals be effected, Are the FR-s indicators in the headlamp like the BRZ if not will FR-S owners be happy leaving these inop?

Below is the parts diagram for the BRZ , Lets open up this discussion to hammer out the details.

First, glad to see you guys joined up! We were communicating via email today.

Look forward to seeing you put this together for folks that want it. Wish I was local!

SubaruOnlineParts.com 06-13-2012 06:13 PM

Hello and Thanks ,

We are glad to be here as well , We like putting together mods most vendors shy away from but of course there is alot of information we need to gather and share in order for this to work.

One other thought we had was as to what the opening on the back of the BRZ lamp looks like and if an aftermarket HID kit will be adaptable.

From the previous illustration above there seems to be a High/Low actuator that either moves the bulb or the reflector when switching from high to low beam.

This may make it alot more difficult to go the aftermarket HID route.

We are awaiting arrival of a headlamp so we can research this and will keep everyone posted.

If there is anything else you are looking for BRZ related feel free to PM us

Thanks for the support!