Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Headlights - Bright Enough? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71969)

lfgrdwill 08-11-2014 08:41 PM

Headlights - Bright Enough?

What do you guys think of the headlights? Are they too dim? I know of the manual adjustment feature.

I would be coming from a 2006 civic with HIDs added myself.

cnk 08-11-2014 09:11 PM

I think they're fine. However, if you are coming from a civic that just had the regular reflector housings with a HID lamp kit, then you may think that the lights aren't as bright. I say this because a reflector housing shoots light all over the place while a projector housing has a distinct cut off so as to not blind oncoming traffic.

I had 5000K HID's in a projector housing on my 02 WRX and the BRZ lights are just as bright.

mike the snake 08-11-2014 09:30 PM

I find the low beams to be too low. They cut off abruptly, and do so too close to the front of the car. Basically they don't shoot light out far enough.

I found that I could raise the lights slightly by loosening the top screw that holds the headlight on, and lifting the light, and while holding the light up and tightening the screws the lights adjustment stayed higher. Much more acceptable.

Cope52 08-11-2014 09:34 PM

^^ did you spin the dial up on the dash?

Majik 08-11-2014 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cope52 (Post 1894529)

This

krayzie 08-11-2014 09:50 PM

A good set of headlights have to offer good contrast so you can see different objects properly, brighter doesn't necessarily mean better.

Fitting a cheap ricer HID kit in a halogen housing is illegal and just retarded by blinding on-coming traffic.

ZionsWrath 08-11-2014 09:51 PM

I have mine set to the highest setting. At times I feel they are too low but the majority of roads I drive have lighting so it's not an issue for me.

Formula Vee 08-11-2014 09:58 PM

They're absolutely fine. I've owned cars with regular halogen headlights most of my life, and those were fine too.

HeadBanger 08-11-2014 10:51 PM

Bright enough?
Hell yes!

This is my first vehicle with HIDs - First with projectors even. I'm not too fond of the way the light just cuts out, but I'm getting used to it.

ayilar 08-11-2014 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krayzie (Post 1894555)
A good set of headlights have to offer good contrast so you can see different objects properly, brighter doesn't necessarily mean better.

Indeed. On my C350, the bi-xenons' illumination of the road is good with normal beams but truly like daylight if I can turn on the high beams: they are _that_ good. The BRZ's xenons are nowhere close. Love my BRZ but not its headlights.

mike the snake 08-12-2014 02:49 PM

Yes, I did adjust the headlights up via the dial on the dash. The low beams still do not project far enough forward, and cut off too abruptly.

Raising the lights as I did helped a little.

My BRZ lights don't compare to the Xenons on my previous car (BMW 135i).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cope52 (Post 1894529)

Akari 08-12-2014 05:59 PM

The OEM lights on my BRZ are plenty adequate with a great cut off line. It sounds like a lot of people in this thread are used to crappy headlights that throw light all over the place which is dangerous as hell.

The goal of headlights isn't to throw as much light as high as possible but rather to light up the road in front of you and have a good, solid cut off line. This provides contrast to help you see yet doesn't blind oncoming traffic.

Cope52 08-12-2014 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike the snake (Post 1895760)
Yes, I did adjust the headlights up via the dial on the dash. The low beams still do not project far enough forward, and cut off too abruptly.

Raising the lights as I did helped a little.

My BRZ lights don't compare to the Xenons on my previous car (BMW 135i).

Yeah the sharp cutoff is dangerous. If you go down hill for a bit you literally can't see anything until the nose of the car comes up again. I have to drive with my high beams on just to see deer. Every halogen on all my previous cars were better. And the horn wouldn't scare a racoon.

HeadBanger 08-12-2014 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akari (Post 1896158)
The OEM lights on my BRZ are plenty adequate with a great cut off line. It sounds like a lot of people in this thread are used to crappy headlights that throw light all over the place which is dangerous as hell.

The goal of headlights isn't to throw as much light as high as possible but rather to light up the road in front of you and have a good, solid cut off line. This provides contrast to help you see yet doesn't blind oncoming traffic.

I live in the country.
When I say country, I mean bum-fuck-nowhere. You can't always have your high beams on. I feel the beam doesn't go far enough forward, and then the high beams seem to never end.

I guess that in my opinion the headlights are a little too focused. I came over from a '91 Civic wagon. Those lights sucked (was probably just my bulbs that are due), but it's as if I prefer them since they spread what little light they emit better.

I drive with my lights set at 1. 0 is the highest setting. The adjustment seems pointless to me if I'm truthful. I've never though "HEY! You know what would be great? If I could only see 3 feet in front of my car!":bonk: