Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Moving FA20 Engine Position further back? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73640)

iBoost 09-06-2014 03:28 PM

Moving FA20 Engine Position further back?

Hi FT86'ers,

Has anyone tried moving the stock engine further back towards the rear of the car to improve handling? (This would require shortening the transmission's shifter extension for manual cars and shortening the driveshaft = not too difficult to do) If yes, how much of a difference did you notice when driving the car?

I've read a few posts and engine swappers comment they thought the original motor is too far forward, so was curious if anyone has tried this mod or is planning to.

Thanks. :)

EZWood 09-06-2014 03:51 PM

Seems like a lot of trouble

stugray 09-06-2014 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iBoost (Post 1934666)
Hi FT86'ers,

Has anyone tried moving the stock engine further back towards the rear of the car to improve handling?

This car already HAS one of the lowest CGs of any production car BECAUSE they put the engine so far back and low.

You could make it a cayman and put the engine in the back seat & change the trans/diff to a transaxle.... Just like my OTHER Mid-engine 2.0L boxer engine car....

ptuning 09-06-2014 04:06 PM

The engineers put the engine back as far as they could. Since the engine is a flat four and not an inline four, the steering column would have to pass through the driver's side cylinder head if it were moved back any further. Basically, it sits back as far as it can right now due to the engine layout. Way down the road when manufacturers develop steer by cable systems, this can definitely be done.

- Toan

Calum 09-06-2014 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptuning (Post 1934708)
The engineers put the engine back as far as they could. Since the engine is a flat four and not an inline four, the steering column would have to pass through the driver's side cylinder head if it were moved back any further. Basically, it sits back as far as it can right now due to the engine layout. Way down the road when manufacturers develop steer by cable systems, this can definitely be done.

- Toan

Hydraulic steering already exists, its just very illegal on the road. Oh, and heavy.

Apoc 09-06-2014 07:50 PM

Quote:

Hi FT86'ers,

Has anyone tried moving the stock engine further back towards the rear of the car to improve handling? (This would require shortening the transmission's shifter extension for manual cars and shortening the driveshaft = not too difficult to do) If yes, how much of a difference did you notice when driving the car?

I've read a few posts and engine swappers comment they thought the original motor is too far forward, so was curious if anyone has tried this mod or is planning to.

The current Front/Rear ratio is 53/47 and as is ideal according to the Chief Engineer Tetsuya Tada. He comments on this around 5:15. The COG isn't a problem either and any engine swapper would be raising this with nearly all engine options out there.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHVhaTNRk8E"]2013 Scion FR-S/Toyota 86 Chief Engineer Tetsuya Tada Interview - YouTube[/ame]

Apoc 09-06-2014 07:56 PM

Also this smells like another troll attempt. Please link the posts where engine swappers say the engine too far forward.

Captain Snooze 09-07-2014 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apoc (Post 1935005)
The current Front/Rear ratio is 53/47 and as is ideal

The whole x/y weight distribution thing is something that gets mentioned by the marketing people as another sales point. "Ideal" for what? Formula cars are not close to 53/47. Neither are 911 type Porsches. It is just one facet of a very complex system. That figure of 53/47 says nothing about the way in which that weight is distributed. Centralised mass vs barbell. Just more pub talk.
[/rant]

BlaineWasHere 09-07-2014 07:25 AM

I moved my engine so far back I pull it with a trailer. Noobs.

puma 09-07-2014 08:21 AM

well sorry for all those who don't give a damn, i was also curious about that and when you see all the space there is between the firewall and the engine, you wonder if it can be moved back. I also took a look at it for our race car but but as Ptuning said, the steering rack is the big proble, you could probably move it like 1/2 or 1" but not worth the trouble just for that.

i don't know what's with all the hate on this forum once someone asks a question little out of the ordinary. It seems like you are dumb for asking a question other than what catback sounds best...

Mikem53 09-07-2014 08:22 AM

Have you ever looked under the hood of this car yourself?
You should...

Quote:

Hi FT86'ers,

AJPG 09-07-2014 08:38 AM

Quote:

Hi FT86'ers,

Sir,
Have you drive an 86?
Have you read someone complain about handling of the 86?
Are you a troll? :lol:

AJPG 09-07-2014 08:59 AM

Yes you are!

I remember, you are the one with a very fast and cool forester.
Dude is way cheaper to mod your forester that currently is 7mph faster in turns than the 86...
As I told you, some suspension upgrade, nice tires 255 on front and bucket seats... Anyway you won't pay even 20k for the car, let alone move the engine :lol:

Andrew025 09-07-2014 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apoc (Post 1935012)
Also this smells like another troll attempt. Please link the posts where engine swappers say the engine too far forward.

http://www.vorshlag.com/forums/showthread.php?p=57906

Scroll down and read below this picture in the link
http://vorshlag.smugmug.com/Projects..._DSC3048-L.jpg

Not that I agree, but there it is.