Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Software Tuning (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   open flash tablet overheating (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126857)

J41v33 04-11-2018 07:18 PM

open flash tablet overheating

(title correction: open flash tablet not turning on due to warm weather)

So Ive recently ran into a very annoying problem with my tablet.

I purchased my tablet during the winter, and its been pretty cold in California until recently. Its been 80+ degrees the past few days, and every time i get into my car to plug my tablet in, it goes into usb mode as if it was connected to a computer. This only happens when its over 80 degrees outside. It plugs in and turns on no problem in the morning before i go to work.

I'm guessing that the circuit board inside the tablet is warping in the warm temperature causing something to short and its causing the tablet to think its in usb mode. The only way to make it work is to cool the tablet down with my AC blasting for 15 minutes.

You would think that a tool used to tune a car and monitor a car would be able to withstand inside car temperatures.

I already contacted OFT on their new support site a couple days ago and haven't gotten a response. I've also contacted FT86speedfactory where i purchased it and they're trying to contact OFT as well since the last time I emailed OFT about something they never got back to me.

Does this happen to anyone else?

ATaraxias 04-11-2018 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J41v33 (Post 3071308)
(title correction: open flash tablet not turning on due to warm weather)

So Ive recently ran into a very annoying problem with my tablet.

I purchased my tablet during the winter, and its been pretty cold in California until recently. Its been 80+ degrees the past few days, and every time i get into my car to plug my tablet in, it goes into usb mode as if it was connected to a computer. This only happens when its over 80 degrees outside. It plugs in and turns on no problem in the morning before i go to work.

I'm guessing that the circuit board inside the tablet is warping in the warm temperature causing something to short and its causing the tablet to think its in usb mode. The only way to make it work is to cool the tablet down with my AC blasting for 15 minutes.

You would think that a tool used to tune a car and monitor a car would be able to withstand inside car temperatures.

I already contacted OFT on their new support site a couple days ago and haven't gotten a response. I've also contacted FT86speedfactory where i purchased it and they're trying to contact OFT as well since the last time I emailed OFT about something they never got back to me.

Does this happen to anyone else?

Yes, my OFT flashes the following warning at me when it gets too hot.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/...6636074159.gif

J41v33 04-11-2018 07:40 PM

No way! I never get that warning.

ATaraxias 04-11-2018 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J41v33 (Post 3071321)
No way! I never get that warning.

Have you found yourself granny-shifting or not double-clutching like you should be? Those are often related issues here.

Sapphireho 04-11-2018 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATaraxias (Post 3071328)
Have you found yourself granny-shifting or not double-clutching like you should be? Those are often related issues here.

Is that you ludwigmiles?

Teseo 04-11-2018 09:52 PM

I always leave my oft on the glove box and when use it for data logging i use a cellphone mount where is atached near of the AC vent

J41v33 04-12-2018 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ATaraxias (Post 3071328)

I never double clutch, could that be the issue? Omg thanks for the help! I’ll go on YouTube right now and learn. Thanks!

Yoshoobaroo 04-12-2018 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J41v33 (Post 3071538)
I never double clutch, could that be the issue? Omg thanks for the help! I’ll go on YouTube right now and learn. Thanks!

Careful that 100 shot of NOS doesn't blow the welds on the intake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SuperTom 04-12-2018 07:12 AM

Why don't you try Fat Burger from now on?

Submarinesonce 04-12-2018 07:51 AM

mine stays in the glovebox unless its being used to flash or log

mswbrz 04-13-2018 05:35 PM

Oft is a joke in my worthless opinion

Yoshoobaroo 04-13-2018 06:12 PM

open flash tablet overheating

Quote:

Originally Posted by mswbrz (Post 3072380)
Oft is a joke in my worthless opinion

You're entitled to your opinion.

Doesn't change the fact that it's the only well supported open source tuning solution for this platform. The maps are well tested and the datalogging setup works well. That and it's 1/3 the price of this platform's default solution.

I trusted OFT to tune both my turbo BMWs, no reason why this application is any different.

steve99 04-13-2018 08:53 PM

Most devices are manufactured in several temperature grades. Broadly accepted grades are:
  • Commercial: 0 ° to 70 °C
  • Industrial: -40 ° to 85 °C
  • Military: -55 ° to 125 °C

Leaving a electronic device in full sun in summer inside locked car is likely push the boundary on standard LCD screens

Typically, standard LCD character and graphics modules provide a temperature range of 0°C to +50°C. However, several display manufacturers offer extreme temperature models with operating temperatures of -40°C to +80 or +85°C.

https://www.digikey.com.au/en/articl...e-temperatures

86geek 04-13-2018 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sapphireho (Post 3071382)
Is that you ludwigmiles?

Lmfao! Haven't heard that name in a long time! :D

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn: