Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Young and Dumb VS. Old and Wise (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33304)

Still Tripped 04-10-2013 12:50 PM

Young and Dumb VS. Old and Wise

Just purchased a new firestorm FR-S, should be ready by the end of the week, and I'm super pumped. Here's my question for some of the owners that are in there 30's and up. Has it ever crossed your mind that you feel to old to drive this type of car?

I should be all the wiser to know that this car is not practical living in MN, but I do have a winter beater. Now I just turned 39 years old a few days ago. I don't have kids, my GF and I own a house, and I've been at working for the same company for 20 years. I think I have my crap together for the most part. I've always loved sports cars, I just sold my 86 Porsche 944 turbo a couple years ago and I loved it till the maint. expenses were getting to costly. Now before I ordered the FR-S I was at a crossroad, do I get back into sports cars or a boring sedan? Logic and practicality says to me, go sedan. More passengers, MPG's, safety ratings etc. etc. etc…. I'm going with my passion and love for driving sports cars! I guess my attitude is I only live once, so get or do what you want…..responsibly or within your means. Please excuse the ramble, but I was just curious if there was any other owners out there that had these thoughts cross there mind prior to there purchase. I'm sure once I roll off the lot I won't think twice about it.

Thanks for your time!:iono::happyanim::party0030:

5hairpins 04-10-2013 12:52 PM

Over 40 and I would not give my FR-S up for any reason. You only get one life, live it up.

SkullWorks 04-10-2013 12:55 PM

Nope never crossed my mind,

Granted I'm "only" 28 but I run a business (or 2) have my shit relatively sorted...blah blah blah.

I think actually that the BRz suits many demographics very well, the FR-s kills me with those red seat accents...but on a red car it looks correct, mature, and upscale...IMHO...

I was trying to get my dad to get one but he bitches about the ride, and the roads on oahu are horrible I guess.

If "old" men can drive Caymans around, there is no reason to second guess buying the 1/2 price cayman killer...more intelligent really

bdub85 04-10-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still Tripped (Post 855150)
Just purchased a new firestorm FR-S, should be ready by the end of the week, and I'm super pumped. Here's my question for some of the owners that are in there 30's and up. Has it ever crossed your mind that you feel to old to drive this type of car? I should be all the wiser to know that this car is not practical living in MN, but I do have a winter beater. Now I just turned 39 years old a few days ago. I don't have kids, my GF and I own a house, and I've been at working for the same company for 20 years. I think I have my crap together for the most part. I've always loved sports cars, I just sold my 86 Porsche 944 turbo a couple years ago and I loved it till the maint. expenses were getting to costly. Now before I ordered the FR-S I was at a crossroad, do I get back into sports cars or a boring sedan? Logic and practicality says to me, go sedan. More passengers, MPG's, safety ratings etc. etc. etc…. I'm going with my passion and love for driving sports cars! I guess my attitude is I only live once, so get or do what you want…..responsibly or within your means. Please excuse the ramble, but I was just curious if there was any other owners out there that had these thoughts cross there mind prior to there purchase. I'm sure once I roll off the lot I won't think twice about it. Thanks for your time!:iono::happyanim::party0030:

I'm not in my 30's yet (not too far away), but I do know that I never give a flying you know what about what other people think. Do what makes you happy.

You'll love the car.

Fish Eagle 04-10-2013 12:58 PM

59 and loving my 86 :thumbup:

Can you ever be "too old" for an 86?

MVJ1975 04-10-2013 01:00 PM

I'm 38, divorced, with a 9 year old son. I see no reason to drive an automotive appliance just because society says I should.

The FR-S is an affordable, fun-to-drive car. It's even reasonably practical.

boead 04-10-2013 01:01 PM

You cant be too old BUT you can be too fat!

NOW that would make a good Poll.

How tall and heavy are you??

I know a couple of people that cant (and I wont let them) fit in the car without spilling over the center and out the door!

akuhei 04-10-2013 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Still Tripped (Post 855150)
Just purchased a new firestorm FR-S, should be ready by the end of the week, and I'm super pumped. Here's my question for some of the owners that are in there 30's and up. Has it ever crossed your mind that you feel to old to drive this type of car? I should be all the wiser to know that this car is not practical living in MN, but I do have a winter beater. Now I just turned 39 years old a few days ago. I don't have kids, my GF and I own a house, and I've been at working for the same company for 20 years. I think I have my crap together for the most part. I've always loved sports cars, I just sold my 86 Porsche 944 turbo a couple years ago and I loved it till the maint. expenses were getting to costly. Now before I ordered the FR-S I was at a crossroad, do I get back into sports cars or a boring sedan? Logic and practicality says to me, go sedan. More passengers, MPG's, safety ratings etc. etc. etc…. I'm going with my passion and love for driving sports cars! I guess my attitude is I only live once, so get or do what you want…..responsibly or within your means. Please excuse the ramble, but I was just curious if there was any other owners out there that had these thoughts cross there mind prior to there purchase. I'm sure once I roll off the lot I won't think twice about it. Thanks for your time!:iono::happyanim::party0030:

Safety ratings so far have been really good. I drive an MT and get 27-28 mpg (was averaging over 30 before I did my Visconti tune). And if you dont have any kids, no need for lots of passengers. I say..have fun with it. One final note, I've heard that the 86 is marketed more towards the over-40 market in Japan, as they are the ones who can afford to own/drive one.

so...:burnrubber:

Huehuecoyotl 04-10-2013 01:10 PM

40 going on 41 and building it right

coming out of a turbo this wont be new to you
get snow tires,
dont experiment unless you have the money to
and stick with proven vendors and study the solution, its merit and its heritage before you buy

you can have the same honeymoon the 944 offered initially, longer with less cost
I'll get another 911, for sure, but not giving this thing up either

DarkSunrise 04-10-2013 01:30 PM

No such thing as "too old" for this car. If anything, I think it would have a natural appeal to older folks who love and remember classic sports cars like Austin Healeys, TVR's, and Triumphs (or even Miatas, 2000GT's, or 240z's).

fatoni 04-10-2013 01:37 PM

i think the too old thing is a lot like the gay thing the miata has to deal with. its not a real issue with the driver but is exists entirely in the perspective of the viewer. a perspective that can neither enhance or diminish your experience unless you allow it.

Dustin 04-10-2013 01:39 PM

I'll be 30 this year, have 2 kids, a house, steady job, yada yada yada. The way I look at it, I've kept my shit together all these years so this car is like a gift to myself for maintaining. I have my quad cab Tacoma for practical driving, although since I got my frs I don't think I've even put 500 miles on the Tacoma. Live it up. You only get 1 chance so have fun while you can.

Beyer Subaru 04-10-2013 01:40 PM

I think you explained everything very eloquently. But I don't believe this car to an "age" appropriate situation.

I feel that there is a time in everyones life when they need to throw caution to the wind and buy a "fun" car like this or a Miata, Gen Coupe, etc. That being said my youngest customer was 21 and my oldest customer was 76.

SkullWorks 04-10-2013 01:48 PM

I thought the cars had an average demographic of '86' year olds?

Am I missing something?

Maybe aimed at people born in '86?

There has to be something to that silly number...average owner IQ?