Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Northwest (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Anyone Else's Car Stranded? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114489)

Prmspen 01-11-2017 01:45 PM

Anyone Else's Car Stranded?

Did anyone else's car get stranded by last night's snowpocalypse?

I ended up working late last night, and by the time I was ready to go home the snow had hit hard. Given that I'm on stock rubber, I left my car at work. Now it looks like the snow will be around for a couple of days, so the BRZ will be hanging out at the brewery for while.

I checked the forecast yesterday morning before I left for work, and it didn't look bad at all. Oh well...

Jonesy86 01-11-2017 02:43 PM

Stranded in the garage. :)

Ultramaroon 01-11-2017 02:51 PM

Saw my man in a red one on the news last night.

johan 01-11-2017 03:19 PM

@Prmspen then you were looking at the wrong forecast my friend. Every forecast I looked at in the last 3-4 days showed Tuesday night as the start of 24 straight hours of snow. I am glad though that you didn't even try to drive your car home.

Bog86 01-11-2017 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonesy86 (Post 2830042)
Stranded in the garage. :)

+1, my MPSS do not drive great in colder conditions :/

Prmspen 01-11-2017 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johan (Post 2830087)
@Prmspen then you were looking at the wrong forecast my friend. Every forecast I looked at in the last 3-4 days showed Tuesday night as the start of 24 straight hours of snow.

Clearly!

No big deal. It's parked legally, so I'll pick it up after civilization ends in Portland. Which should be tomorrow, at this rate.

jasonojordan 01-11-2017 04:00 PM

Mines stranded on jack stands till I finish powder coating my wheels does that count?

8RZ 01-11-2017 04:01 PM

What's snow?

Said every Floridian ever.

johan 01-11-2017 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8RZ (Post 2830152)
What's snow?

Said every Floridian ever.

fu

Florida is the only state in the USA that doesn't currently have some snow on it. Even Hawaii has some.

BillWeiss 01-12-2017 02:38 AM

Yup. I'm the jackass stranded on the Morrison bridge. Current word from the police is that I won't be able to get a tow until tomorrow or Friday :/ It's off on the shoulder, eastbound side, right after the cloverleaf entrance. Ypu can even see my shame on the city traffic camera :(

BillWeiss 01-12-2017 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johan (Post 2830087)
@Prmspen then you were looking at the wrong forecast my friend. Every forecast I looked at in the last 3-4 days showed Tuesday night as the start of 24 straight hours of snow. I am glad though that you didn't even try to drive your car home.

What forecast site do you like? I'm in the same boat. Darksky said it wasn't going to be too bad until late. It clearly lied to me.

EAGLE5 01-12-2017 02:46 AM

Snow in Portland? LOL.

Dadhawk 01-12-2017 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8RZ (Post 2830152)
What's snow? Said every Floridian ever.

Well, not ever, I researched this a bit when I lived in Florida. It has snowed in Florida, particularly the Panhandle, but as far south as Homestead (I think it was mid 70s sometime). Of course, hurricanes are more likely. I think I would take the occasional annual snow shower over the occasional hurricane.

Quote:

Originally Posted by johan (Post 2830163)
Florida is the only state in the USA that doesn't currently have some snow on it. Even Hawaii has some.

The snow in Hawaii is because of elevation so while snow is snow it probably isn't impacting anyone. If Florida had 13,000 ft above seal level mountain tops, it would get snow too. I don't think any of the landfills have gotten quite that tall yet though.

davmandave 01-12-2017 08:25 AM

Mine is snowed in, but safely in my parking lot :)

I am starting to miss driving. I don't have any real reason to drive, so I am skipping winter tires this season. Which means it hasn't left the spot I parked it in early last month when the temperatures dropped.

Prmspen 01-12-2017 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillWeiss (Post 2830473)
What forecast site do you like? I'm in the same boat. Darksky said it wasn't going to be too bad until late. It clearly lied to me.

I used weather.com, which also got it very wrong. Tuesday morning it said some light snow late at night, then high 30s and rainy on Wednesday. I figured any snow that fell would be gone quickly. I need to find another site.

8RZ 01-12-2017 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadhawk (Post 2830518)
Well, not ever, I researched this a bit when I lived in Florida. It has snowed in Florida, particularly the Panhandle, but as far south as Homestead (I think it was mid 70s sometime). Of course, hurricanes are more likely. I think I would take the occasional annual snow shower over the occasional hurricane.

The snow in Hawaii is because of elevation so while snow is snow it probably isn't impacting anyone. If Florida had 13,000 ft above seal level mountain tops, it would get snow too. I don't think any of the landfills have gotten quite that tall yet though.

We actually had snow flurries one year when I lived in Tallahassee. I also used to live in upstate NY so I've lived through my fair share of blizzards lol. No thanks.

Dadhawk 01-12-2017 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8RZ (Post 2830561)
We actually had snow flurries one year when I lived in Tallahassee. I also used to live in upstate NY so I've lived through my fair share of blizzards lol. No thanks.

Yea, I went Hurricane Andrew in Florida and blizzards in DC/Maryland...I vote for neither, hence Georgia. We do have the occasional tornado but I just make sure to live the appropriate distance from a mobile home park. Close enough for it to be a diversion, far enough so I'm out of the target rich environment.

Prmspen 01-12-2017 06:18 PM

Update - they plowed the street I'm parked on, and now my car is buried up to its wheels in a snow mound. With temperatures staying below freezing until Tuesday, I guess I'm in for a BRZ-free weekend.:mad0260:

wbradley 01-12-2017 08:14 PM

C'mon, a little snow on the ground doesn't eclipse legal weed!

Prmspen 01-17-2017 11:11 AM

Yesterday I got all the snow and ice off the windows, ready for the snow to melt enough for me to finally get my car out. And today we're having an ice storm. At least it means I can work from home. Those Lyft rides to the office are getting expensive.

Prmspen 01-19-2017 11:16 AM

We are reunited! Finally managed to dig my car out last night and get it home. :thumbup:

Ultramaroon 01-19-2017 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prmspen (Post 2834899)
We are reunited! Finally managed to dig my car out last night and get it home. :thumbup:

Haha... yay!

ragequitfail 01-19-2017 05:54 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...5a9dd6ef8f.jpg

Pass this on my drive home from work. Been out there for a good while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prmspen 01-19-2017 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragequitfail (Post 2835253)

Pass this on my drive home from work. Been out there for a good while.

Wow. Hope the warm temperatures help them get free.

Ultramaroon 01-19-2017 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prmspen (Post 2835286)
Wow. Hope the warm temperatures help them get free.

Doesn't look like anything a shovel and a little push wouldn't fix. ...now, I mean.

Looks sad and vulnerable.

BillWeiss 01-20-2017 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillWeiss (Post 2830471)
Yup. I'm the jackass stranded on the Morrison bridge. Current word from the police is that I won't be able to get a tow until tomorrow or Friday :/ It's off on the shoulder, eastbound side, right after the cloverleaf entrance. You can even see my shame on the city traffic camera :(

Since evidently this is where I tell people my failings, got the car back today. It got towed by the city Wednesday night (after they told me Wednesday morning I couldn't get a tow... geez). I flew out of town Thursday morning for a week. The friend who was going to go get the car slipped on the ice and cracked her elbow, meaning she couldn't drive the car...

So, I finally get back, I go to pick up the car. I'm expecting it to be expensive (~$200 for the tow, plus $25/day storage) and it is. It's even in good shape, if needing a wash. What I wasn't expecting was an $80 parking ticket that they evidently slapped on it as they towed it. :mad0260:

Ultramaroon 01-20-2017 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillWeiss (Post 2835518)
What I wasn't expecting was an $80 parking ticket that they evidently slapped on it as they towed it. :mad0260:

Could've been much worse. The shit show is over as long as no one gets caught up in a mud slide.

Prmspen 01-20-2017 01:00 PM

Quote:

I'm expecting it to be expensive (~$200 for the tow, plus $25/day storage) and it is. It's even in good shape, if needing a wash. What I wasn't expecting was an $80 parking ticket that they evidently slapped on it as they towed it. :mad0260:

That sucks. Glad you got your car back though.

Ultramaroon 01-20-2017 01:15 PM

Quote:

What I wasn't expecting was an $80 parking ticket that they evidently slapped on it as they towed it. :mad0260:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 2835523)
Could've been much worse. The shit show is over as long as no one gets caught up in a mud slide.

Yeah, apologies if I sounded like I was minimizing. Didn't mean to come off like that. Just glad you got it home safely. :cheers:

BillWeiss 01-20-2017 09:58 PM

Ah, you're fine :) I totally chalked it up to "well, this sucks, but I'm ok and the car is ok". Same thing I said when I walked away from it that evening. Heck, I didn't even know then if the car would be ok. So, in that regard, it went way better than expected!

And, while expensive, I learned a lesson or two about the car.

RedFRS4me 02-04-2017 03:41 AM

I learned my lesson back in 2014 when it snows in portland just park the car at home and catch a ride or borrow a capable vehicle. these cars without winter tires/chains (no not all seasons) are not safe to drive around roads that have a decent amount of hills and slopes. Portland has so many and once covered in ice and snow are a bad idea for our cars unless you have winter tires or chains. I have a set of brand new studded tires in my storage that I used once in ice and they are amazing. I'm just too lazy and sore after changing the tires, which is why they haven't been on since 2014 lol. Studded tires are pretty heavy. Plus I have an SUV I can drive lol.

dutchman1 02-05-2017 10:49 AM

I keep some cable chains in my trunk but haven't needed them yet. I've been able to get around the greater Seattle area just fine on stock robber all winter. That being said, there's not a lot of traction. Smooth inputs are key lol. Also, turn off the traction control because it seems to get all confused in the snow. I though I was stuck in my driveway until I turned it off, and then I drove right out.