Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Audible shifter rattle (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13664)

Hanzo 08-03-2012 01:58 PM

Audible shifter rattle

Sorry I had to start a new thread since some shifter threads were about the pattern cap coming off. I get this audible shifter rattle in all gears around 4000 rpm and up where it rattles during acceleration, constant throttle, and deceleration. I even took the shift knob off and it still rattles so it has nothing to do with the knob. Anyone experiencing the same thing?

Sigh-on-Rice 08-03-2012 05:05 PM

Does it rattle even when you have your hand on the shift nob? I've never heard my shifter making rattle noise. I always keep my hand on the shift nob unless I'm just cruising at a speed.

Hanzo 08-03-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sigh-on-Rice (Post 357817)
Does it rattle even when you have your hand on the shift nob? I've never heard my shifter making rattle noise. I always keep my hand on the shift nob unless I'm just cruising at a speed.

Yes the rattle changes pitch if hold on to it.

Sigh-on-Rice 08-04-2012 05:01 AM

FYI, I tried slowly revving to 6k rpm with my hand both on and off the shifter. It did not make any audible noise. The shifter didn't shake any more than when it's in neutral at idle too. I later tried going back and forth between 50 mph and 60 mph in 2nd (up to red line) on freeway, but it made no noise.

Hanzo 08-04-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sigh-on-Rice (Post 358896)
FYI, I tried slowly revving to 6k rpm with my hand both on and off the shifter. It did not make any audible noise. The shifter didn't shake any more than when it's in neutral at idle too. I later tried going back and forth between 50 mph and 60 mph in 2nd (up to red line) on freeway, but it made no noise.

Thanks for testing it, maybe mine is an isolated case or maybe your engine runs smoother because of the fuel you use.

ultra 08-05-2012 11:08 AM

I have the exact same noise. Rattle comes from the shift lever starting from 4000rpms and up. Sound varies slightly depending on load & throttle.

Just picked my car up from the 1k service and they claim that it's 'normal'.

Tried removing the shift knob, even driving without it. With no knob it's a little quieter but still there.

I've popped the shift cap off and krazy glued it, still there.

Thinking of swapping shift knobs?

Hanzo 08-05-2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultra (Post 360485)
I have the exact same noise. Rattle comes from the shift lever starting from 4000rpms and up. Sound varies slightly depending on load & throttle.

Just picked my car up from the 1k service and they claim that it's 'normal'.

Tried removing the shift knob, even driving without it. With no knob it's a little quieter but still there.

I've popped the shift cap off and krazy glued it, still there.

Thinking of swapping shift knobs?

Noh I like oem. Also it has nothing to do with the knob.

Superhatch 08-05-2012 11:22 AM

I have a buzz/rattle too, but if I remove my knob the sound completely goes away.

Have you removed your knob during one of these events to find out if it is the cause? If it is, not a huge deal because it can be fixed with a aftermarket knob.

If it's still there, then you might have a potentially bad issue. If the knob removal doesn't fix it I would next try replacing the oem shifter bushing.

ultra 08-05-2012 11:30 AM

Yeah Hanso you're right, it's not the actual knob. Unfortunately that's just the only part I can fiddle with myself at the moment.

It seems more like the shift lever itself is transmitting whatever noise it is into the cabin.

Thinking that, other than something inside the transmission case, it might be the reverse lockout cable, or the shifter bushing, or perhaps some heat shield or something contacting the transmission. Really no clue though and the dealer wasn't helpful at all. Hoping you might have better luck having someone in the States troubleshoot yours.

At any rate it's annoying. If I can figure out how to get the centre console off I might have a peek but I'm no big time mechanic.

If the tranny goes...warranty. :)

ultra 08-05-2012 02:38 PM

PS, if you try revving your car up in neutral while parked can you replicate the rattle?

Also, oddly, mine only seems to do it once the car's warmed up. Doesn't seem to rattle at all first thing in the morning on my way to work.

Hanzo 08-05-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superhatch (Post 360499)
I have a buzz/rattle too, but if I remove my knob the sound completely goes away.

Have you removed your knob during one of these events to find out if it is the cause? If it is, not a huge deal because it can be fixed with a aftermarket knob.

If it's still there, then you might have a potentially bad issue. If the knob removal doesn't fix it I would next try replacing the oem shifter bushing.

It still makes the noise without a knob. I don't think there is anything wrong with the shifter bushing other than it's pretty stiff consider how much vibration our engine makes.

Hanzo 08-05-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultra (Post 360745)
PS, if you try revving your car up in neutral while parked can you replicate the rattle?

Also, oddly, mine only seems to do it once the car's warmed up. Doesn't seem to rattle at all first thing in the morning on my way to work.

I don't think it rattles when it's not in gear.

ultra 08-05-2012 03:30 PM

I'm able to hear the rattle when revving the engine way up while in neutral. Blipping only - if I hold it steady at high RPMs I can't hear it.

I can replicate it easily and consistently at WOT from 5k up in every gear from 2nd onwards (1st too short and 5th and 6th too tall to be sure). Knob or no knob. Happens.

Could be shifter bushings but since our cars are pretty new stuff shouldn't really be anywhere near to wearing out yet.

At least I know I'm not the only one so thanks. The description of your shifter rattle sounds identical to mine and it's been driving me nuts since it's the only flaw with an otherwise perfect new car. Mine's had it since new as far as I can tell (although I didn't drive it hard until very recently due to the break in period).

Please do chime in if you figure it out (or the stealer does).

The only other cure might be a loud ass exhaust or something to drown out the rattle with more noise. :p

Jayde 08-05-2012 03:59 PM

I've noticed the rattle too. Seems to be coming just from below the shifter boot where it meets the collar, since I can grasp the area with my hand and noise does change.