Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Any opinions on WORKS stage 2 turbo kit and Corsa catback? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132971)

zac8 02-14-2019 12:55 PM

Any opinions on WORKS stage 2 turbo kit and Corsa catback?

Pretty much planning on purchasing both in a few days... putting on my BRZ tS. Idea is trying to make it like it should of came from factory since being the tuned by sti model.... estimated power will be around 240 whp and 200 wtq on 93 pump.

anyone got some opinions or knowledge on the WORKS stage 2 turbo kit or the Corsa catback exhaust?

the turbo kit seems very safe with very conservative numbers.

Summerwolf 02-14-2019 12:58 PM

The works kits have odd powerbands from what I have seen posted. They make a lot of concessions to stay CARB certified.

Personally, I would look at different kits. The ptuning kit has a lot of satisfied customers and has been proven if you want to keep a similar turbo placement, otherwise there is p&l, JDL, and other front mount kits.

The corsa exhaust has been discussed at length on the forum. Good sound, quality and fitment. A bit on the heavier side.

zac8 02-14-2019 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summerwolf (Post 3186000)
The works kits have odd powerbands from what I have seen posted. They make a lot of concessions to stay CARB certified.

Personally, I would look at different kits. The ptuning kit has a lot of satisfied customers and has been proven if you want to keep a similar turbo placement, otherwise there is p&l, JDL, and other front mount kits.

The corsa exhaust has been discussed at length on the forum. Good sound, quality and fitment. A bit on the heavier side.

I would be getting the non carb certified kit. It just seems to be the most reliable kit from the hp/tq numbers its producing

Summerwolf 02-14-2019 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zac8 (Post 3186008)
I would be getting the non carb certified kit. It just seems to be the most reliable kit from the hp/tq numbers its producing

I believe they're the same for either V1 or V2 that they're both CARB certified. The change would be in the tuning, but the kit is physically the same.

I would wager that the Ptuning or JDL etc would be the same, if not more reliable. You also have a much larger pool of long term examples running either kit. There aren't a whole ton of works kits running around.

If you really want a reliable FI solution at your power goal, JRSC or edelbrock springs to mind. Those are obviously supercharger kits but what is your actual goal with the car?

zac8 02-14-2019 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summerwolf (Post 3186026)
I believe they're the same for either V1 or V2 that they're both CARB certified. The change would be in the tuning, but the kit is physically the same.

I would wager that the Ptuning or JDL etc would be the same, if not more reliable. You also have a much larger pool of long term examples running either kit. There aren't a whole ton of works kits running around.

If you really want a reliable FI solution at your power goal, JRSC or edelbrock springs to mind. Those are obviously supercharger kits but what is your actual goal with the car?

my goal is pretty much reliability first and nothing too crazy in terms of power. I do not plan on tracking it. My budget is no more than 6k. Invoice from WORKS puts me around 4.8k for the kit with some add ons and a tune. I looked up the Ptuning kits and those are definitely out of my price range.

Summerwolf 02-14-2019 02:00 PM

6k budget would get you a full race or JDL kit installed. A base ptuning kit is 5795.00.

A JRSC kit is below 4k. Lots of options. Lots of reliable examples running around.

Do quite a bit of research and make your own decision.

zac8 02-14-2019 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summerwolf (Post 3186057)
6k budget would get you a full race or JDL kit installed. A base ptuning kit is 5795.00.

A JRSC kit is below 4k. Lots of options. Lots of reliable examples running around.

Do quite a bit of research and make your own decision.

Appreciate your feedback sir!

HachiRokuX 02-14-2019 02:32 PM

Corsa owner here. It sounds fantastic and makes the car go from almost whisper silent to sounding more like a V6/V8 engine.

Cold starts at 6am are brutal, I think my neighbors get annoyed sometimes. Also you will possibly get more attention from cops, try not to go WOT too much...

If I could do it all over again, I would choose the CSG Touring exhaust and pair it with an ace header to fly under the radar a bit more.

Jackson Racing pros:

-cheaper than Edelbrock
-makes the car sound like a Jet
-easy install (from what I’ve read)
-can install a blowoff valve for an even more unique sound while shifting
-reliable and track tested
-lighter than the edelbrock, giving you (potentially) better balance (25-50lbs from what I’ve read)

JRSC cons:

-centrifugal style supercharger, mainly builds boost in the higher RPMS

Edelbrock pros:

-Better powerband (it’s a roots style SC, lots of low end torque while still having lots in the high rpms).
-Edelbrock warranties your power train as long as you are under 36k miles or so.

Edelbrock Cons:

-slightly heavier than JRSC (50-100lbs)
-more invasive install as you have to put the Edelbrock manifold in your engine bay, on top of your engine
-mostly silent, no cool noises like JR SC.

Hope this helps in some way. I don’t know anything about turbos, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zac8 02-14-2019 02:48 PM

Thanks @HachiRokuX

Sounds like the perfect cat back for me then =] I am pretty sure adding the turbo will quiet it down a bit, so i've heard... Thanks for the info on superchargers but I am having my brother install the turbo kit and hes already done a bunch of turbo installs.

Cops around here are pretty reasonable and i have never been pulled for my borla catback on Impreza. So I should be fine. Thanks

HachiRokuX 02-14-2019 04:02 PM

Any opinions on WORKS stage 2 turbo kit and Corsa catback?

Quote:

Originally Posted by zac8 (Post 3186076)
Thanks @HachiRokuX

Sounds like the perfect cat back for me then =] I am pretty sure adding the turbo will quiet it down a bit, so i've heard... Thanks for the info on superchargers but I am having my brother install the turbo kit and hes already done a bunch of turbo installs.

Cops around here are pretty reasonable and i have never been pulled for my borla catback on Impreza. So I should be fine. Thanks

I’ve heard a lot of 86 exhaust setups and the Corsa is definitely top 5, imo. In the cold it gets extra raspy and sounds incredible.

Edit: Amazon actually has it for 887.32, but you’ll have to wait a month to get it. The black tip version is much more expensive.

EAGLE5 02-14-2019 04:40 PM

Works is meh. JRSC is the sensible choice.

zac8 02-14-2019 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HachiRokuX (Post 3186106)
I’ve heard a lot of 86 exhaust setups and the Corsa is definitely top 5, imo. In the cold it gets extra raspy and sounds incredible.

Edit: Amazon actually has it for 887.32, but you’ll have to wait a month to get it. The black tip version is much more expensive.

I am definitely going to get the black tips =] will look cool since car is black. does the exhaust ever make any pops for you?

zac8 02-14-2019 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsimon7777 (Post 3186125)
Works is meh. JRSC is the sensible choice.

I like the power numbers but i'm not really looking for a supercharger. What do you feel is wrong with the works kit?

EAGLE5 02-14-2019 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zac8 (Post 3186205)
I like the power numbers but i'm not really looking for a supercharger. What do you feel is wrong with the works kit?

I haven't looked recently, but when it first came out, it was a lot of money for a kit that got very little power. It was designed to be the only CARB compliant kit, and so it has compromises that other kits don't have.

If I were going to do a street turbo, those cheap SBD kits are just fine. If I wanted to pay a lot for a kit, the Ptuning stuff looks the best designed.

Then again I've had the car for 5+ years now and I haven't added a turbo or supercharger. With a header and tune, the car makes enough power to have fun while not so much that you cannot wring it out. We have other cars for acceleration.