Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Member's Car Journals (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   stevesnj - 2016 Build thread (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83762)

stevesnj 03-02-2015 05:49 PM

stevesnj - 2016 Build thread

Yeah I know, how can i have a build thread for a car that isn't even out?!?
Well it seems the 86/FRS will have the same exact styling as previous MY's so I
will start a journal from pre-purchase to dealer experience to add on item installs.
So needless to say this will be a comprehensive journal/build thread and a long read sometimes
since I like to write so just enjoy!

Okay I started this build thread before I even have an FR-S mostly because
I haven’t seen a pre-purchase build thread on here (I'm not searching), and two, I am bored.
But it would be interesting to write about how everything transpires with my future car.

A little background on why I chose the FR-S as opposed to any other Front engine- Rear Wheel drive-Sports car is that first of all it looks beautiful. I always liked the
smaller form factor RWD sports cars like the 240Z and similar. But what caught my eye about this car is the mix of contemporary with a hint of the classic RWD car.
In 2012 I heard grumblings about the 86 from online blogs but didn’t pay too much attention until 2013 when a friend of mine got his 2013 FR-S in Ultramarine.
When I saw it the hair on my arms stood up. It was stunning! It’s a manual and blue and low to the ground but not body scraping low and it looked fun to drive.
He allowed me to drive it twice for a few minutes and after the first drive I jumped up and down when I got out of it. I was so elated I decided right there and then
I wanted one in Blue my favorite color. I owned a 79 Camaro, in blue, ironically painted ‘Marina Blue’, and fixed that up with the A -typical small block Chevy.
It wasn’t fast, only thirteens in the 1/4 mile but I didn’t care, it was fun to drive. It was loud but not obnoxiously and needed a lot of maintenance ALOT.
But looking back it taught me how to work on cars I had the bug for since I was younger. With 330 HP and RWD 3.73 (weak) rear Positraction rear it was a handful.
No traction control ABS, or other thingamabobs for traction, it was simple gas pedal, brake pedal and quick steering moves to keep it tamed. I never thought
I would get a chance to have a fun car like that again. I did have an Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce But I drove it only once and it was a fast little car for a 4cyl with
mechanical fuel injection. But I sold it a few months later. So not being married or having kids it's great to have the freedom to buy whatever I want.
So my choice is to pay for it outright with a years worth of insurance paid off as well. Now all I need to worry about is putting fuel in it. Great peace of mind
knowing a bank doesn’t have the title to MY car. So after going through the forum, and saving for about about a year or so I will have the money I need
to purchase in late June or in July, I figured since the car styling is the same as previous years I should just get the add ons before I get the car and have
my add ons ready to install in the first week I own it so I’ll have everything I want and minimal downtime.

So here is my pre-purchase item’s list;

Car Purchase 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
-6MT
-No factory add ons IE. rear spoiler, TRD exhaust, floor mat option, appliqués etc. Just bare bones…an empty canvas to me.

Pre-purchase items
-TRD QuickShifter (the stock throw is too long for my taste) - Installed
-TRD Exhaust - Installed
-TRD lowering springs - Installed
-3DCarbon (Five Axis) Rear wing - Installed

So i think that would be a good start and I can do the work all myself which saves me a bunch of $$$.

Wish list items (not needed right away)
-Under tray kit
-16” wheels and tires
-LED headlights…I have these on my Land Cruiser and work amazing. only $60 pair 2000 lumen each, more $$ I'm sure for the FR-S bulb.Installed
-LED turn signal bulbs - Installed
-Rear diffuser
-86Nanny - Installed
-Antenna delete (this is a tough one to get done but I don’t like any antenna on top of this car).

So that’s it. I’ll update this as I purchase stuff and of course when i get this amazing car. ~steve

stevesnj 03-02-2015 08:41 PM

So yeh that was quick, I was looking up the fiveAxis rear spoiler and to my horror it has been discontinued. But the owner Troy gave me contact info on the company that absorbed all their old stock and they are now producing the spoiler. The company is 3Dcarbon in California http://www.3dcarbon.com/

Here is the contact info for the sales guy I delt with

Colbert Krong
Sales & Customer Service Manager
D: 714-632-1709 x318
P: 949-650-1999
F: 949-650-0895
E: Colbert@3dcarbon.com

I contacted them and asked what he had left of the 5Axis stock and he has more spoilers coming in and shipping this week.
So after talking to him I was able to get an Unpainted spoiler for $235! $375 for the painted version which I cant get because the paint code isnt available for the 2016 Blue. To me I got a good deal. It should be at my door next week sometime. 1 item down 4 to go!

irax 03-02-2015 08:56 PM

How did you manage to get a 2016 model FRS when it's only February

stevesnj 03-02-2015 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irax (Post 2154000)
How did you manage to get a 2016 model FRS when it's only February

I don't have a 2016, it isn't out yet.

irax 03-02-2015 09:03 PM

Wait... I'm confused... Did you already start the paper work and put a down payment for a 2016 Model ? Why do a '16 model when the '15s are out now?

stevesnj 03-02-2015 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irax (Post 2154012)
Wait... I'm confused... Did you already start the paper work and put a down payment for a 2016 Model ? Why do a '16 model when the '15s are out now?

Please read my first post, too much to explain here.

swarb 03-02-2015 10:20 PM

Jumping the gun a little(lot) no? If I remember correctly, the 2015 model years weren't available until around mid Septemberish.

stevesnj 03-02-2015 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swarb (Post 2154085)
Jumping the gun a little(lot) no? If I remember correctly, the 2015 model years weren't available until around mid Septemberish.

Nope :) But I dunno when they came out actually, could of been September, I thought June or July

Actually just found out the 2015 tC and FR-S came out in June 2014 Makes sense to have them available in the summer.

stevesnj 03-07-2015 05:38 PM

So I went to the sales lady at Toyota where my family and I have been going to for over 15 years and I told her what I want to do. She said that they get the inventory of what will be on the shipment to and out of Newark in May and that if I pay for the car they will only allow me to drive it and it will not be allowed to be driven as a test driver car since the VIN would be released to me to title it and it will be my car and only the transport and lot persons will be driving it. So great news! She is calling me in May when the inventory is released to them. Getting excited!!

Fakk 03-09-2015 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesnj (Post 2160045)
So I went to the sales lady at Toyota where my family and I have been going to for over 15 years and I told her what I want to do. She said that they get the inventory of what will be on the shipment to and out of Newark in May and that if I pay for the car they will only allow me to drive it and it will not be allowed to be driven as a test driver car since the VIN would be released to me to title it and it will be my car and only the transport and lot persons will be driving it. So great news! She is calling me in May when the inventory is released to them. Getting excited!!

Starting from 0 sounds awesome.
I like this thread. People may not agree with buying things for a car you don't have, but i'm currently out of country, in the same boat. I've been saving a shitload over the past 5 months. I have a spreadsheet of all the parts I want, with alternates, along with prices of new/used cars based on mileage and addons. I read people's experiences every day, and adjust my spreadsheet as I see problems and solutions. I think what you are doing is a great idea.

stevesnj 03-09-2015 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fakk (Post 2161416)
Starting from 0 sounds awesome.
I like this thread. People may not agree with buying things for a car you don't have, but i'm currently out of country, in the same boat. I've been saving a shitload over the past 5 months. I have a spreadsheet of all the parts I want, with alternates, along with prices of new/used cars based on mileage and addons. I read people's experiences every day, and adjust my spreadsheet as I see problems and solutions. I think what you are doing is a great idea.

Yeh I do what I want not what other people say. It's the way i want it done and it worked out. I already bought a spoiler and TRD quickshifter. I'll see what cheaper item's to buy. I don't want to tap into the car fund...lol

thanks for kind words.

DustinS 03-09-2015 10:54 AM

The LED Headlight bulb isn't the best idea. It has been proven the output is not good, even in a projector. The light isn't being distributed into the bowl correctly and "scatters" the light, actually making output worst. Kind of the same way putting HIDs in a halogen based reflector may look better, but actually perform worse. I recommend the TRS mini-morimoto retrofit with a quality HID for the best performance.

All the other stuff looks really quality and I look forward to the build!

Koa 03-09-2015 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevesnj (Post 2153698)
Yeah I know, how can i have a build thread for a car that isn't even out?!?
Well it seems the 86/FRS will have the same exact styling as previous MY's so I
will start a journal from pre-purchase to dealer experience to add on item installs.
So needless to say this will be a comprehensive journal/build thread and a long read sometimes
since I like to write so just enjoy!

Okay I started this build thread before I even have an FR-S mostly because
I haven’t seen a pre-purchase build thread on here (I'm not searching), and two, I am bored.
But it would be interesting to write about how everything transpires with my future car.

A little background on why I chose the FR-S as opposed to any other Front engine- Rearwheel drive-Sports car is that first of all it looks beautiful. I always liked the
smaller form factor RWD sports cars like the 240Z and similar. But what caught my eye about this car is the mix of contemporary with a hint of the classic RWD car.
In 2012 I heard grumblings about the 86 from online blogs but didn’t pay too much attention until 2013 when a friend of mine got his 2013 FR-S in Ultramarine.
When I saw it the hair on my arms stood up. It was stunning! It’s a manual and blue and low to the ground but not body scraping low and it looked fun to drive.
He allowed me to drive it twice for a few minutes and after the first drive I jumped up and down when I got out of it. I was so elated I decided right there and then
I wanted one in Blue my favorite color. I owned a 79 Camaro, in blue, ironically painted ‘Marina Blue’, and fixed that up with the A -typical small block Chevy.
It wasn’t fast, only thirteens in the 1/4 mile but I didn’t care, it was fun to drive. It was loud but not obnoxiously and needed a lot of maintenance ALOT.
But looking back it taught me how to work on cars I had the bug for since I was younger. With 330 HP and RWD 3.73 (weak) rear Positraction rear it was a handful.
No traction control ABS, or other thingamabobs for traction, it was simple gas pedal, brake pedal and quick steering moves to keep it tamed. I never thought
I would get a chance to have a fun car like that again. I did have an Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce But I drove it only once and it was a fast little car for a 4cyl with
mechanical fuel injection. But I sold it a few months later. So not being married or having kids it's great to have the freedom to buy whatever I want.
So my choice is to pay for it outright with a years worth of insurance paid off as well. Now all I need to worry about is putting fuel in it. Great peace of mind
knowing a bank doesn’t have the title to MY car. So after going through the forum, and saving for about about a year or so I will have the money I need
to purchase in late June or in July, I figured since the car styling is the same as previous years I should just get the add ons before I get the car and have
my add ons ready to install in the first week I own it so I’ll have everything I want and minimal downtime.

So here is my pre-purchase item’s list;

Car Purchase 2016 FR-S Azurite Blue (JDM color name)
-6MT
-No factory add ons IE. rear spoiler, TRD exhaust, floor mat option, appliqués etc. Just bare bones…an empty canvas to me.

Pre-purchase items
-TRD QuickShifter (the stock throw is too long for my taste)
-TRD or Perrin Exhaust (still undecided since I want nicer sound from stock, just not too loud)
-TRD lowering springs
-3DCarbon (Five Axis) Rear wing - PURCHASED
-Rear garnish cutout for quad exhaust tips. I like the quad tips but the TRD muffler and quad tip setup is about $1,200. I’m not paying that I’ll just add quads.

So i think that would be a good start and I can do the work all myself which saves me a bunch of $$$.

Wish list items (not needed right away)
-Under tray kit
-16” wheels and tires
-LED headlights…I have these on my Land Cruiser and work amazing. only $60 pair 2000 lumen each, more $$ I'm sure for the FR-S bulb.
-LED turn signal bulbs
-Rear diffuser
-Antenna delete (this is a tough one to get done but I don’t like any antenna on top of this car).

So that’s it. I’ll update this as I purchase stuff and of course when i get this amazing car. ~steve

I'd shy away from LED headlights without a specific LED housing system (read: $$$$$$$$$$)
See what Diode Dynamics found in their trials of LED vs Halogen vs HID using stock housings
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81340

If you're keen on improving the shifting experience, in addition to the TRD QS kit, I recommend the following:

Easy clutch grab adjustment (FREE)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8040

Ultramaroon's Forester XT Slave Cylinder Retrofit - Awesome pedal feel for $50
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2029349

Mtec springs (don't let the people complaining about that stubborn passenger nut get you discouraged- clean the loctite from the threads and is an easy install)

Enjoy!

SkAsphalt 03-09-2015 11:46 AM

I had a pre-purchase build on a launch year car....