Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Bad experience while getting my car service (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12393)

haloterence 07-21-2012 11:19 PM

Bad experience while getting my car service

After carefully breaking in my car. I decided to do an oil change. To my surprise I gotten a letter from Power/Autonation for complimentary first oil & filter change. It was a totally separate deal from the Scion maintenance program. Thinking that I just scored, I schedule myself an appointment. I was actually quite hesitant to take it to a dealership from watching the youtube vids and people posting negative experiences about having their car serviced. So as a safety precaution I cleared my trip A mileage reader to Zero to see how many miles they were going to put on the car. I marked an X on top of the oil filter. So that I know If the filter has been changed. I also told my adverser if they can put on the fumoto drain valve that I brought in.

Well, it pays to be paranoid sometimes. Especially with our beloved FR-S.

before
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/4993/imag0119e.jpg

after
http://img72.imageshack.us/img72/1096/imag0123vb.jpg

So I got a call 2 hours later that my car is done. When I arrived to pick up my car. My service adverser came to greet me and told me that there wasn't any problem with my new car. I ask him where they put the original drain plug. He told me that the service department wouldn't allowed any aftermarket product that wasn't purchased through them to be added on. OK, fine I was thinking in my head. Then this strange thought about if they even changed the oil?. Pop my hood and saw the same exact oil filter I marked. But covered up by a black marker. At this point I was pretty upset. Checked my trip mileage and there was 2.3 miles that been driven. Anyways, long story short I spoke to the manager. He told me that since the car is so new they didn't have the filter in stock. But that they did change the engine oil. I ask him why was there so many miles adding on for an oil change? He then told me that after every oil change they do a "Driving Test" to make sure everything is running fine. My BS radar is going off the hook at this point. If this place is going to lie about a simple oil change. What else is going on under closed door? I seriously felt raped, well my car did. But I felt it. :(.

clayrush 07-21-2012 11:26 PM

Report to corporate if can.

xpicer 07-21-2012 11:27 PM

I know how bad it feels to be lied to like that, i guess its time to try and diy. Im a tech and i know for a fact that no one threats your ca better than your self. I guess you now know that it migth be a better idea to find an idependent shop to take care of the ligth work.

kendalldwhite 07-21-2012 11:41 PM

flip the f out, u paid prolly 25k for it u should be able to get what u want done to it

kwood9000 07-21-2012 11:52 PM

Wonder if they even changed the oil or put in the right weight. As clayrush said, report to corporate.

nocurfew 07-21-2012 11:56 PM

I wonder why they didn't tell you beforehand that they didn't have the filter in stock?

reeves 07-22-2012 12:09 AM

Wow I feel for u.. a while back, one of my buds had his Corolla's oil changed at the Toyota dealership, and they forgot to put the oil cap back on. The underside of his hood & engine bay got totally drenched in oil.. the dealer cleaned it up of course, but still.. wut a comeplete lack of competence.

Wes 07-22-2012 12:35 AM

dang that sucks terence, now i am skeptical about taking my car there for the 5k oil change. but at least there wasnt any physical damage or anything right

Razz 07-22-2012 12:36 AM

If they didn't have the filter, it's their responsibility to contact you before work is started.

Why did they try to cover it up by using a black marker?

You have to go out of your way to do this.

Did you check the oil on the dip stick?

Was it really changed?

Sigh-on-Rice 07-22-2012 12:44 AM

If this happens to me, I'd definitely report.
Sorry that it happened to you.

kevinnivek8877 07-22-2012 12:52 AM

It sounds like they should be paying you for the joyride they got from your car.

yormaX 07-22-2012 12:58 AM

They probably took the car for a drift around the parking lot. Just my speculations.

bimmerboy 07-22-2012 01:13 AM

lesson learned, change your own oil! Takes 10-15min and is worth the peace of mind!

eriktherod 07-22-2012 01:33 AM

As most have said here... there's definitely an area for honest mistakes and then shady practice.

Assuming it would be no problem then not having the filter, is an honest mistakes IF they would have told you beforehand. At the very least tell you afterwards.

The whole bit of trying to cover up a deliberate marking with a black marker is definitely shady. I'd want an answer for that specific question, because there's no "good answer" to that.

As for the 2.3 miles, that's still a stretch for a "quality assurance" check. I can see maybe a little drive around the block totaling 1 mile at most. The rest seems excessive and would definitely not help their case with this huge black mark (no pun intended) against them.