Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   FR-S & 86 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Spy Shots of 086A toyobaru coupe test prototype on the track (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24)

MR2fan 10-13-2009 11:37 AM

Spy Shots of 086A toyobaru coupe test prototype on the track

7 Attachment(s)
Press release:

We just caught Toyota engineers testing a prototype for the Toyota/Subaru joint-venture coupe on the Nürburgring, giving us a new real-world taste of the eagerly-awaited two-door. How much this prototype represents Toyota's production-intent coupe is a little cloudy at this point. It is definitely more advanced than the Subaru-themed coupe mules spied more than a year ago, and hints of Toyota's recently-released FT-86 concept can be imagined behind the camouflage. The headlights look like they could be merely functional placeholders for more sexy headlamps to be applied later, but they also seem to integrate quite well into the bodywork visible here. The same can be said for the tail-lights which fail to capture the svelte sexiness of the FT-86 concept.

It's rare for a car company to create two-stages of mules--it usually goes from the initial mule straight to a confirmation prototype--but it looks like this prototype may still have a little of the Island of Dr. Moreau treatment. At least we hope so. If the visible elements on this latest coupe prototype are indicative of the final design, Toyota will have raised the public's expectations with the FT-86 only to bring everyone crashing down to a more mundane reality.

MR2fan 10-13-2009 11:38 AM

I'm getting a little worried. That looks NOTHING like the ft86 concept. I know its just a test car probably for chassis and handling but still woulad been nice to see something closer to the concept

86Fan 10-13-2009 12:31 PM

this could be the subaru version using the impreza body for testing.

Jordo! 10-13-2009 01:32 PM

Hmm. Are these recent or taken before the concept was released?

MR2fan 10-13-2009 03:28 PM

These were just released today on various blogs

86Fan 10-13-2009 04:04 PM

Actually toyo and subaru are probably testing the same components (engine, gearbox and chassis) using the subaru shell . I suspect they will have to test another car for awd if this is a rwd model.

BALLIN'_707 10-13-2009 04:04 PM

I hope thats subie's version... cuz its not pretty at all..

RWDJunkie 10-13-2009 07:41 PM

Hopefully this is nothing more than a test car and has no physical relation to the production model. That test car is ugly from every angle shown.

Michel 10-13-2009 08:00 PM

This is a mule car. Fake bodypanels and mucho camouflage. It's pretty normal for cars in this stage of development. They just might be testing engine and drivetrain..

To me it looks like they hacked a Impreza in 3 pieces and left the middle piece out and sticked the remaining 2 together.

Matt 10-13-2009 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michel (Post 242)
This is a mule car. Fake bodypanels and mucho camouflage. It's pretty normal for cars in this stage of development. They just might be testing engine and drivetrain..

To me it looks like they hacked a Impreza in 3 pieces and left the middle piece out and sticked the remaining 2 together.

Exactly.

RadOnc 10-13-2009 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michel (Post 242)

Yup! It looks like only the rear might be the real car with a Impreza front end hacked on just to have something to sit and drive inside of. They must be testing drivetrain right now. I cant wait to see this car unfold!!!!

Agam 10-14-2009 11:23 PM

+1 for the mule comment, that car is just using parts off various imprezas.. the hood is a base impreza, the bumper/flares are from an sti, the back is from an impreza sedan.. the car is literally glued together.. the REAL car is underneath all of that

MTD 10-15-2009 12:24 AM

Ive seen mules of the current Corolla and Matrix and they looked nothing like the production models. Mules are just test beds for the mechanical components underneath.

On another note, you can really see how small the car may be based on how big the driver and passenger look.

Shevon 10-21-2009 12:44 PM

definately impreza tailights. hope subies version is a lot closer to toyotas in the looks department. also read somewhere that toyota's version will be sold everywhere else but the U.S. and Subaru version for the U.S market only.....(Speculation maybe?)