Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   AutoGuide.com FT-86 Technical Details "Confirmed" (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1288)

Exage 05-16-2011 01:28 AM

AutoGuide.com FT-86 Technical Details "Confirmed"

Posted: May 15, 2011

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...source=twitter

"By now at least some of these official details are foregone conclusions, but Toyota has decided to confirm some of the technical specs about the production car that will evolve from the FT-86 Concept. As expected, the details are identical to those provided for the Scion FR-S from its debut at the New York Auto Show.

That being said, when it does finally go into production (how much longer do we have to wait?) the FT-86 will be powered by a 2.0-liter Subaru-sourced boxer engine. Likely the same powerplant used in the new Impreza, it makes 148-hp in that car. Adding as much as 15 percent more power (that’s 170-hp by our calculation), is a Toyota D4-S direct-injection system. Both a six-speed manual and six-speed automatic will be offered, plus a limited slip differential will be standard.

While fuel economy isn’t something FT-86 buyers will be overly interested in, we should point out that with the new Impreza getting 27/36-mpg we should expect some impressive mpgs from the Toyota sports coupe, which should be lighter than the Impreza and also won’t be AWD.

Look for the Toyota FT-86 to officially debut at the Tokyo Auto Show this Fall." - AutoGuide.com

Dimman 05-16-2011 01:37 AM

^ Still speculating on the engine. Argh...

Exage 05-16-2011 02:06 AM

That's why I put it in quotations. They seem to portray that this is what we're getting for an engine.

For the Scion FR-S (North American Market) it doesn't make much sense, apart from fuel efficiency is it justifiable to use a D4-S FB20 then a FB25 that already makes 170bhp at a similar engine weight and dimensions, is already being mass produced, and most likely cheaper to produce because it doesn't have D4-S injection???

Also; can Scion justify selling there halo model with less horsepower then tC for more money to the average consumer? I have my doubts that the FR-S is going to be easier to live with then the tC as a daily driver with the FB20 D4-S then the 2AR-FE to the average consumer. I guess it starts depending on the curb weight then!

dalli 05-16-2011 02:50 AM

what about Yamaha?

Mr.Jay 05-16-2011 03:21 AM

autoguide you wasted my time

serialk11r 05-16-2011 03:42 AM

Eh I thought this was actually going to be news :( I wish they'd hold off on speculation (and then trying to make it sound like news) until the details actually come out.

Sammakko 05-16-2011 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dalli (Post 41389)
what about Yamaha?

what about them?

Ryephile 05-16-2011 09:20 AM

Damn you again AutoGuide. All those details were announced when the Scion FR-S was revealed last month.

At this point I'd entertain rumors regarding Yamaha's cylinder head development. :)

tranzformer 05-16-2011 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryephile (Post 41402)
Damn you again AutoGuide. All those details were announced when the Scion FR-S was revealed last month.

At this point I'd entertain rumors regarding Yamaha's cylinder head development. :)

Yep. That article is bla.... Nothing new to see guys. Move along, move along now. :sigh:

Allch Chcar 05-16-2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exage (Post 41384)
... Likely the same powerplant used in the new Impreza, it makes 148-hp in that car...

You know I kept asking myself why people were saying 148BHP for an el cheapo engine option and there it is. I've only heard it mentioning 10 times without realizing it :bonk:. Boy, am I a blockhead.

RRnold 05-16-2011 02:08 PM

Technical Details... fuggin AutoGuide :clap: :bellyroll:

JohnnyR 05-16-2011 10:02 PM

No way they put this thing out with 170 anemic HP. I thought 200hp was "low" but that's all I honestly expect Toyota to put into it.

Allch Chcar 05-16-2011 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyR (Post 41775)
No way they put this thing out with 170 anemic HP. I thought 200hp was "low" but that's all I honestly expect Toyota to put into it.

Then why are you still here? It's already been said numerous time that unless they go all out N/A or turbocharge(which has been denied as far as I've heard) it'll be slower than a v6 Camry.

Last year someone said it was capable of 230PS(225BHP) but they went for a more balanced approach between power and fuel efficient. The VP of Scion said it would be surprisingly fuel efficient too!

0-62MPH in 7 seconds ring a bell?

Dimman 05-17-2011 12:02 AM

The 'adding D4-S to the FB20 to get 170 hp' idea is, (as Exage mentioned in a more polite manner) fucking ludicrous. They have a 170 hp FB25. There is no reason to put a fuck-ton of R&D into a motor that will just result in the same power as one you already have, that weighs pretty close, and already fits. And they share the same long stroke, so it's not going to be anymore rev happy than the FB25 (well a tiny bit less mass from smaller pistons). So all you get for more money is the same power, less torque, and a bit of fuel economy.

This is stupid. Toyota and Subaru are NOT stupid. This won't happen.

This will either be a balls-out FB20 at 200 hp or an all-new design, possibly shared with the upcoming WRX/STI.

Again, 200 hp out of the FB20 is not something I'm super comfortable with, given it may not have anything left for the tuners, without some major (internal) $$$ changes.