Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Suggestions Needed: Best Rims for Halo 86 GT? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135993)

Ephyzul 07-24-2019 01:20 PM

Suggestions Needed: Best Rims for Halo 86 GT?

Hello everybody,

This is my first post and I apologize if this is posted in the wrong section. If this post should be relocated, let me know and I’ll post it somewhere else.

I have been eyeing the FRS/86 since I first heard of it back in 2013, and I am finally getting my very own New 2019 86 GT Halo. I’m only getting the car for the looks and its fun driving experience, no plans to work on the speed or performance. With that in mind, the first thing I’d like to change are the rims/wheels.

Does anyone have any recommendations for rims/wheels that will compliment a Halo 86? I prefer darker rims like gray or black but I am open to any color. I also don’t care if they’re glossy, shiny, or matte. I don’t care about $$$ right now, just want to get options/ideas. I think I’d like to stay with a 17 inch wheels. If you guys have pictures of the rims already on the car that would be great! That way I can actually see what they look like together.

Also, I always see fancy/expensive cars with the red calipers (I think that’s what they’re called?). The red thingy that is attached to the disc brake. My friend told me I can just spray paint the calipers red so that they look like the ones you’d see on other cars. Is there anything I should worry/think about before spray painting my calipers? Does anyone recommend a brand of spray paint or a specific red color that would look good for this purpose? I don’t know if there are better brands for these kinds of things.

Once again I’m all about looks rather than performance (since the car is already super fun to drive) so go easy on the judgment :D. Furthermore, I have no use for performance because I’m usually driving in SoCal rush hour of a solid 10 - 20 mph.

Any ideas, recommendations, word of advice, suggestions, or opinions are welcome!

Thank you!

Tcoat 07-24-2019 01:25 PM

The best ones are the ones you like.

Ephyzul 07-24-2019 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3240598)
The best ones are the ones you like.

I’ve seen a few combinations here and there and tbh only the 17 inch TRD rims are the only ones I’ve liked so far. I hope there are more options out there, just hoping to get ideas from people who currently have a Halo and some nice dark rims on them already. I honestly would not know where to start besides visiting rim shops around me which sounds time consuming.

Leonardo 07-24-2019 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ephyzul (Post 3240602)
I’ve seen a few combinations here and there and tbh only the 17 inch TRD rims are the only ones I’ve liked so far. I hope there are more options out there, just hoping to get ideas from people who currently have a Halo and some nice dark rims on them already. I honestly would not know where to start besides visiting rim shops around me which sounds time consuming.

I'd start here: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7535

Look through this thread. Most members, at one time or another, have posted what wheels they have in it.

Good luck!

Tcoat 07-24-2019 01:46 PM

You will get hundreds of opinions as to what are "best" and it will leave you more baffled than if you just pick ones that look good to you. For your simple needs just browse some pics, pick a style and colour you like in a price range that is acceptable and buy them.
Word of advice though. Once you chose just order them right then and there don't wait. If you wait you will see something else you like better. Then another. Then another. I have looked at wheels for 4 years now and every time I settle I delay buying and change my mind. At this rate my car will go to the wrecking yard due to old age with the stock wheels still firmly in place.

Ephyzul 07-24-2019 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonardo (Post 3240605)
I'd start here: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7535

Look through this thread. Most members, at one time or another, have posted what wheels they have in it.

Good luck!

This is exactly what I need, thank you!

Ephyzul 07-24-2019 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3240611)
You will get hundreds of opinions as to what are "best" and it will leave you more baffled than if you just pick ones that look good to you. For your simple needs just browse some pics, pick a style and colour you like in a price range that is acceptable and buy them.
Word of advice though. Once you chose just order them right then and there don't wait. If you wait you will see something else you like better. Then another. Then another. I have looked at wheels for 4 years now and every time I settle I delay buying and change my mind. At this rate my car will go to the wrecking yard due to old age with the stock wheels still firmly in place.

Sounds like I might have that same problem hahaha. When i browse for stuff, I usually ‘save’ them for later and look around some more until I narrow it down to a few and can’t decide. I’ll definitely keep that in mind so that I actually end up swapping out my rims instead of just looking at pictures.

Thank you

Nevermore 07-24-2019 01:51 PM

You can have any wheel you want, as long as it's mesh.

Ephyzul 07-24-2019 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevermore (Post 3240618)
You can have any wheel you want, as long as it's mesh.

What does mesh mean? I’m a noob lol.

RToyo86 07-24-2019 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3240611)

This is why drunk shopping can be good(or bad). Drunk me has ordered some pretty cool stuff I'd normally Hum and haw over.

Nevermore 07-24-2019 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ephyzul (Post 3240647)
What does mesh mean? I’m a noob lol.

More curves instead of straight spokes. Something like this.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...18&postcount=1

Tcoat 07-24-2019 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RToyo86 (Post 3240663)
This is why drunk shopping can be good(or bad). Drunk me has ordered some pretty cool stuff I'd normally Hum and haw over.

Yep! And if drunk enough it is a surprise when it shows up.

Ephyzul 07-24-2019 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevermore (Post 3240682)
More curves instead of straight spokes. Something like this.

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...18&postcount=1

Ahh I see, good to know that there is a name for the ones that don’t really look like spokes. Thank you, I’ll be on the look out to for those styles as well.

strat61caster 07-24-2019 04:19 PM

tirerack.com, they'll sell you wheels that fit, easy to filter and 'view on car'
You can even order them with tires installed on your doorstep so you don't have to mess with ordering a set and going to a shop and all that

make sure you disassemble your brakes to paint them, plenty of generic DIY's

go to an autocross or track day, best money you'll ever spend on the car