Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Couldn't get into 6th (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108761)

Atticus808 07-24-2016 02:22 PM

Couldn't get into 6th

so I was on the highway and had to pass a bunch of cars/semis/trailers quickly so I (did not) pass going 160kmph. but when I tried to get into 6th I couldn't so I had to get back into 5th. but at lower speeds it's easier to get into 6th.

why is this? or am I just crazy?

chaoskaze 07-24-2016 02:36 PM

Couldn't get into 6th

Just one of those days when transmission not happy with you. Next time it will be ok.. ;)

Jokes aside sometimes I have problem getting into 5th from 6 when I'm going pretty fast... I take it as just one of those weird things with this transmission...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ultramaroon 07-24-2016 02:38 PM

Hmmm... sounds like a typical missed shift. If pumped up on adrenaline, did you perhaps release the clutch pedal before getting it into gear? It happens.

Also, sixth can be kind of awkward. Even a little dangerous if you're not paying attention. If you don't have that lever hard over to the right it could bump up between 4th and 6th gates or even worse, drop into 4th which, IIRC, would be money-shift territory at that speed.

Atticus808 07-24-2016 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 2712010)
Hmmm... sounds like a typical missed shift. If pumped up on adrenaline, did you perhaps release the clutch pedal before getting it into gear? It happens.

Also, sixth can be kind of awkward. Even a little dangerous if you're not paying attention. If you don't have that lever hard over to the right it could bump up between 4th and 6th gates or even worse, drop into 4th which, IIRC, would be money-shift territory at that speed.

nope. I kept the clutch in. ever since I pm'd you awhile back I've been very careful. when I couldn't get into 6th I kept my foot on the clutch and brought it back to 5th

Ultramaroon 07-24-2016 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atticus808 (Post 2712012)
nope. I kept the clutch in. ever since I pm'd you awhile back I've been very careful. when I couldn't get into 6th I kept my foot on the clutch and brought it back to 5th

Oh, yeah! I had forgotten about that. :cheers:

edit: How many miles on the car now? It took my trans 10-12K miles to really break in the syncros. 6th is still a bit chunkier than the rest.

GAPF1 07-24-2016 03:13 PM

Couple of times, I've experienced a balk from the gearbox when shifting quickly from fifth to sixth at relatively high revs.

ryoma 07-24-2016 03:47 PM

were you all the way to the right with the shifter? maybe the vibrations and torque from the engine while driving it hard caused a slight momentary shift in the transmission due to the soft OEM bushings when you were trying to get into 6th, causing you to miss the gate. I have never had this problem before, but there have been a couple of times where I missed a 5th to 4th downshift because I couldn't get it into the gate, but that was most likely user error

thomasmryan 07-24-2016 04:30 PM

under acceleration, I am just shifting from 4th to 5th at that speed.

Atticus808 07-24-2016 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 2712028)
Oh, yeah! I had forgotten about that. :cheers:

edit: How many miles on the car now? It took my trans 10-12K miles to really break in the syncros. 6th is still a bit chunkier than the rest.

it's not my daily so I only have about 5000km lol. it seemed fine shifting at lower speeds. you gotta take your car up here to Canmore. very nice here

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryoma (Post 2712043)
were you all the way to the right with the shifter? maybe the vibrations and torque from the engine while driving it hard caused a slight momentary shift in the transmission due to the soft OEM bushings when you were trying to get into 6th, causing you to miss the gate. I have never had this problem before, but there have been a couple of times where I missed a 5th to 4th downshift because I couldn't get it into the gate, but that was most likely user error

nope. I don't remember what rpm I was at but probably around 5500-6000. and thanks for the explanation. it does make sense

Ultramaroon 07-24-2016 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atticus808 (Post 2712140)
it's not my daily so I only have about 5000km lol. it seemed fine shifting at lower speeds. you gotta take your car up here to Canmore. very nice here

Oh hell, it's still brand new! The syncros won't start grabbing effectively until about twice that distance. Next time it won't go into any gear, no worries. Just release enough to go back into neutral and apply steady pressure a second time.

I apologize if I'm repeating myself but it's not like a switch. The higher the RPM, the bigger the difference in RPM between gears, and therefore the more work the syncro has to do to match speed between input and output before allowing the gear to engage.

Been threatening to visit Banff for a long time now. The missus is all in. Just have to carve out a few days to tool around.

gravitylover 07-24-2016 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultramaroon (Post 2712201)
...Been threatening to visit Banff for a long time now. The missus is all in. Just have to carve out a few days to tool around.

When you get to Banff make sure to leave some time to go up the Icefields Parkway to Jasper. FKNA beautiful road!!

radroach 07-24-2016 09:44 PM

@Atticus808 eventually you might want to change out the gearbox oil for some motul gear 300 or other recommended brand

nico_rsx 07-24-2016 10:21 PM

I don't have a twin yet, but if it's effectively a "syncro" problem, then a quick tip is to go back to neutral, release the cluth and press it again and then shift in the desired gear, effectively doing a "double clutch" shift.

Ultramaroon 07-24-2016 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gravitylover (Post 2712232)
When you get to Banff make sure to leave some time to go up the Icefields Parkway to Jasper. FKNA beautiful road!!

Added to the plans!
Quote:

Originally Posted by nico_rsx (Post 2712251)
I don't have a twin yet, but if it's effectively a "syncro" problem, then a quick tip is to go back to neutral, release the cluth and press it again and then shift in the desired gear, effectively doing a "double clutch" shift.

When I first got mine, which already had 1800 miles, I was a double clutching fool because I couldn't bring myself to yank as hard as it took to downshift normally. After about 5K miles I started noticing improvement which continued steadily through about 20K.