Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Any good stereo systems for an 86? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134777)

JDMPR725 05-19-2019 08:48 AM

Any good stereo systems for an 86?

I'm buying an 86 in several months but I'm going over my to-buy parts list and looking for an aftermarket stereo system to replace the OEM center console radio. I'd like to know any good alternatives you guys recommend or use in your cars.

I'm personally looking for a stereo system with a removable head to prevent thieves from stealing it (not a lot that comes with that feature, unfortunately). An Android OS with good CPU/RAM, maybe a micro sd feature, and with a rear-camera monitor feature.

DarkPira7e 05-19-2019 10:49 AM

I'm adding a turbo since the stock sound system didn't have what I was looking for. UEL headers with a muffler delete is a good choice for pretty cheap. A couple companies make ITBs for this engine if you're a huge sound enthusiast. There are a lot of options

soundman98 05-19-2019 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkPira7e (Post 3219179)
I'm adding a turbo since the stock sound system didn't have what I was looking for. UEL headers with a muffler delete is a good choice for pretty cheap. A couple companies make ITBs for this engine if you're a huge sound enthusiast. There are a lot of options

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...jpg?1315930535

he did post in the correct section...

so 1/2 the responses you'll get are that audio in this car is an absolute waste of money. the other half will respond with their specific brand preferences as the greatest thing, and pricing will be all over the board. my post isn't going to be any different ;).

first, you need to come up with a rough cost where you want to be.

some of the guy's running android units are starting to hit the limitations-- they're all cheap crap, many won't run more than 1 app at a time. i don't believe any of them have removable screens. windows-based carpc's are a better option, but integration fell flat 10 years ago, and now nearly doesn't exist.

personally, i run a pioneer deh-80prs. it does everything i need for audio, looks cheap so no one touches it, but also has a removable faceplate and sd card slot if one were so inclined. it doesn't look the prettiest in the dash, and there's no big screen, but i'm happier that way..

JD001 05-19-2019 02:24 PM

Try the one used in the BRZ MY2012-15...

RZNT4R 05-19-2019 02:47 PM

Look, the BIGGEST problem with the stock radio in the 86 is connectivity.

Think of it like a 1 din radio from 10 years ago, it just happens to have a big screen for a backup cam. It's THAT useless, AM/FM/BT/AUX don't count on anything more than that. Aha? HAHA! wonky unreliable connectivity, useless, and don't you start hoping we'll get a carplay/android auto update like lexus selling carplay software updates, this radio is just in the iM, 86 and C-HR, we're trash peasants. However, prior to purchase based on comments from the internet, I had assumed I'd have to chuck it in the trash on week 1 because "hurrrr! sound bad!".

Truth is, the sound quality is fine for a stock system, that's it, "fine". you don't have to assume it's unusable trash, and if you just want [sound] it's tolerable.

I'm still gonna chuck mine in the trash eventually, but it was tolerable enough that it's priority has fallen behind wheels/tires/wing/underbody aero.

JDMPR725 05-19-2019 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98 (Post 3219217)
https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...jpg?1315930535

he did post in the correct section...

so 1/2 the responses you'll get are that audio in this car is an absolute waste of money. the other half will respond with their specific brand preferences as the greatest thing, and pricing will be all over the board. my post isn't going to be any different ;).

first, you need to come up with a rough cost where you want to be.

some of the guy's running android units are starting to hit the limitations-- they're all cheap crap, many won't run more than 1 app at a time. i don't believe any of them have removable screens. windows-based carpc's are a better option, but integration fell flat 10 years ago, and now nearly doesn't exist.

personally, i run a pioneer deh-80prs. it does everything i need for audio, looks cheap so no one touches it, but also has a removable faceplate and sd card slot if one were so inclined. it doesn't look the prettiest in the dash, and there's no big screen, but i'm happier that way..

I suppose you're right. There isn't much of what I would ideally find on what I'm looking for. The one you have does look nice and I have a similar pioneer model in my Integra but want to have that removable head feature most of all.

soundman98 05-20-2019 02:16 AM

I had a pioneer appradio with 7" flip up screen for a while--$350 i believe, similar to the 80prs. Not a high end unit by any means, just had a fancy 7" touchscreen

It remains the one radio someone broke into my car for. So i actively avoid radio's with screens now. But then i also had a carpc for a while with a built-in 7" screen(custom built transflective layers, was around $700), and i never had problems the entire time that was installed...

Alastor 05-20-2019 03:52 AM

Hi

If you havent a problem with your money, you have a Pioneer avh-z9100dab. Is antifet.

why? 05-21-2019 07:49 AM

I have a Pioneer DEH-P01 from japan I'm tempted to install because the sound quality of the stock system really is that bad, and the navigation is even more useless. I mean the stock system is fine for listening to podcasts, but that's about it.

However you should really go to https://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/, as they are the kings of car audio and I am sure there are plenty of reasonably priced options that have what you are looking for that they will know about.

luisark 06-19-2019 04:29 AM

you can take a look at this car stereo http://www.carstereoarkright.com removable and RAM available in 2G or 4G

wheelhaus 06-19-2019 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundman98
personally, i run a pioneer deh-80prs. it does everything i need for audio...

:cheers:
Same! Fantastic little unit, all function and virtually no flash.

If you’re just looking for a better head unit, find one that looks pretty and does what you want. If you’re looking for a whole system upgrade, thats a different story, you’ll need to pick more carefully.

The DEH-80PRS is marketed as a high sound quality head unit, and will give you tuning features to really dial in great sound, but you need more/better gear to make it sing. It doesn’t have all the flash and eye candy and additional navi/app features but it does have powerful audio processing and decent DACs. If you have no intention to go such a route as this then the first line of this paragraph is all you need.

Personally mine is wired as an “active front stage” where the 4 primary channels are dedicated to component mid woofers and tweeters up front, and two small 8” subs in small custom enclosures in the corners of the trunk. My rear drivers in the back seat are disconnected. Everything is sound deadened, EQ’d, and time aligned to sound like the music is right in front of the driver’s seat. This setup is all driven by an Alpine PDX9. I can go into more detail if you like, but you need to set goals first, then we can help you pick parts and figure out how to execute it.

soundman98 06-20-2019 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheelhaus (Post 3228964)
:cheers:
Same! Fantastic little unit, all function and virtually no flash.

Coming from a carpc, I'm still missing independent channel eq's and more variety of crossover selection(dayton point sources for high end, so still full active, but with a low tweeter xover), so I'm considering adding a dayton or minidsp unit for the lacking functionality.

How did you set up the time alignment? I've tried it a few times and always just end up with headaches from the psychoacoustics being screwy...

B-R-Z 06-20-2019 10:03 PM

I currently have an Android unit from China which has treated me well for the past few years but have had my eyes on the below unit which sports wireless Android Auto.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

blackstripe77 04-02-2021 10:17 AM

I’ve been looking into the DEH-80PRS - everything about it seems great, but have some concerns that the unit is a little outdated. Is the head unit able to display text when an iPhone is connected via Bluetooth, and will Spotify also play via Bluetooth?