Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   2nd Annual Texas FT86 Day Meet/Cruise (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67383)

Dustin 06-04-2014 09:11 PM

2nd Annual Texas FT86 Day Meet/Cruise

Back by popular demand is the 2nd annual Texas FT86 day meet/cruise. The date is soon approaching (August 6 - 8/6) and this year it falls on a Wednesday. Since most people will be doing their 9-5 thing we will be holding the 86 meet/cruise on the Saturday after, 8/9/14. So mark your calanders and come join in the fun and meet some fellow enthusiasts from around the state.

To make this more organized and a better drive for everyone, this year we will follow suit with the local San Antonians and will be running the Three Sisters route which can be found HERE. Taking from what we've learned from last year and the DFW Spring cruise this year, communication is key with these things. I will be bringing my set of 2 way radios and I ask if anyone else has a set to bring, it would help the group as a whole.

Of course we want as many 86, FR-S and BRZ drivers as possible but anyone can come and have a good time. Last year had a good turn out and we hope this year will be even better. We ask that everyone be courteous and respectful to one another and to whoever we come across. Just make sure to treat everyone how you would like to be treated.

UPDATE # 1

Taking from the experience @Extreme86 has had with doing a few of the local Twisted Sisters runs, here are a few of the main things he and I agree upon with how this should be coordinated. First and foremost, you're not going to impress anyone being a showoff. No burnouts, donuts, excessive revving, yada yada, you get the idea. Don't bee the asshat everyone looks at in disapproval.

Safety is a big concern. Yes this is meant to be a fun drive and will be a spirited run. I know personally I plan on pushing my car a bit. However, don't try to push your car beyond it's limits or your own. Goes back to the first rule......DON'T BE A SHOWOFF!! Drivers must be alert and ready to immediately let off and stay in their lane. Watch out for road conditions and adjust driving/speed accordingly. Respect other motorists. Stay alert!!! If bicycles are out...we need to ramp it down so nobody gets killed. This is where the two way radios will come in handy. So if you have one, BRING IT so you can be informed. We want everybody to have fun, but know that you are responsible for your own actions and those actions could affect other people so everyone please be on your A game.

Be warned that on the way to/from Medina on several runs people have gotten tickets. So be cautious in that area. Also the last gas station is in Leakey and that will be the last pit stop to get gas so make sure you have plenty before you leave there. We suggest everyone to fill up their tanks in Bandera before arriving in Medina. This should save us some time in Leakey for sure and when Extreme86 does this he has enough fuel to do the run and it gets him back to San Antonio.

We will meet at The Apple Store (not the computer brand) and park across the street around 8:30 A.M. At 9:15ish there will a short briefing and then we will head out. Extreme86 says it works best to roll out in small groups of about 7-10 cars about 3-4 minutes apart. Depending on how many people show up we might up that to 10-15 cars per group. If there are any late comers, there will be one last pit stop in Leakey for you to catch up.

UPDATE # 2

I've reached out to a few of the vendors on here and they are hooking us up with some nice parts to be raffled off at Bent Rim Grill after the drive. So far confirmed are @Raceseng, @Beat-Sonic, @FT-86 SpeedFactory, @GrimmSpeed and @PERRIN. I'm waiting to hear back from a couple of others and will update as I hear from them. This is what @Extreme86 and I have agreed upon. This will be a free raffle. There was discussion on possibly charging people a minimal entry fee for each ticket to better your odds of winning but we want to keep this fun and not take things too seriously. This keeps it fair for everyone. It would suck if someone spent say $50 for 50 tickets for example and won half the items when the guy who drove from 6 hours away, paid for a hotel room, paid for gas there and back, ect. who only had a couple of bucks to spare to enter the raffle didn't have the same chance as everyone else. Once we get to Bent Rim Grill and everyone gets settled, we will hand out 1 ticket per person. Then the items will be chosen at random and we will have a drawing and whoever's ticket is pulled will win the item. Simple, fun, fair.

UPDATE # 3

I am having small stickers made for anyone who wants one. These are free of charge, I'm not looking for any compensation on these. I will place an order for them in the coming weeks. Here's what they will look like. It will be a small 3" circle.

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/q...tkrinvert1.jpg

UPDATE # 4

@MoebiusStrip is having shirts made. Cost for each shirt is $10.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69644

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/q...ps732390bd.png

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/q...psd9abcb17.png

People Attending

1) Dustin * + 1
2) Extreme86
3) Jyn
4) spyingwind
5) Texaz Boy * + 1
6) Ramster + 1
7) MoebiusStrip + 1
8) Shneegle + 1
9) TEWwild + 2
10) Kriser + 2
11) AteMyShorts
12) The Slow One
13) Scavanger
14) FRS_FIEND
15) iSnack0nEmoKidz + 1
16) cjoe
17) kalamitykode + 1
18) Zacharary + 2
19) OVR_RUN
20) missbrz
21) DFW-FRS
22) bimmer635csi
23) Vracer111
24) Shanket_brz
25) Boosted
26) astateoffrs
27) Husker BRZ
28) alderaan34
29) Semprini
30) BlackSpider
31) fang_gt86
32) Kuri
33) rosstafarian + 1
34) snoozr + 1
35) derekk
36) carbonBLUE + 1
37) KDad2
38) style86
39) Dozer + 1
40) zoth + 1
41) bfsnail + 1
42) ron_n_tx + 1
43) Mallow + 1

Plus we have approximately 28 others from Houston 86 Club

Jyn 06-04-2014 09:47 PM

Down. I'll bring my cam.

spyingwind 06-04-2014 09:49 PM

I can wait, it been to long. I'll also bring a pair of radios.

Zero90 06-04-2014 10:35 PM

May be able to join in the fun :).

Dustin 06-04-2014 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyingwind (Post 1779195)
I can wait, it been to long. I'll also bring a pair of radios.

Don't forget your spare tire, lol.

86-tundra 06-04-2014 11:31 PM

Nooooo @jLoBRZ will be at a wedding that weekend

TSC19 06-04-2014 11:50 PM

I might able to go...

Texaz Boy 06-05-2014 12:17 AM

I'll be there

FRS_FIEND 06-05-2014 09:03 AM

first week back from my deployment?! hmmmm i will try! wish it was in dallas though its a little more central than satx.

Ramster 06-05-2014 11:33 AM

What brand radios are you guys using? I could go out and get a pair also if anyone has a suggestion as to which ones to get.

The Slow One 06-05-2014 01:07 PM

I will be posting this on the local Houston 86 facebook page :)

MoebiusStrip 06-05-2014 01:10 PM

I will be there :) I might have some radios too, I'll have to check.

spyingwind 06-05-2014 02:45 PM

Converted the map to some other useful things for those that are interested.

http://goo.gl/maps/3Oc0r color coated!

Attached is a zip that contains a gpx file and a kmz file. The kmz is importable for google maps, as the gpx can be used with garmins and many other map and track applications.

If you want to use google's My Tracks app on android, then here are instruction on how to add them. It works best with the gpx file than with the kmz/kml.

The other app that I prefer for this kind of thing is OsmAnd as it's free and has a decent usability. I use it only for creating tracks and following tracks. You will have to download the texas map, but that shouldn't take too long from your home wifi.

I don't own an iDevice so I'm not familiar with any apps that would do the same kind of things.

Extreme86 06-05-2014 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramster (Post 1780130)
What brand radios are you guys using? I could go out and get a pair also if anyone has a suggestion as to which ones to get.

I've had a good experience with Motorola MT352R about $36.xx apiece when you buy a pair online...amerzon has um. Got mine at Newegg. Better than average capacity rechargeable battery, weatherproof if you go out in the elements. There are cheaper radios for sure but, these work great and sound quality is better than other models of FRS radios I have used in the past. I'd give them 4 1/2 stars out of 5 for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRS_FIEND (Post 1779904)
first week back from my deployment?! hmmmm i will try! wish it was in dallas though its a little more central than satx.

@FRS_FIEND Would you be more inclined to attend if we had a big evening meet / photo shoot type of thing in Austin after some of us did the sisters run in the morning? I haven't touched base with Dustin as yet to run ideas past him. PM'd him earlier.

But, certainly can relate to long distance driving down to south Texas and then purt near half way to west Texas!!! Might come down to who wants to get down here Friday evening to do the Sisters Run Sat. AM and then those who get to Austin on Sat. AM maybe drive Lime Creek again on their own and then have a big meet in a nice size parking lot with a lot of food eateries nearby in the evening for a final big gathering. Just a thought. Austin folks might want to chime in where this perfect place might be...just so we have some options to consider. Dustin may have some better ideas.