Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   anyone successfully escape the 9 to 5 life? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133048)

covance 02-19-2019 10:26 AM

anyone successfully escape the 9 to 5 life?

anyone successfully escape the 9 to 5 life office drone life for something else? this could mean switching to a drastically different career that went well, starting a business that took off, etc. just looking for stories from people's own experiences :)

Tcoat 02-19-2019 12:13 PM

Escape it? Took me 30 years to obtain it! Not giving it up for anything.

People that change to a drastically different career have to start at the bottom and work their way up again. Often resulting in being the 9 to 5 drone only doing different work.
People that succeed at their own business generally have to work 9 to 9 or more. There is no get rich quick business that succeeds without massive hours put into it. Being your own boss usually means that you work for a jerk that expects 110% all the time.

DarkPira7e 02-19-2019 12:19 PM

I have to agree with Tcoat, I work a weird shift from Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and sometimes Saturday as well from 10 AM to 9PM. I'd kill to be able to go to work and leave after only 8 hours on normal work days.

Sapphireho 02-19-2019 12:24 PM

Escaped it 25 years ago. I work a 7 to 4.

Leonardo 02-19-2019 12:29 PM

After a few years... Some assets start looking like liabilities.

Even if you start a successful business, it can run it's course after a decade or two. Working for yourself is great, but you only have yourself to blame when something goes wrong. Oh yeah, and no health insurance. I get the days off I ask for though...

EAGLE5 02-19-2019 01:08 PM

You can have health insurance in your own business. It just costs a lot. Escape 9 to 5 by making your own business and working 24/7, but then if you're good, you can retire earlier. Every year I cut back the number of hours I teach, and every year I spend more time managing the business. I was up until 2 last night getting a schedule ready. But... I have money.

why? 02-19-2019 01:12 PM

I had an uncle work a 3 day work week in the tech field working 12 hours a day, but that's the only real escape I've ever seen.

Unless you are really good at sales then you can go sell houses and make your own hours.

Every other 'escape' means you work harder and longer hours.

8RZ 02-19-2019 01:14 PM

Yes, I now work 8-4:30 M-F and love it.

Tcoat 02-19-2019 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonardo (Post 3187475)
After a few years... Some assets start looking like liabilities.

Even if you start a successful business, it can run it's course after a decade or two. Working for yourself is great, but you only have yourself to blame when something goes wrong. Oh yeah, and no health insurance. I get the days off I ask for though...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsimon7777 (Post 3187504)
You can have health insurance in your own business. It just costs a lot. Escape 9 to 5 by making your own business and working 24/7, but then if you're good, you can retire earlier. Every year I cut back the number of hours I teach, and every year I spend more time managing the business. I was up until 2 last night getting a schedule ready. But... I have money.

People see the end result of successful small businesses. They do not see the time, money, or blood sweat and tears that went into getting that business to where it is profitable and you can relax. I do not envy anybody that takes on their own business but I do admire them if they can make it work!

Leonardo 02-19-2019 01:18 PM

Quote:

You can have health insurance in your own business. It just costs a lot.

True. "a lot" = 10% of my income.

ls1ac 02-19-2019 01:21 PM

I did, got old and retired. Now there is no start or stop, just keep working.

covance 02-19-2019 01:23 PM

Quote:

what type of business?

covance 02-19-2019 01:24 PM

I guess you read a lot about people who make ecommerce businesses (SaaS, dropshipping, amazon private labeling, freelancing etc etc) work with very flexible and reduced schedules, but hard to hear those stories firsthand as they are rarer.

EAGLE5 02-19-2019 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by covance (Post 3187525)
what type of business?

Tutoring.