Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   STX Rules and Setup Questions (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25779)

Scooby South 01-11-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whataboutbob (Post 659976)
Don't answer his questions, he beat me in STX last time out. :bonk:

The rules exist for you too..;)

Bill

GTB/ZR-1 01-14-2013 03:46 PM

Alrighty... Now that I'm getting serious abt starting the real prep of the car--I completely forgot abt one area that'll affect my tire choice--contingency!

I've been very fortunate to have won many pairs (no sets though! :bonk:) of Hoosiers, so I'd like to run a tire that pays.

Without going to the SCCA site--what are the top choices? I don't think the Hankooks pay?

Sccabrz192 01-14-2013 04:02 PM

It changes every year, so I don't think the full list of who is renewing/not renewing/adding has not been published yet... but in 2012 there was tire contingency for:

ProSolo:
Toyo
Hoosier
Kumho

National Tour:
BFG
Toyo
Hoosier
Kumho

National Championships:
BFG
Hankook
Toyo
Goodyear
Hoosier
Kumho

I have not seen mention yet if they have any sponsorship and who those may be for the Match Tours.

ABQautoxer 01-14-2013 04:09 PM

http://www.scca.com/solo/content.cfm?cid=44518

Toyo is the only real one that does for us these days and in our sizes, they suck.

EDIT: Hankook did play nicely for Nationals though.

Areddi 01-14-2013 04:23 PM

Clarify for me on strut tower braces:

What is the stock setup considered, 2 point or 3 point?

If I replaced the stock setup with a set of bars that mounted in the same way (like on Perrin's SEMA car), I would be okay?

What about a bar like the Hotchkis one? http://www.hotchkis.net/scion-frs-su...wer-brace.html Would that not be okay?

ultra 01-14-2013 05:22 PM

Allowed/Recommended?:

- Suspension bushings, particularly offset bushes?
- Roll centre correction bushings?
- 16 inch rims, given that the car comes with 16s in other markets?
- Lightweight battery?
- Camber plates?
- Camber asjustable a-arms?

Also curious to see how these cars stack up in STX as wellmas time-wise versus the S2Ks and Miatas in other non-Mod classes given that STX seems to allow the tires and suspension limitations on the ZN6 to be 'fixed' (if not the power).

Disclaimer: I don't autoX in the US, I simply use you guys to R&D effective stuff to help get an edge in AutoX where I am.

Sccabrz192 01-14-2013 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ultra (Post 664902)
Allowed/Recommended?:

- Suspension bushings, particularly offset bushes?
- Roll centre correction bushings?
- 16 inch rims, given that the car comes with 16s in other markets?
- Lightweight battery?
- Camber plates?
- Camber asjustable a-arms?

Also curious to see how these cars stack up in STX as wellmas time-wise versus the S2Ks and Miatas in other non-Mod classes given that STX seems to allow the tires and suspension limitations on the ZN6 to be 'fixed' (if not the power).

Disclaimer: I don't autoX in the US, I simply use you guys to R&D effective stuff to help get an edge in AutoX where I am.

BRZ is not expected to be competitive with the Miata nor the S2K at the Street Touring preparation level. That is why the BRZ was classed in STX, which is a step down in performance from the STR class where the latest NB/NC Miatas and all S2Ks play.

I believe all you have listed above is ST legal except the A-arms, but the ST* competitors should be the ones to answer, as I don't know the ST* rule set as well as I do SP* and Stock.

ABQautoxer 01-15-2013 03:18 PM

You can only have one camber adjustment I believe so the top hats AND a-arms would not be legal on front and frankly there is no need. You could do the LCA on the rear for camber adjustment which is fine and preferred IMO. The Roll center correction is likely not legal I believe below SM as geometry changes of that type are not allowed in ST if I remember correctly. Basically KW's with -.5 top hats I was able to get -3 camber easily which should be about all you would need if you get the spring rate and front sway bar right. rear I was at -1.8 and it seemed about right for starters though time would tell on that one.

Scooby South 01-15-2013 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Areddi (Post 664759)
Clarify for me on strut tower braces:

What is the stock setup considered, 2 point or 3 point?

If I replaced the stock setup with a set of bars that mounted in the same way (like on Perrin's SEMA car), I would be okay?

What about a bar like the Hotchkis one? http://www.hotchkis.net/scion-frs-su...wer-brace.html Would that not be okay?

Quote:

G. Strut bars (per Section 12) are permitted with all types of suspension,
subject to the following constraints:
1. a two-point strut bar may be added, removed, modified, or substituted,
but only with another two-point strut bar.
2. A triangulated (3-point) strut bar may be removed, modified, or
substituted; substitution may be with either a triangulated or a twopoint
strut bar. The connection to the chassis (i.e., firewall, bulkhead,
etc) must be in the standard location.
3. Lower suspension braces must be attached to the lower suspension
pickup point locations on the chassis within 2 inches (2”, 50.8
mm) in any direction of the actual suspension attachment to the
chassis.
4. Except for standard parts, no connections to other components
are permitted.
Additional holes may be drilled for mounting bolts. Only bolt-on attachment
is permitted. Interior trim panels may be modified to allow
installation of strut bars. Holes or slots may be no larger than necessary
and may serve no other purpose. This does not permit any
modifications to the frame or unibody beyond the allowed mounting
holes.
There is the rule...What is 'your' interpretation??? I asked, Because everybody has a different opinion. When you read the Rule, (just like we do) we come up with an interpretation than might give you the wrong conclusion. Think about it and we will chime in.. :)

Bill

MTCRX 01-15-2013 06:04 PM

It looks to me like a direct bolt-on replacement like the Hotchkiss bar is legal, bolt-on mount in original mounting location. Others may work if they mount in the same place as stock, but you can make new bolt holes to attach them. That is my read. Interested to hear others interpretations.

Scooby South 01-15-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTCRX (Post 667387)
It looks to me like a direct bolt-on replacement like the Hotchkiss bar is legal, bolt-on mount in original mounting location. Others may work if they mount in the same place as stock, but you can make new bolt holes to attach them. That is my read. Interested to hear others interpretations.

One way to look it... :).. not saying its right or wrong right now..:)
Just stimulating thought..

Bill

xwd 01-15-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTCRX (Post 667387)

I don't think it would be. The 86 doesn't have a triangulated bar, it has two 2-point bars. Now you could add an additional cross bar which attached to the same points but it can't all be one bar.

Technically the Hotchkis is a 4-point bar.

Areddi 01-15-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scooby South (Post 667367)
There is the rule...What is 'your' interpretation??? I asked, Because everybody has a different opinion. When you read the Rule, (just like we do) we come up with an interpretation than might give you the wrong conclusion. Think about it and we will chime in.. :)

Bill

That's the problem, I've read it a few times and I don't know how to interpret it. I would call it a 3 point, but it does not have the traditional cross-bar to make a triangle. Adding a cross-bar would, in my opinion, still be considered a 3 point set up. That being said, I could also see adding the cross-bar as being a 2 point. A 2 point plus a 3 point does not equal a 5 point though, it is still technically 3 points. Therefore, how does one interpret the cross-bar?

I would say that the replacement of the stock locations would be okay no matter what, i.e. stiffer bars that are after market, just replacing the stock locations. The addition of a cross-bar is the real decision, and I don't know what to think.

xwd 01-15-2013 08:01 PM

My 2c, I think there are better ways to spend your money.