Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Bought it Friday tracked it Sunday!! NC Miata battle video inside... (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9004)

ahausheer 06-26-2012 01:34 AM

I thought I remember reading that the factory fill in this car is not actually off the shelf stuff. Guess it doesn't matter in this case, but just FYI.

track_warrior 06-26-2012 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahausheer (Post 278979)
I thought I remember reading that the factory fill in this car is not actually off the shelf stuff. Guess it doesn't matter in this case, but just FYI.

In the manual it just specifies 0w-20 it does not say to use a special brand or something just 0w-20 synthetic ;)

rice_classic 06-26-2012 02:46 AM

There's already a massive oil viscosity discussion in the oil thread.

As per the manual:

The BRZ owners manual supports this with(see pages 410-413):

"...Oil viscosity (0W-20 is explained here as an example):
• The 0W in 0W-20 indicates the characteristic of the oil which allows
cold startability. Oils with a lower value before the W allow for easier
starting of the engine in cold weather.
• The 20 in 0W-20 indicates the viscosity characteristic of the oil when
the oil is at high temperature. An oil with a higher viscosity (one with a
higher value) may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high
speeds, or under extreme load conditions...."

So yeah, a bit thicker for track duty is the way to go.

rice_classic 06-26-2012 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiller (Post 278926)
usually you'd run a thicker oi than that for track use, the 0w stuff is exactly what you described it at - economy oil. And for starts in colder climates. What sort of temps do you get in your part of texas in winter?

Little number for cold, big number for operating temp.

For ALL seaons you want a 0w-xx oil. Unless your oil is over 180 degrees at startup, it isn't flowing like it needs to be!! Since we don't pre-heat our oiling systems like a Formula 1 car, we want the oil to be as thin as it possibly can be at start up, which is where the majority of engine wear occurs.

So if you're gonna go up a notch, try to keep the "0". Look for a good 0w-30.

spiller 06-26-2012 08:17 AM

^^ I disagree. the 0w stuff is what manufacturers use to achieve their flattering MPG statistics...AND for freezing climates. Since our OP lives in a part of texas where it doesnt get much colder than 50-60, he doesnt need 0w in his engine.

Here in Adelaide where I live in Aus, we have temps from about 50 degrees to 115 and I use 15w50 in my Evo which see's track time. Since that engine has more wear, the thicker oil is justified. I think a 5w30 or 10w30/40 is adequate for every day use and track use for the OP.

Oil viscosity is a fairly complex topic however.

ESBjiujitsu 06-26-2012 09:50 AM

all of yours ex cars are deep sexy and the frs is no different kudos and thanks for the video!

ahausheer 06-26-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcasso87 (Post 279028)
In the manual it just specifies 0w-20 it does not say to use a special brand or something just 0w-20 synthetic ;)

It also says don't change it early. And im talking about the factory fill not what to use on subsequent oil changes. It probably doesn't matter I'm just posting this for other members who want to follow the manual exactly. I understand the whole factory fill/ early first oil change thing is highly debatable. lets not debate that here. But I am pretty sure this car comes with a ''special'' factory fill that is not supposed to be changed early. just and FYI.

ahausheer 06-26-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiller (Post 279350)
^^ I disagree. the 0w stuff is what manufacturers use to achieve their flattering MPG statistics...AND for freezing climates. Since our OP lives in a part of texas where it doesnt get much colder than 50-60, he doesnt need 0w in his engine.

Here in Adelaide where I live in Aus, we have temps from about 50 degrees to 115 and I use 15w50 in my Evo which see's track time. Since that engine has more wear, the thicker oil is justified. I think a 5w30 or 10w30/40 is adequate for every day use and track use for the OP.

To the noobs out there, this is highly debatable.

spiller 06-26-2012 11:34 AM

^^ indeed it is, as I said its a fairly complex topic and VERY debatable and we don't want to clog up this thread with that sort of stuff :)

rice_classic 06-26-2012 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiller (Post 279350)

It's not debatable, it's logic and science.

Oil viscosity is NOT a mystery, there is no 'belief' system, no pastor and no prayer... What you're saying is categorically incorrect.

In ALL climates he should be using 0w-xx if available. Period, end of story.

The ONLY reason... the ONLY reason to NOT do this is if he is seeing 300+ Degree F temps on track for long duration runs and needs to run a 40w or 50w oil that doesn't have a "0" rating in front of it. aka: he shows up at the parts store needing a thicker oil because he's seeing 295F track temps and all they have a 5w-40.

You want the thickness of your oil to be as close in viscosity at 75F (startup) as it will be at 212F.

The thickness of a 10w-30 is 100cSt @ 75F and 10cSt @ 212F.

100cSt is WAY too thick at startup.

The thickness of a 0w-30 is 40cSt @ 75F and 10cSt @ 212F

So you can see, even the 0W is still WAY too thick at startup but will be closer to optimal flow much sooner than the 10w and thus providing you with greater startup wear protection. If my engine manufacturer recommends 0w-20, why would I want my oil to be thicker at startup? (rhetorical)

A 0w-30, a 5w-30 and a 10w-30 all have the same cSt at 212F. So if they're all the same when their hot, why would I NOT want the added protection of the 0W at startup? (again, rhetorical, answer is obvious).

Please attend the oil university
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/motor-oil-101/

From the link above, pay attention to the italics:
Quote:

Now you can see that the difference between the desired thickness your engine requires ( = 10 ) is closest to the 0W-30 oil at startup. It is still too thick for normal operation. But it does not have far to go before it warms up and thins to the correct viscosity. Remember that most engine wear occurs at startup when the oil is too thick to lubricate properly. It cannot flow and therefore cannot lubricate. Most of the thick oil at startup actually goes through the bypass valve back to the engine oil sump and not into your engine oil ways. This is especially true when you really step on that gas pedal. You really need more lubrication and you actually get less.

OldSkool86 06-26-2012 03:36 PM

I like this thread right up until on the net geeks started busting out their oil knowledge. Who gives a crap about all of this technical stuff? Really? You can get all tech'd out and shit but if you ain't building a high hp car, or a track dedicated I'm going to win 1st place everytime I'm out car, how much is oil really going to do for you? I lmfao every single time I read posts from fools that think they know it all. When you are 1st place everytime you are out at the track or drag race, then people will care what you have to say. If you spend 90% of the time on the net reading shit and data, it doesn't prove crap. As for the OP, like what you are doing thus far. Enjoy the ride!

Grip Ronin 06-26-2012 08:30 PM

hmm you should ask scion about that window problem. id like to know about it myself

rice_classic 06-26-2012 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSkool86 (Post 280166)
When you are 1st place everytime you are out at the track or drag race, then people will care what you have to say. If you spend 90% of the time on the net reading shit and data, it doesn't prove crap. As for the OP, like what you are doing thus far. Enjoy the ride!

I've been road racing for 8 years now. I won the ITA Championship, reset 2 track records and won Driver of the Year in 2011. So far in 2012 I've won the first 4 races, 3 of them from pole.

By no means am I suggesting people should give me the time of day but hey, I do I meet your criteria. :D

track_warrior 06-27-2012 03:49 PM

Just picked up some AMS OIL 0-30 its the next oil im trying out ill let you guys know how that one works out.