Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   New 510 concept (Nissan IDx) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51755)

vh_supra26 11-20-2013 09:06 AM

I think its safe to say Nissan will water down the production car.

n2oinferno 11-20-2013 11:31 AM

Overall I think it has potential, but might be a case of the watered down production vehicle actually looking better than the concept.

bcj 11-20-2013 12:20 PM

Like. Bring me the goon!

Depends heavily on eventual engine, chassis and weight however.

strat61caster 11-20-2013 12:35 PM

Looks too concept-y to me, lots of lines and shapes and wrapped around features (rear pillars look wonky) that will never ever see production.

If the handling is there it will be a critical success (original 510s are cult status for anyone who wants to blow them off, independant rear suspension in 1968 on an affordable car) but no idea if it will sell.

Sounds like they're going to re-work their current 2.5L that they sell in their trucks (good torque, kind of like the 240sx in spirit) but right now that thing only pumps out 152 bhp, they'd have to keep this thing under 2600 lbs to keep it relevant or dump some money into the engine. Probably going to garner more comparisons with the Miata than the 86 since it seems like they're trying to undercut the price.

If I didn't have an 86 I'd be interested, the only way I'd pick one of these up is if the Toyobaru leaves a bad taste in my mouth somehow (hey they could all blow up at 60k for all we know).

Edit: Looks better in the video than the pictures, it's always nice when the Renault partnership pops it's head up at Nissan, I think I'd like this styling more than the 86's.

Also the name sucks but it's kind of irrelevant if the car is good.

Edit 2: I'd love to see this lined up next to the current Camaro/Mustang/Challenger, the size difference should be neat for people who like small Japanese sports cars and "vintage" styling.

Ammonia 11-20-2013 01:01 PM

You guys must be some extremely open minded people because while I love the original Datsun, this car looks hideous. To me at least.

M-17 11-20-2013 01:12 PM

Okay @RRnold... after going through the car again, since yesterday, the retro is starting to grow on me.... just a little though.

dem00n 11-20-2013 01:20 PM

Leaked production photos.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...06-04-2010.jpg

xrs 11-20-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n2oinferno (Post 1342439)
Overall I think it has potential, but might be a case of the watered down production vehicle actually looking better than the concept.

I'm right there with you. It'll be interesting to see how this will develop. I think the front and rear overhang will definitely increase which would make the car look less mashed up looking. I'm really disliking the Nissan Cube like rear pillar though. They should have it flow naturally to the rear trunk lines, not stick up and jut back down like some goofy wings lol.

rice_classic 11-20-2013 02:06 PM

Most concept cars that I like, I wouldn't own. They're usually a bit ostentatious because they need to be as a prototype, as a concept. I think this prototype is no different and I think it will look much better in production trim.

Price point and chassis will determine it's success. If it has a really good chassis, the power doesn't matter as much as proven with the Twins but if it has a less than desirable chassis or is overweight then it needs a big power plant (mustang/camaro/challenger/etc). Since Nissan isn't going to build a budget muscle car then they need to deliver a good, light chassis at a favorable price point or don't even bother.

This is all just conjecture on my part.

RRnold 11-20-2013 02:09 PM

Thanks for the pics @vh_supra26 :cheers:

Quote:

Originally Posted by M-17 (Post 1342633)
Okay @RRnold... after going through the car again, since yesterday, the retro is starting to grow on me.... just a little though.

Yeah, you gotta let it marinate for awhile like dry rub on a set of fresh beef ribs! :bellyroll:

Concepts are that, concepts. You know Nissan is going to water it down and there are even things on this concept that left me scratching my head, particularly that notch on the 3rd window. The non color-matched A pillar, the 2 tone and the center exit exhaust as well don't flow with the car.

I do like how they're bringing the 510 back yet keeping that traditional boxy look, the quad headlights, those teardrop mirrors and that chin spoiler. It could have been worse where they unveil a 510 and it looks nothing like the past 510. haha

Personally, I like it and I wish they could bring back all of the Japanese classics. Only time will tell but this will be winner if the criteria is met; moderately price, low weight, RWD, good balance and good powerplant. :D

Ashybone 11-20-2013 06:18 PM

Not a fan but then again I've only been staring at the thing for the last... two hours? Maybe? But I've never been a nissan/datsun fan anyway. The idea is interesting though. Now what this really needs to do is make toyobaru think about a power bump sooner rather then later. Or at least making TRD put out a reasonably priced turbo/supercharger kit that is under warrenty... I can dream can't I?

zigzagz94 11-20-2013 07:34 PM

After staring at the new pics from different angles I really like the NISMO version, but lack of a true manual transmission option means I won't ever buy one. CVT is fine for the base model but the performance version should allow you to row your own gears.

Dave-ROR 11-20-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zigzagz94 (Post 1343506)
After staring at the new pics from different angles I really like the NISMO version, but lack of a true manual transmission option means I won't ever buy one. CVT is fine for the base model but the performance version should allow you to row your own gears.

Wow I didn't even get that far.. but even if I liked it I'd be done for the same reason.

NemesisPrime909 11-20-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zigzagz94 (Post 1343506)

Wow i didn't even notice those Paddles.

yeah I agree Paddle shifters belong on F1 cars and exotics not basic market cars

my best hope is

1. cleaned up production body

2, a proper Manual

3, the 1.6 turbo

4, $20,000k

5, an non-acronym production name

6, and a good Yellow or Green as a color option.