Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Goodbye Cayman S & E90 M3... Hello BRZ! *Pics* (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35928)

im2fr-s 05-09-2013 08:44 PM

I bought an FR-S about a year ago. I've driven both the 911 and a Cayman. Pound for pound the FR-S really holds it's own against two really great performance cars. But, the FR-S is just a place holder for me. My next car will be a Cayman S. You can get a used, low mileage Cayman S for $30K(ish)...great deal for such a great ride.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

LeeMaster 05-09-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug&Julie (Post 922313)
Free oil changes for life and Subaru reliability make service a ton cheaper, too.

Say what? I never heard of a lifetime free oil change, the longest I ever heard prior to this was a 3 year.

jdcorbitt3 05-09-2013 10:06 PM

I traded a Boxster in on my FR-S. the Boxster was a great handling car, but I felt it was a hand grenade ready to let go. The tub on the 986,987 is fantastic, but the engine and all the accessories were sub par. I think Porsche built low quality cars in the late 90s and early 2000s. In 2009, when they got rid of the intermediate shaft and 34 engine parts, they stepped up their game. The same for the cayenne. I had an 06 that was falling apart after only three years. The 2010 appears to be on the mark. I would be tempted by an 09 or newer Cayman S, but in today's economy, the FR-S, BR-Z was a no-brainer.

John

Rosso_Corsa 05-10-2013 02:11 AM

Ganthrithor, I think your comments very much echo mine.

Soravia, you are not missing much in terms of Cayman's shifter. It's typical Porsche. Easy to operate, medium throws, pleasant enough but nothing sensational like an S2k. The 987 gen Cayman's steering is sensationally full of feedback however. Lots of nuggety feel all throughout and you get a real sense of the tires loading up as you enter and exit corners (the BRZ steering is good, but not this good). Very very satisfying, almost as good as the Lotus Exige that I had at my disposal for a while (but not quite Lotus quality). The Lotus has the best steering in existence IMO.

http://imageshack.us/a/img38/3362/1z8a1062.jpg

Quote:

Say what? I never heard of a lifetime free oil change, the longest I ever heard prior to this was a 3 year.
In spite of the first response to my thread bashing Richmond Subaru, this is something that they actually included with the vehicle. So long as you complete all scheduled maintenance exclusively with them, they will always pay for the portion of the service that is oil related. Pretty good, I'd say, though I enjoy doing my own maintenance.

Quote:

The only bad thing is you need to get the crummy tires replaced in order to experience its phenomenal grip potential.
Given your tendency towards big power cars, I get where you're coming from but for me it's the opposite. I am really enjoying these low grip tires because they are lighter on their feet and love dancing around at lower speeds. With the big grip cars like the M3 and Corvettes, you really have to be cooking to feel like you're working the grip.

The ONLY thing I'm not enjoying so far is that kids with rusty two thousand dollar beater civics and integras are constantly trying to hassle me. In the Porsches... I never got this kind of heat. In fact, I've never even known they existed.

Ganthrithor 05-10-2013 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosso_Corsa (Post 924039)
The ONLY thing I'm not enjoying so far is that kids with rusty two thousand dollar beater civics and integras are constantly trying to hassle me. In the Porsches... I never got this kind of heat. In fact, I've never even known they existed.

@Rosso_Corsa: Funny you mention that, I just stumbled across this earlier whilst trying to get a flat six aural pleasure fix: Youtube (Note: I do not condone this dude's approach to highway driving-- it is the wrong place to experience such aural pleasure)

Also, dat garage.

Out of curiosity, do you have many good driving roads up in BC?

DaJo 05-10-2013 03:03 AM

A local member has said it before but I will say it again; I am uber jealous of your spacious garage!...

Rosso_Corsa 05-10-2013 04:04 AM

Thanks DaJo!

Ganthrithor,

There are quite a few outside city limits, but the heat is a bit too serious this year. See, we have a law where any citation of 'excessive speed' comes with an automatic vehicle impound. If your vehicle is high value enough, they will even sell it off.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01...t-racing-case/

Oh, and they run helicopters all day long to try and catch speeders...

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Poli...523/story.html

Over the top right? Not a fun place to be a car enthusiast.

I'm sure you have way better roads and probably more manageable heat in Colorado.

SC David 05-10-2013 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosso_Corsa (Post 924125)
Thanks DaJo!

Ganthrithor,

There are quite a few outside city limits, but the heat is a bit too serious this year. See, we have a law where any citation of 'excessive speed' comes with an automatic vehicle impound. If your vehicle is high value enough, they will even sell it off.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/01...t-racing-case/

Oh, and they run helicopters all day long to try and catch speeders...

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Poli...523/story.html

Over the top right? Not a fun place to be a car enthusiast.

I'm sure you have way better roads and probably more manageable heat in Colorado.

Speed limits in the Vancouver area were UBER low, from what I remember, so having a little fun = lots of trouble. I did a trip out to the west side of Vancouver Island (way out of town, I realize) a few years ago, and was having some fun on the twisty highway coming back, and would occasionally squint at my MPH speedo and do the math to find I was doing double the KPH limit without meaning to. I wonder if they'd have impounded a car from another country :)

Doug&Julie 05-10-2013 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeMaster (Post 923472)

Offered by Subaru of Kings Automall here in the Cinci area. And like Rosso_Corsa said, it's only on the oil change. Oh, and they want to do it at "recommended intervals", which on our Impreza is every 7500 miles. I've gotten them to OK a change every 5k miles (makes it easier to remember :) ).

Of course, with my past history, a "lifetime" of oil changes will only last a couple of years anyway...I tend to go through cars like some kind of A.D.D. for car buying.

...I am trying to change that... :bonk:

Budo 05-10-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdcorbitt3 (Post 923563)
I traded a Boxster in on my FR-S. the Boxster was a great handling car, but I felt it was a hand grenade ready to let go. The tub on the 986,987 is fantastic, but the engine and all the accessories were sub par. I think Porsche built low quality cars in the late 90s and early 2000s. In 2009, when they got rid of the intermediate shaft and 34 engine parts, they stepped up their game. The same for the cayenne. I had an 06 that was falling apart after only three years. The 2010 appears to be on the mark. I would be tempted by an 09 or newer Cayman S, but in today's economy, the FR-S, BR-Z was a no-brainer.

John

Isn't that just it? It doesn't surprise me that we have so many high end car enthusiasts in this thread and forum. I was comparing the Cayman and the BRZ, and while the BRZ doesn't have the Porsche cache, it does have a cache all its own. Excellent performance coupled with that Japanese economy and as opposed to the IMS engine which seems it might fail at any given moment, we have a warranty. On another note, thanks to the OP for the thread, its been great to hear these comments which have simply been affirmations concerning my own experience with the BRZ. Lastly, on Sunday past, I saw three Caymans, I didn't see one BRZ or FRS, there's something to that too! for however long it lasts. :thumbsup:
BUDO

Marrk 05-10-2013 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosso_Corsa (Post 924039)
The Lotus has the best steering in existence IMO.

This has been my experience as well. Not even the MP4-12C could touch it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Budo (Post 924317)
as opposed to the IMS engine which seems it might fail at any given moment

Someone on another forum told me that the 997.2 had resolved this problem. Have you heard anything?

ashtray 05-10-2013 10:59 AM

Having not driven the Porsche or Bimmer, I can't comment first hand, but I see where you're coming from. As for your comment that the BRZ is like a hardcore Miata - I find it to be more like the Miata's bigger brother.

I had a modified NA - full Flying Miata suspension and frame rails. Handled sharper and felt very light on its feet. I owned both cars concurrently for almost a year. The BRZ was much softer riding - in a good way - not harsh, and very comfortable over bumps. You could definitely feel the 300+ pound weight difference in the BRZ.

The Miata was slightly more fun to drive, while the BRZ gave a better overall driving experience (comfort, features, etc) while still being very engaging and fun itself.

Marrk 05-10-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashtray (Post 924498)

I had a modified NA - full Flying Miata suspension and frame rails. Handled sharper and felt very light on its feet. I owned both cars concurrently for almost a year. The BRZ was much softer riding - in a good way - not harsh, and very comfortable over bumps. You could definitely feel the 300+ pound weight difference in the BRZ.

Not to go way off topic here, but what are "frame rails"? Did you have to reinforce the Miata's frame in order to get adequate rigidity? Or to compensate for added HP? (I understand that people had to do this with Z3s.)

I would buy a Miata over a BRZ if Miata would come out with a "superleggera" with 200 HP. Instead, they are coming out with a forced induction engine that will be smaller but produce HP same as existing models, and they're going to sell the frame and powertrain to Alfa Romeo for their re-introduced Spider.

ashtray 05-10-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marrk (Post 924536)
Not to go way off topic here, but what are "frame rails"? Did you have to reinforce the Miata's frame in order to get adequate rigidity? Or to compensate for added HP? (I understand that people had to do this with Z3s.)

I would buy a Miata over a BRZ if Miata would come out with a "superleggera" with 200 HP. Instead, they are coming out with a forced induction engine that will be smaller but produce HP same as existing models, and they're going to sell the frame and powertrain to Alfa Romeo for their re-introduced Spider.

Yeah - the area under the seats under the car are not structural - so bolting in a set of stainless steel frame rails really adds structural rigidity to the car. I didn't have any hp mods - just handling mods. The Miata only felt low on power on steep highway grades. Mostly I used it for weekend canyon carving and daily commuting. While the wider and heavier BRZ is much nicer in almost every way, that little Miata could dance on its toes with its stickier tires and smaller wheelbase.

Again, I feel the BRZ is just like a grown up more mature sibling to the Miata I had. Against the newer Miata, the differences are probably less pronounced.

Now back to M3's and Porsches!

I had an E39 5 series in the late 90's - I think the E90 3-series sedan is close in size/weight to my old 528i!