Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electric power steering (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1952)

Kiwi 10-07-2011 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madfast (Post 62728)
in terms of this discussion, it's assumed "mechanical steering" means hydraulic power steering.

Yes but to reduce misunderstanding for others I believe it is a good idea to clarify it.

serialk11r 10-07-2011 07:48 PM

One idea someone had a while back was to have a switch for the power steering: assist when you don't want to wrestle with the wheel in a parking lot, no assist (or less) otherwise. Possible mod? :O

blur 10-07-2011 08:03 PM

Why do people want no assist? You want a workout while driving? LOL

Seriously though, power steering is a must for enduros.

madfast 10-07-2011 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serialk11r (Post 62752)
One idea someone had a while back was to have a switch for the power steering: assist when you don't want to wrestle with the wheel in a parking lot, no assist (or less) otherwise. Possible mod? :O

a button to turn off PS? that'd be liability heaven... :bellyroll:

but seriously, all it needs is good tuning. EPS is still in it's relative infancy. with time, technology, and experience, im confident that once all the kinks get ironed out, it will be as good, or perhaps even better than, hydraulic PS....

Type[R]+ 10-07-2011 08:32 PM

My Lexus ISF has electric power steering, my Honda Accord Euro has it too. Most new cars are coming out with EPS. I don't see what all the fuss is about?

Matador 10-07-2011 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Type[R]+ (Post 62758)
My Lexus ISF has electric power steering, my Honda Accord Euro has it too. Most new cars are coming out with EPS. I don't see what all the fuss is about?

Cause everybody wants back carbs, drum brakes and hand crank starters man.

Dave-ROR 10-07-2011 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 (Post 62762)
Cause everybody wants back carbs, drum brakes and hand crank starters man.

Lol not exactly. Eps offers zero benefits to the driver over mechanical steering but does take feel and feedback away. The other examples you gave were all replaced with items that add to drive enjoyment (lack of having to deal with a cab, better braking and convenience).

Dave-ROR 10-07-2011 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serialk11r (Post 62752)

Most power steering systems are already zero or low assist at speed so it's basically built into it already. full assist at speed isn't a good idea which is why they created variable assist systems.

70NYD 10-08-2011 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR (Post 62764)
Lol not exactly. Eps offers zero benefits to the driver over mechanical steering but does take feel and feedback away. The other examples you gave were all replaced with items that add to drive enjoyment (lack of having to deal with a cab, better braking and convenience).

SteerByWire takes the feel away if there is no feedback motor in the wheel.. Electronically assisted steering doesn't.. It works exactly the same way as hydraulic assisted steering but with a electronic motor rather than hydraulic.. The steering wheel is still directly connected to the rack, which is connected to the wheels.. There is a lot of confusion and misinformation on this thread. If you want proper feel of the road, don't have power steering :p
Benefit of EPS is that if you stall, you can still steer with ease and not crash ;)
My rwd car has EPS and when I hit a pothole I feel it, when I hit a bump I feel it, when I hit a groove in the road I feel the wheel puling.. When I drive my gfs car I can feel the torque steer (fwd, eps)
So I don't know what your talking about

This is directed at everyone whos whinging You can yell at logic all you want but you won't win ;) If you don't like it, and can't advance with technology, go and cry your self to sleep

Levi 10-08-2011 02:29 PM

The new Porsche 911 (991) (2012) now also has EPS instead of HPS.

suprachica79 10-08-2011 02:33 PM

What current cars have the sort of EPS that we are speculating will be on the FT?

Matador 10-08-2011 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave-ROR (Post 62764)

0 parasitic loss. Better variability in assist for low speed vs none @ high speeds maneuvering.

Dark 10-08-2011 02:58 PM

I don't know much about EPS, but the one in my IS is numb and hard to steer. I hope Toyota/Subaru will fix that problem.

Andy 10-08-2011 03:17 PM

Sorry, but I'm laughing my arse off here about the talk about Steer-by-wire. This is not happening, and will not happen until we start using joysticks to drive cars....

by-wire means there is NO DIRECT MECHANICAL CONNECTION ie NO Physical connection between the steering wheel and the wheels... anyone trust electrics 100% with theirs and others lives? I know I don't!