Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   How quiet is the cabin at cruising speed? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5567)

old greg 05-02-2012 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bestwheelbase (Post 197723)
Actually they've had active noise cancellation for a long time. Other makers too. Here's an illustration of the system in the Toyota Crown Hybrid (JDM).

I prefer the German solution: woofers in the tailpipes.

http://www.eberspaecher.com/en/press...eries/419.html

bestwheelbase 05-02-2012 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subie (Post 197724)
Even Honda uses it with their VCM implementation. It makes for a seamless transition between 6 and 3/4-cylinder operation.

Interesting. Did not know that. I can see how the change in sound would confuse a lot of people and they'd worry the car was malfunctioning. But it's still a little weird.

bestwheelbase 05-02-2012 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old greg (Post 197725)
I prefer the German solution: woofers in the tailpipes.

http://www.eberspaecher.com/en/press...eries/419.html

old greg, this is neat! The other stuff was more geared toward cabin noise but this one also makes a difference on the outside. I looked up some videos of it - very cool! It is said to save a little weight and also perform better (more free-flowing). That's cool.

Still, I bet it will be pricey to fix in 20 years. Less is more. I'm glad the FRS doesn't have stuff like this.

At least the Bose-wave-radio-snorkel-dorkel is a cheap plastic pipe that won't be hard to replace later on.

old greg 05-02-2012 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bestwheelbase (Post 197736)
Still, I bet it will be pricey to fix in 20 years.

Well what else would you expect from an old German car? ;)

bestwheelbase 05-02-2012 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old greg (Post 197770)
Well what else would you expect from an old German car? ;)

Good point. :bellyroll:

That's why we're both on the FT86Club.

alluringreality 05-02-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsgerbc (Post 197700)
Why take numbers from different magazine?

I agree that, if you think weighted sound measurements are significant, you might as well use the same source. The Car and Driver manual test is 1 db louder than the 2012 Impreza manual at 70 MPH, and that car certainly doesn't seem quiet at interstate speeds in my opinion. The automatic would have lower engine RPMs at 70 MPH than the manual, but it would likely return a similar weighted sound measurement. Highway noise is largely subjective in my opinion, where two cars can measure similarly but give a different impression, and personally I expect with the extra 500-600 pounds of the Cruze they have tried to make the car seem quiet at highway speeds. I'm certainly not expecting the BRZ to be competitive with the Cruze for subjective highway noise.

Turbowned 05-02-2012 09:50 AM

The rep who was driving the car around New England said the car was very quiet inside. I'm not too worried about it. As long as it's quieter than the mid-engine cars I'm used to driving (not hard to do at all), I'll be fine. Sure it won't touch my Audi in terms of interior silence, but I don't want the car to weigh 3850lbs, either ;)

andcas7 05-02-2012 03:07 PM

Don't expect this car to be quieter than a corolla, if close to that. I still don't see why people are expecting the car to be quiet, yet be as light weight as it is. Most luxury cars are quiet due to the added materials that also add weight. I have also read reviews that state there is plenty of wind noise, it is very common on these cars, and one of the biggest consumer complaints from cars in general.

Also, most people that want this car want the noise, otherwise I can't imagine any of them purchasing an exhaust system or intake for the "added HP" because there simply isn't enough gain to compensate for the added noise. In other words, most people that do these mods want the noise, or they simply believe the added noise = more performance.

jenzan 05-02-2012 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andcas7 (Post 198141)
Don't expect this car to be quieter than a corolla, if close to that. I still don't see why people are expecting the car to be quiet, yet be as light weight as it is. Most luxury cars are quiet due to the added materials that also add weight. I have also read reviews that state there is plenty of wind noise, it is very common on these cars, and one of the biggest consumer complaints from cars in general.

Also, most people that want this car want the noise, otherwise I can't imagine any of them purchasing an exhaust system or intake for the "added HP" because there simply isn't enough gain to compensate for the added noise. In other words, most people that do these mods want the noise, or they simply believe the added noise = more performance.

I definitely agree with andcas7's logic. You can't get a light weight sports car and expect it to insulate you from sound the same way a luxury sedan does. It'd be like buying an Aston Martin and wondering why it doesn't shoot missiles and turn into a boat when you're close to water.

The BRZ is designed for one purpose, balance and back to basics sports car fun. Which, according to most of the reviews I've seen, it achieves in spades.

Turbowned 05-02-2012 04:30 PM

Wind noise is probably due in part to the frameless windows. I plan on removing the intake duct into the cabin and instead going with a slightly louder exhaust system.

tripjammer 05-02-2012 04:44 PM

All the reviews say the car is too quiet. It just needs a better exhaust system.

RYU 05-02-2012 04:47 PM

I hope there's a quick DIY fix for the pipes that funnel in engine noise into the cabin. If it's not an LFA I don't want any part of that.

tripjammer 05-02-2012 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RYU (Post 198249)
I hope there's a quick DIY fix for the pipes that funnel in engine noise into the cabin. If it's not an LFA I don't want any part of that.

I am with you, the LFA has the best engine and exhaust sound of any car. But the FRS\86\BRZ has one of the best sounding flat 4 bangers, it just does not have enough sound. But it is smooth. Somebody will come out with some good exhaust. It would have been cool if Yahama had tuned this car like they did the LFA. I think this is where Toyota\Subaru dropped the ball a bit...

RYU 05-02-2012 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tripjammer (Post 198275)
I am with you, the LFA has the best engine and exhaust sound of any car. But the FRS\86\BRZ has one of the best sounding flat 4 bangers, it just does not have enough sound. But it is smooth. Somebody will come out with some good exhaust. It would have been cool if Yahama had tuned this car like they did the LFA. I think this is where Toyota\Subaru dropped the ball a bit...

Not trying to be a killjoy but I was inferring to having the ability to plug up that pipe. I'd rather have it quiet in the cabin.

I understand some folks want to hear the engine sound, probably why they build those pipes to begin with. All i'm asking is.. for those of us who do not want to hear it, I hope there's a way to plug it up. I thought I heard a rumor TRD was offering a way to do that via an accessory?