Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Yet ANOTHER "Clutch Rattle" Thread, With a Difference (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74154)

strat61caster 09-15-2014 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlamingRectumSyndrome (Post 1946777)
Hmmm... let's see. Driving clutch since 1973, rebuilt my first engine (a 200 cubic inch six cylinder that wound up in my dad's '66 Mustang) when I was 13, 4 decades of experience rebuilding and riding / driving motorcycles and cars... Nah, I'm pretty sure I'm not lugging it. That, and the fact that the Dealership Mechanics concluded that I need a new transmission, well, that tells me that it isn't just me.

A better defense would be a description of your driving characteristics and what 'low rpm' means to you, for some that's under 1,000, for a lot of us with this car it's 2,000 rpm...

Yoniyama 09-15-2014 02:52 AM

There goes my plan to install a lighter fly-wheel, lest the dealer claims any problem with the transmission/clutch is caused by an after-market fly-wheel. (Even though that should not be related.)

1GiantTurtle 09-15-2014 06:24 AM

My trans rattles in all gears especially when cold then it goes away then it comes back once in a while sometimes I hear a clicking sound when I step on the gas

Do I need new fluid or a new trans :/

Tt3Sheppard 09-15-2014 08:59 AM

I only have this noise if I'm taking off in 2nd at a very low speed like 6mph. 47,000 miles so far

Celadrielas 09-15-2014 10:13 AM

I find it some what amazing how quick everyone is to assume the OP is in some fashion or another ignorant. This is common on this forum when involving threads like this. I will give you that we all have different definitions of "Low RPM" vs "High RPM" and can tell you that to me, "Low RPM" is anything below 1000. This is because we have 6 gears and at around 45mph (Typical city speed limit) the vechile sits between 1-2k and is not higher than 2000. This range, to me, is "Light load" or "cruising" range.

I get these are entry level sports cars which have perks and quarks but assuming somone else is completely ignorant isn't effective at all. This is especially true since his 2nd paragraph starts with him announcing he's done research.

Now, like another user said, I have 17,8-- on my vehicle. No rattle, thank god. I've had other weird issue occur such as a radiator exploding which resulted in the dealership claiming to pull driving habits from ECU. Weather or not they actually can, I don't care. I knew I was not pushing the car and the vehicle was still just a babe so I wasn't even spirited with her yet.

Also, as was stated, the clutch housing is bolted to the flywheel, which sits on the back end of the motor. The clutch disk rides on a splined stub shaft that sticks out from the transmission, this stub shaft is inserted into the clutch assembly, specifically into the disk, and is (when properly installed) done most commonly using a special tool that simulates this shaft to ensure proper fitment and alignment, and in no way should the clutch disk ever be able to "rattle" on the input shaft. If the disk itself is rattling, it was poorly installed in the first place.

extrashaky 09-15-2014 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celadrielas (Post 1947184)
I find it some what amazing how quick everyone is to assume the OP is in some fashion or another ignorant.

I don't think he's ignorant. I'm just not convinced this sound is a problem, much less a problem that justifies replacing the transmission. Has anybody been able to tie this noise to an actual failure?

Mine has done it since day one, and I'm up to 22K miles. This was a common noise in the British sports cars I grew up with, so the car sounded normal to me. My Triumph made this sound, even after I had replaced the clutch once and had the engine and transmission out of it twice and had realigned the clutch both times with the proper alignment tool. To be honest, the sound is so normal to me that I didn't even realize the BRZ was making it until I saw people on here complaining about it. Then I listened and realized it had been there there whole time. And then I kept driving.

I really do want to know what the techs say is "wrong" with the transmission they're removing and whether the sound returns with the new transmission. If it doesn't come back, I suspect that's more a function of luck than anything to do with parts or installation.

radroach 09-16-2014 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlamingRectumSyndrome (Post 1945836)
So today I took my car in for its initial 7500 mile service. And I mentioned the rattling. An hour later I'm sitting in the very comfortable customer lounge at Livermore Toyota, sipping on a complimentary beverage, and watching my FR-S being repeatedly driven around the parking lot, returned to the service bay, and then taken for another spin around the parking lot. Some 2 1/2 hours later the service rep approaches me with the news that there is an issue with my transmission, they're opening a claim with Toyota, and can I come back Monday morning and drop my car off so they can install A NEW TRANSMISSION (!). She explains that they'll just uncrate a new unit, install it, and "Black box the original unit back to Japan".

Apparently the dealerships in livermore are very eager to work on these transmissions. When I was travelling to CA I called up the Livermore subaru dealership and wanted to see if they were interested in checking my clutch out, and they were absolutely cool with it. I never went in there for service however, kept travelling instead.

Tcoat 09-16-2014 03:26 PM

Quote:

I find it some what amazing how quick everyone is to assume the OP is in some fashion or another ignorant. This is common on this forum when involving threads like this. I will give you that we all have different definitions of "Low RPM" vs "High RPM" and can tell you that to me, "Low RPM" is anything below 1000. This is because we have 6 gears and at around 45mph (Typical city speed limit) the vechile sits between 1-2k and is not higher than 2000. This range, to me, is "Light load" or "cruising" range.

I get these are entry level sports cars which have perks and quarks but assuming somone else is completely ignorant isn't effective at all. This is especially true since his 2nd paragraph starts with him announcing he's done research.

Now, like another user said, I have 17,8-- on my vehicle. No rattle, thank god. I've had other weird issue occur such as a radiator exploding which resulted in the dealership claiming to pull driving habits from ECU. Weather or not they actually can, I don't care. I knew I was not pushing the car and the vehicle was still just a babe so I wasn't even spirited with her yet.

Also, as was stated, the clutch housing is bolted to the flywheel, which sits on the back end of the motor. The clutch disk rides on a splined stub shaft that sticks out from the transmission, this stub shaft is inserted into the clutch assembly, specifically into the disk, and is (when properly installed) done most commonly using a special tool that simulates this shaft to ensure proper fitment and alignment, and in no way should the clutch disk ever be able to "rattle" on the input shaft. If the disk itself is rattling, it was poorly installed in the first place.

Not only did he research he actually TOOK IT TO THE DEALER!
How many posts are there on this forum where somebody says "I have a noise, what is wrong?" instead of taking it someplace where they, (A) can actually hear it and (B) do something about it! Granted there are some common problems where if the poster actually gives enough info somebody here might guess right but I bet a whole lot more miss info goes out then any thing with true value.
On the other hand there are some truly ignorant posters that only want to reinforce what they already believe and won't listen to anybody else or are just looking to blame somebody else for something they screwed up themselves!

TONYpepperon1 09-16-2014 03:47 PM

I tried to take mine to the dealer for it but it stopped chattering when i got there. Epic fail.. They did nothing for me

Mikem53 09-16-2014 03:53 PM

I was right at home when I got my FRS in hearing the clutch "rattle".
The lack of insulation and the transmission being right there close
And personal like lets you hear things you don't in other cars..
Those coming from fwd cars with manuals are isolated from the trans noise
As well as cars that are muted with more insulation and more isolation
from the engine components.
There were threads on the corvette forum about this same sound. Some say the springs on the clutch disc are the culprit as they vibrate.. Other say it's the throw out bearing itself.. Some say gears.. Who knows..
I've had similar sounds under the same conditions in my other cars and never
Experienced a problem over years of use..

Quote:

Originally Posted by extrashaky (Post 1947299)
I don't think he's ignorant. I'm just not convinced this sound is a problem, much less a problem that justifies replacing the transmission. Has anybody been able to tie this noise to an actual failure?

Mine has done it since day one, and I'm up to 22K miles. This was a common noise in the British sports cars I grew up with, so the car sounded normal to me. My Triumph made this sound, even after I had replaced the clutch once and had the engine and transmission out of it twice and had realigned the clutch both times with the proper alignment tool. To be honest, the sound is so normal to me that I didn't even realize the BRZ was making it until I saw people on here complaining about it. Then I listened and realized it had been there there whole time. And then I kept driving.

I really do want to know what the techs say is "wrong" with the transmission they're removing and whether the sound returns with the new transmission. If it doesn't come back, I suspect that's more a function of luck than anything to do with parts or installation.

Tcoat 09-16-2014 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikem53 (Post 1949205)
I was right at home when I got my FRS in hearing the clutch "rattle".
The lack of insulation and the transmission being right there close
And personal like lets you hear things you don't in other cars..
Those coming from fwd cars with manuals are isolated from the trans noise
As well as cars that are muted with more insulation and more isolation
from the engine components.
There were threads on the corvette forum about this same sound. Some say the springs on the clutch disc are the culprit as they vibrate.. Other say it's the throw out bearing itself.. Some say gears.. Who knows..
I've had similar sounds under the same conditions in my other cars and never
Experienced a problem over years of use..

I am with you on that one! This is not a super soundproof Lexus or Audi luxury "sports" car. For anybody that doesn't believe the lack of sound proof just check under the little flap in the carpet right below the passenger seat front adjust lever. Bare metal (well painted bare metal) with the tranny an inch or so away!!!!!

Tcoat 09-16-2014 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TONYpepperon1 (Post 1949189)
I tried to take mine to the dealer for it but it stopped chattering when i got there. Epic fail.. They did nothing for me

Good service when they can make it stop just by threatening it!
Ya it does suck when you know there is a problem and it won't do it when you try to show them. The only issue I have had at all (8000kms and still no crickets fingers crossed) was the window squeal when it was wet. Took it in the rain, hosed it down when I got there, poured water down the door seal and NOTHIN! Drive 2 blocks away put the window up SQUEEEEEEAL.

eyedeez 09-16-2014 08:16 PM

Interested to hear more. I too have the same rattling. I only notice it when starting from a stop and disengaging the clutch below 1K.

strat61caster 09-16-2014 09:35 PM

Quote:

OP posted he heard a strange noise at low RPM
Poster asks OP to describe what is meant by 'low rpm' and offers his own experience
OP launches into a tirade about his 'experience'

I'll bet you every person on the planet has a story where somebody launches into "I know what I'm doing mode" only to be proven wrong at a later date. When you put a claim out there be prepared to answer questions about your claim otherwise you're going to have a bad time on the internet.

Nobody here meant to imply the OP is 'ignorant' we're all just trying to understand the car better.

:cheers: