Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Innovate (Sprintex) Supercharger Owners Topic (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40066)

Dustin 03-19-2014 08:13 AM

@Kodename47 which IAT sensor did you use and who made the adaptor plate? Was it something you had made locally? Interested in how this comes out.

Kodename47 03-19-2014 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustin (Post 1610357)
@Kodename47 which IAT sensor did you use and who made the adaptor plate? Was it something you had made locally? Interested in how this comes out.

Sorted out by my tuner, Abbey Motorsport here in the UK. IAT/MAP plate was machined specifically.

Dustin 03-19-2014 10:28 AM

Hopefully that one will function correctly. I had planned on trying to design one myself seeing as the ones that have been used before didn't read correctly. Keep us updated on if it works well.:w00t:

Calum 03-19-2014 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustin (Post 1610556)
Hopefully that one will function correctly. I had planned on trying to design one myself seeing as the ones that have been used before didn't read correctly. Keep us updated on if it works well.:w00t:

From what he said, I think the key isn't the design of the plate, but the design of the fact that he drilled out the hole in the manifold a little bigger to prevent the sensor from touching it.

Is anyone else concerned that the sensor is actually in a runner and not in the plenum?

Dustin 03-19-2014 11:29 AM

I've never seen one in person so I wasn't sure 100% what the flaw is with the plates not working. I don't see how it could be placed anywhere besides a runner. Would still be more accurate than in the intake pre blower. @Kodename47 do you have any pics of how the manifold was modified? Which part was "drilled"?

Kodename47 03-19-2014 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustin (Post 1610733)
I've never seen one in person so I wasn't sure 100% what the flaw is with the plates not working. I don't see how it could be placed anywhere besides a runner. Would still be more accurate than in the intake pre blower. @Kodename47 do you have any pics of how the manifold was modified? Which part was "drilled"?

I'm afraid I don't. It's was just a larger hole to fit the sensor through, the sensor was too large to fit without drilling and it puts it into the path of air..
I've no concerns with its location, I'm not sure what issues could arise from that?

Dustin 03-19-2014 11:58 AM

Okay, so the overall OD of the hole the plate covers was made larger? Sorry not trying to have you repeat yourself. I'm just more of a usual person. I don't see any issues with its location either. Also, do you know where someone could buy that sensor?

Kodename47 03-19-2014 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustin (Post 1610814)
Okay, so the overall OD of the hole the plate covers was made larger? Sorry not trying to have you repeat yourself. I'm just more of a usual person. I don't see any issues with its location either.

No. The MAP plate and hole is the same size as the normal kit. It's the area under where the sensor sits that has been cut away. It's just enough for the IAT sensor to enter the runners.

Dustin 03-19-2014 12:07 PM

Okay, now I got it. Sorry for not understanding at first. Thanks for the info. Looking forward to see how this works for you.

sw20kosh 03-19-2014 12:51 PM

That is great that Abbey was able to engineer a IAT sensor that works. The FA20club IAT sensor plate failed horribly as the sensor was reading the temp of the plate and not the air...

As long as your IAT sensor being in the direct airflow of only one runner does not cause too much airflow difference in that runner it should be perfect. I guess as long as the car is tuned afterwards it should be fine.

Calum 03-19-2014 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodename47 (Post 1610793)
I'm afraid I don't. It's was just a larger hole to fit the sensor through, the sensor was too large to fit without drilling and it puts it into the path of air..
I've no concerns with its location, I'm not sure what issues could arise from that?

As long as the sensor is temperature only it wouldn't make a difference. But if the sensor is in a runner and it's picking up pressure it's going to see pressure waves from the acoustics of the air moving.

calispec 03-19-2014 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calum (Post 1611018)
As long as the sensor is temperature only it wouldn't make a difference. But if the sensor is in a runner and it's picking up pressure it's going to see pressure waves from the acoustics of the air moving.

I believe that is why the aftermarket MAP sensors are having a problem. Like moto mike said it is harmonizing with the intake valves opening and causing problems. I took a look at the stock manifold yesterday and even though the sensor sits in about the same location there is a channel on the inside of the manifold which puts the inlet for the sensor near the middle of the manifold close to the throttle body.

EAGLE5 03-19-2014 03:18 PM

Perhaps a phenolic plate might work better, not conducting as much heat, and be cheaper to produce. Also, diagonal placement of the sensor holes may allow for more room and use of the stock opening.

Kodename47 03-19-2014 03:40 PM

The hole isn't deep enough for the type of sensor used. Might I add that in my setup I use 2 sensors on the plate, IAT and MAP are separate.

NickFRS 03-20-2014 11:26 PM

Hey guys is anyone running the non intercooled kit with E85 and a 70mm pulley? I'm almost thinking about doing this very soon. Think it would be okay? Only person I know running that set up also has meth... which is @evan and his insane car... Wondering if it would be to hard on the blower even with E85's cooling.

(also would it be possible to keep the fuel system stock)

@DeliciousTuning and @moto-mike what are your thoughts?

I would only be doing a couple 1/4 mile runs and maybe a track day or two. If I did a track day they wouldn't be competition or back to back runs.

Powersfrs 03-21-2014 03:01 AM

I will be!:) ima install it Saturday:burnrubber:

xxscaxx 03-21-2014 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickFRS (Post 1614987)
Hey guys is anyone running the non intercooled kit with E85 and a 70mm pulley? I'm almost thinking about doing this very soon. Think it would be okay? Only person I know running that set up also has meth... which is @evan and his insane car... Wondering if it would be to hard on the blower even with E85's cooling.

(also would it be possible to keep the fuel system stock)

@DeliciousTuning and @moto-mike what are your thoughts?

I would only be doing a couple 1/4 mile runs and maybe a track day or two. If I did a track day they wouldn't be competition or back to back runs.

You should be fine - I know Mike ran his car this way for a bit before the intercooler swap.

Delicious Tuning uses stock injectors, I can't recall if he uses the stock pump too at that level. Mike is a fan of DW injectors and a fuel pump setup, unless that has changed as of recent. I still think he can do it without the injectors though.

mikalem 03-21-2014 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxscaxx (Post 1615513)
You should be fine - I know Mike ran his car this way for a bit before the intercooler swap.

Delicious Tuning uses stock injectors, I can't recall if he uses the stock pump too at that level. Mike is a fan of DW injectors and a fuel pump setup, unless that has changed as of recent. I still think he can do it without the injectors though.

I know for the 75 with e85 mike can tune for stock fuel setup (its my config at the moment)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

xxscaxx 03-21-2014 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikalem (Post 1615519)
I know for the 75 with e85 mike can tune for stock fuel setup (its my config at the moment)

I had planned on doing e85 on the non-intercooled kit prior to my purchase of the intercooler kit. But it never happened lol.

I think the non-ic kit will be happier on e85 than pump imho.

mikalem 03-21-2014 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxscaxx (Post 1615524)
I had planned on doing e85 on the non-intercooled kit prior to my purchase of the intercooler kit. But it never happened lol.

I think the non-ic kit will be happier on e85 than pump imho.

As a guy living it, I completely agree!

Xero-Limit 03-21-2014 02:36 PM

We have done e85 on stock injectors no problem. We recommend the injectors and pump because it gives you more headroom. You have to bear in mind that we were not contracted to develop a CARB tune, so for this reason we can customize things to whatever people have.

70 on pump non-intercooled on 93 works. 91 stick with the 72.5 or 75mm. On e85 the 70mm really shines....you just need enough ethanol in there to cool the charge down, so in reality even e30 is enough to see the gains from the 70mm. Currently I'm finding myself between e40-e60 running flex fuel and it is super quick just on that. E85 is more HP on but on the 70 that's pushing the stock clutch right now.

mikalem 03-21-2014 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moto-mike (Post 1616363)
We have done e85 on stock injectors no problem. We recommend the injectors and pump because it gives you more headroom. You have to bear in mind that we were not contracted to develop a CARB tune, so for this reason we can customize things to whatever people have.

70 on pump non-intercooled on 93 works. 91 stick with the 72.5 or 75mm. On e85 the 70mm really shines....you just need enough ethanol in there to cool the charge down, so in reality even e30 is enough to see the gains from the 70mm. Currently I'm finding myself between e40-e60 running flex fuel and it is super quick just on that. E85 is more HP on but on the 70 that's pushing the stock clutch right now.

On your non IC tune can you flip out from the 75 to the 70 without a retune? Making a checklist.... :)

Xero-Limit 03-21-2014 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikalem (Post 1616370)
On your non IC tune can you flip out from the 75 to the 70 without a retune? Making a checklist.... :)

Right now we can do via mapswitching. So it will default for the 70mm, but if you flip to a map it will do the 75. You can always run the 75 pulley on the 70 tune. You'll be down about 5-8 hp from the straight 75mm tune though.

Area86 03-21-2014 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sw20kosh (Post 1610924)
That is great that Abbey was able to engineer a IAT sensor that works. The FA20club IAT sensor plate failed horribly as the sensor was reading the temp of the plate and not the air...

As long as your IAT sensor being in the direct airflow of only one runner does not cause too much airflow difference in that runner it should be perfect. I guess as long as the car is tuned afterwards it should be fine.

Wow I didn't know the the Fa20club plate was not good. I've been running it since I installed my kit and haven't noticed any issues. I do plan on going back to the stock MAF sensor when I get the updated tune from @DeliciousTuning and just using the plate as a boost source for my aem failsafe.

Does anyone know if I can run a non intercooled tune with a intercooler installed? I want to install my intercooler this weekend and I am still waiting for the updated tune. I thought I remember reading that you can but i want to make sure first.

xjohnx 03-21-2014 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moto-mike (Post 1616434)
Right now we can do via mapswitching. So it will default for the 70mm, but if you flip to a map it will do the 75. You can always run the 75 pulley on the 70 tune. You'll be down about 5-8 hp from the straight 75mm tune though.

Interesting, I didn't know this. Thankfully I haven't been switching pulleys. Just to confirm, we have been tuning mine for the 70MM, correct?

Quote:

speaking of flex fuel.. are they in stock? how long of a wait for all black fittings?

sw20kosh 03-21-2014 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Area86 (Post 1616586)
I've been running it since I installed my kit and haven't noticed any issues.

You won't "notice" anything unless you track your IAT temps from the sensor. You will see that the sensor heats up as the engine heats up and it will not read the temp of the actual air in the runners but instead the heat that the manifold soaks up from the rest of the engine.

Area86 03-21-2014 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sw20kosh (Post 1616715)
You won't "notice" anything unless you track your IAT temps from the sensor. You will see that the sensor heats up as the engine heats up and it will not read the temp of the actual air in the runners but instead the heat that the manifold soaks up from the rest of the engine.

Ok I get what you are saying. I monitor the temps on my torque app and that makes sense now because thats pretty much what I see. Would I be able to remove it without a retune?

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note 3

sw20kosh 03-21-2014 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Area86 (Post 1616751)
Ok I get what you are saying. I monitor the temps on my torque app and that makes sense now because thats pretty much what I see. Would I be able to remove it without a retune?

Sent from Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Check with your tuner. It is dependent on the tune strategy used around the sensor.

If the tune gets conservative as the temp increases then your timing is being pulled back as the sensor warms up with the engine.

Xero-Limit 03-21-2014 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xjohnx (Post 1616707)
Interesting, I didn't know this. Thankfully I haven't been switching pulleys. Just to confirm, we have been tuning mine for the 70MM, correct?

speaking of flex fuel.. are they in stock? how long of a wait for all black fittings?

We got you on the 70 so all good.

For flex fuel we just got our order of fittings today after a two week delay! We have ONE set of all black not yet spoken for, then enough for five of the black/silver.

xjohnx 03-21-2014 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moto-mike (Post 1616853)
We got you on the 70 so all good.

For flex fuel we just got our order of fittings today after a two week delay! We have ONE set of all black not yet spoken for, then enough for five of the black/silver.

dammit mike. gimme the black. order incoming.

Edit: actually, i'm going to hold off to make sure the E85 fine tuning doesn't run into any issues first. hopefully you'll still have that black set at the end of the weekend once we've had a chance to tweak it.

NickFRS 03-21-2014 06:24 PM

Quote:

I have the ACT street prolite kit. So no worries on the clutch. Already have the non intercooled kit tuned on 92 oct. Just thinking about throwing the 70mm on with a 3bar and running E85. Is it possible with stock injectors and pump? Also would it max out the stock MAF in the stock airbox? My Current tuner has concerns.

@PRE-Erich

Xero-Limit 03-21-2014 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NickFRS (Post 1616899)
I have the ACT street prolite kit. So no worries on the kit. Already have the non intercooled kit tuned on 92 oct. Just thinking about throwing the 70mm on with a 3bar and running E85. Is it possible with stock injectors and pump? Also would it max out the stock MAF int he stock airbox?

@Erich-PRE

Ok, so you're good on the clutch. Our clutch was letting go on e85 in the colder weather. We dyno'd 285 in hot weather. On the 70mm. 3 bar will be OK on non-intercooled, but not once you put the IC in there.

Yes, possible stock injectors and pump.

Stock MAF will be right a the limit. The CEL threshold will need to be raised a bit, but you don't want it too close to 5v as you won't know when you do then.

Perrin 3" MAF CAI is a great on this setup. We also have our custom 3" warm air setup with an oversize filter, and that works just fine as it sits right at the opening just about (very similar to JRSC)

NickFRS 03-21-2014 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moto-mike (Post 1616912)
Ok, so you're good on the clutch. Our clutch was letting go on e85 in the colder weather. We dyno'd 285 in hot weather. On the 70mm. 3 bar will be OK on non-intercooled, but not once you put the IC in there.

Stock MAF will be right a the limit. The CEL threshold will need to be raised a bit, but you don't want it too close to 5v as you won't know when you do then.

Perrin 3" MAF CAI is a great on this setup. We also have our custom 3" warm air setup with an oversize filter, and that works just fine as it sits right at the opening just about (very similar to JRSC)

I sold my Perrin 3" MAF CAI to fix the issues my car was having before. Shooting myself in the foot right now I guess.

How about the 72.5mm Pulley? Would that be a safer bet?

I'm not trying to modify the fuel system nor the intake at this point.

xxscaxx 03-22-2014 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moto-mike (Post 1616912)

Have you released this intake yet to the public? I've asked you a bunch of times in email about it. Never got an answer back lol. Curious to see what it even looks like.

TemeCal 03-22-2014 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CK_Bladesmith (Post 1604447)
Anyone get the 8.5 delicious tune yet?

Has anyone had luck getting a hold of Bill, or receiving the tune? I can never get a hold of Bill and my tickets always go untouched for weeks. Just running out of time, with a track day coming up.

xjohnx 03-22-2014 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TemeCal (Post 1618135)
Has anyone had luck getting a hold of Bill, or receiving the tune? I can never get a hold of Bill and my tickets always go untouched for weeks. Just running out of time, with a track day coming up.

He seems to be getting awful busy lately. The cost of success, I guess.

I know quite a few people are waiting for the update. He does most of his ticket work on the weekends from my experience though, so maybe you'll get it soon.

CK_Bladesmith 03-22-2014 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xjohnx (Post 1618204)

I know quite a few people are waiting for the update. He does most of his ticket work on the weekends from my experience though, so maybe you'll get it soon.

I also haven't received my updated tune as well

Xero-Limit 03-22-2014 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hempo (Post 1618258)
@moto-mike I ordered a Raceseng 70mm pulley from Moto-east website on the 18th and it said i would get shipping info emailed to me, still haven't gotten any.. You think you can check it out? :)

Yup, on the way! We do international twice/week, so it was to go friday. USPS website was DOA for us all day friday of course, so we made an extra run today to get it out the door!

T/N should be in the online store. Feel free to contact@moto-east.com for any order related stuff :)

xjohnx 03-22-2014 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xjohnx (Post 1616889)
dammit mike. gimme the black. order incoming.

Edit: actually, i'm going to hold off to make sure the E85 fine tuning doesn't run into any issues first. hopefully you'll still have that black set at the end of the weekend once we've had a chance to tweak it.

bah, why wait? i decided to just get it out of the way and ordered it. hopefully none of you bastards stole the last set of black fittings since last night. :lol:

choi0706 03-22-2014 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xjohnx (Post 1618204)

We haven't gotten the base map yet.. Going on 2 weeks of looking at the blower on the bench..