Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Random thoughts thread (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3191)

neutron256 03-12-2012 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by serialk11r (Post 154158)
I was just looking up electric motor stuff because I noticed on Wikipedia that some electric motors are easily >1hp/kg, which is better than most gas engines! Then I looked up the power density of ultracapacitors...20 pound pack of crappy current gen activated carbon ones is good for 100kJ boost.

That made me curious, how much could this cost? I came to the conclusion that a mild hybrid system's cost is mostly in the battery pack. If they cut down the battery pack size and integrate ultracapacitors in it, the cost is easily reduced by a lot.

I'd really like to see a sporty car come with a mild hybrid setup with limited energy storage capability (say enough capacity to store whatever the motor can pick up in a 120-0 deceleration, with the friction brakes still working)...I think very few people would be unhappy about a power boost at very little weight penalty. Sticker price would go up a few k probably, but if it's primarily ultracapacitor storage it should be able to slash the cost by a lot. 2000-3000 bucks for much better low end torque and a little bit of hp? That's not too shabby IMO, just like a small turbo but instead of hurting your fuel economy it makes it better.

It costs <$1000 to get a ~30hp electric motor, and probably 1000 for a controller (for the OEM). Utilizing lithium doped ultracapacitors, 20 pounds should get 100kJ worth of capacity for under 1000. You'd be adding weight and power at approximately the same ratio as increasing engine size. Actually since you're ditching the alternator, and presumably reducing lead acid battery size, and the starter, it should come out to a very small mass penalty. It'd act as a "brake upgrade" of sorts.

There are a lot of factors here, but the truth is the best option will most likely be a mix of ultracapacitors, and batteries. Ultracapacitors for quick regen and acceleraction and the batteries for cruising. Ultracapicators are very useful but have very low power density. They may be light but they are very bulky.

Giccin 03-12-2012 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zigzagz94 (Post 154195)
Isn't she on Spatacus now?

Yea!

And that show is awesome. LOL

Although I like "Game of Throne's" plot better.

Dimman 03-12-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giccin (Post 154298)
Yea!

And that show is awesome. LOL

Although I like "Game of Throne's" plot better.

You read the books?

M-17 03-12-2012 02:36 PM

Is the new season of Spartacus good? I haven't watched any of them yet.

Allch Chcar 03-12-2012 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giccin (Post 153937)
Anyone remember watching "Xena?"

lol

I remember watching that and the live action Hercules with Kevin Sorbo. :bonk:
:lol:
And Xena wasn't lesbo.:paddle:

serialk11r 03-12-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neutron256 (Post 154212)
There are a lot of factors here, but the truth is the best option will most likely be a mix of ultracapacitors, and batteries. Ultracapacitors for quick regen and acceleraction and the batteries for cruising. Ultracapicators are very useful but have very low power density. They may be light but they are very bulky.

Yea, but with ultracapacitors onboard your battery capacity requirement goes way down since the battery doesn't need to be supplying peak power, which kills battery life.

The newer lithium doped ultracapacitors have pretty good power density, about on par with lead acid batteries. The graphene based ones are nearly on par with Li ion batteries :D But not in production yet.

ichitaka05 03-12-2012 04:49 PM

Went for jogging... but this crazy wind kick me back inside the house. Wind 1, me 0...

Giccin 03-12-2012 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimman (Post 154323)
You read the books?

Of course.

Although... HBO did add a little bit more sex in the series than the novel. Lol

Giccin 03-12-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M-17 (Post 154380)
Is the new season of Spartacus good? I haven't watched any of them yet.

I just started on the season. I like it so far. Lol

Stars has episode 1 of season 2 up streaming for free right now if you want to watch.

OrbitalEllipses 03-12-2012 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimman (Post 154323)
You read the books?

Plot summary: Everybody dies.

M-17 03-12-2012 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giccin (Post 154476)
I just started on the season. I like it so far. Lol

Stars has episode 1 of season 2 up streaming for free right now if you want to watch.

Well I've already seen season 1 & 2 but wasn't sure if 3's plot was going to be any good after the escape. Thanks though.

Guff 03-12-2012 11:44 PM

I'm in Moab, Utah for spring break and I get 2 bars at most. But thankfully our cabin has WiFi. Being away from the site (and especially the BRZerhood) makes me a bored boy...

Snoopyalien24 03-13-2012 12:36 AM

Gosh I have been so off this site this whole weekend. It has been crazy these past few days... -_- damn private College doesnt have spring break till end of semester... in 5 weeks

ichitaka05 03-13-2012 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guff (Post 154745)
I'm in Moab, Utah for spring break and I get 2 bars at most. But thankfully our cabin has WiFi. Being away from the site (and especially the BRZerhood) makes me a bored boy...

Did you guys drive here or fly here?