Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Random Thoughts - Part III The Search for Spark (No Politics) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149034)

spcmafia 05-18-2022 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadhawk (Post 3523815)
You sure you didn't run over something? I've had that happen. You don't smell it until the muffler gets good and warm. Common around here if you don't see the deer carcass quite in time to not try to center mass it.

It smells whenever I first get inside the car either before work, or after work. At first it smelled just damp and musty, which is impossible since I don't keep any liquids inside the car. So I though it was my neighbor's septic stinking the area overnight. But then since yesterday it got stronger and it just smells like death.

It could be a field mouse that got injured and tried to seek refuge near the wheel well or engine bay and then died. Which could make sense since I try to support as many natural pest hunters as I can, outside the house (Possums, yard snakes, owls, bats).

Tcoat 05-18-2022 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spcmafia (Post 3523817)
It smells whenever I first get inside the car either before work, or after work. At first it smelled just damp and musty, which is impossible since I don't keep any liquids inside the car. So I though it was my neighbor's septic stinking the area overnight. But then since yesterday it got stronger and it just smells like death.

It could be a field mouse that got injured and tried to seek refuge near the wheel well or engine bay and then died. Which could make sense since I try to support as many natural pest hunters as I can, outside the house (Possums, yard snakes, owls, bats).

One of my old cars had a baby possum all wrapped up in the fan belt once. That smell got nasty fast!

Captain Snooze 05-18-2022 08:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Incredible 1958 Golden Sahara II future car had light-up tyres and a remote control

Attachment 211991

spcmafia 05-18-2022 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3523818)
One of my old cars had a baby possum all wrapped up in the fan belt once. That smell got nasty fast!

I really hope I didn't kill a possum. We love your yard possums and try to take care of them as much as we can. Great tick population control.

NoHaveMSG 05-18-2022 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadhawk (Post 3523815)
You sure you didn't run over something? I've had that happen. You don't smell it until the muffler gets good and warm. Common around here if you don't see the deer carcass quite in time to not try to center mass it.

I hit a skunk like two years ago and pieces of it splattered up on my exhaust, it was pretty bad :barf:

Dadhawk 05-18-2022 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Snooze (Post 3523821)

Way too heavy on the bling, but for some reason I like the idea of light up tires. Needs to synch color to the tunes though.

NoHaveMSG 05-18-2022 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3523818)

When I worked at the motorcycle shop one of the lot kids came in stone faced saying he killed a cat. He went to start the forklift and it was wrapped up in the fan belt. I went out there and it was still alive. So I backed off the tensioner and he jumped out and bolted minus a bit of hair. Still saw him around for years afterwards.

Dadhawk 05-18-2022 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spcmafia (Post 3523826)
I really hope I didn't kill a possum. We love your yard possums and try to take care of them as much as we can. Great tick population control.

The also eat copperhead and other rattlesnakes, therefore they are your friend.

If you had killed it though, too bad you didn't get it in time for dinner, probably too far gone now. Just in case you need it though, I recommend this recipe.

Just don't buy the canned possum on Amazon. It's not real, a very sad, sad, excuse for a gag gift. At least make it edible, like canned Unicorn meat (which is SPAM with Sprinkles in it)

spcmafia 05-18-2022 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dadhawk (Post 3523867)
The also eat copperhead and other rattlesnakes, therefore they are your friend.

If you had killed it though, too bad you didn't get it in time for dinner, probably too far gone now. Just in case you need it though, I recommend this recipe.

Just don't buy the canned possum on Amazon. It's not real, a very sad, sad, excuse for a gag gift. At least make it edible, like canned Unicorn meat (which is SPAM with Sprinkles in it)

I've eaten some interesting things, but I don't think possum would be something I'd be into.....

Im leaning towards something seeking refuge inside the engine bay area or near the back of the car and dying. This thread is witness that I rather veer off the road destroying my wheel rather than kill even a squirrel.

Tcoat 05-18-2022 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG (Post 3523866)
When I worked at the motorcycle shop one of the lot kids came in stone faced saying he killed a cat. He went to start the forklift and it was wrapped up in the fan belt. I went out there and it was still alive. So I backed off the tensioner and he jumped out and bolted minus a bit of hair. Still saw him around for years afterwards.

Oh the possum was dead alright. Was with my 58 Ford and they had an unshrouded fan. There possum pieces dripping off everything.

nikitopo 05-18-2022 11:47 AM

I am back. I was busy with the work and some other activities. Hope I didn't miss much. :)

Dadhawk 05-18-2022 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spcmafia (Post 3523870)
Im leaning towards something seeking refuge inside the engine bay area or near the back of the car and dying. This thread is witness that I rather veer off the road destroying my wheel rather than kill even a squirrel.

I'll give you the same advice my motorcycle instructor gave me years ago (and I've heard repeated since)

"If its small enough to eat in one sitting run it over, it it's large enough to cut up and put in the freezer, better to go around it."

Tcoat 05-18-2022 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikitopo (Post 3523874)
I am back. I was busy with the work and some other activities. Hope I didn't miss much. :)

Not really. Same old same old

Sapphireho 05-18-2022 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG (Post 3523860)
I hit a skunk like two years ago and pieces of it splattered up on my exhaust, it was pretty bad :barf:

I ran over an already flattened skunk once toward the beginning of a 350 mile drive to the lake. Really sucked. As soon as we got there I drove to town and spent an hour at the self wash trying to get it off.

Once at work, a co-worker drove from Oakland to Los Altos Hills with a cat under the hood. It was in really bad shape. We called animal control and they put it down. Wasn't pretty