Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Things About Your FR-S/86 You've Grown Used To (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134616)

MJones_RB 05-10-2019 04:09 PM

Things About Your FR-S/86 You've Grown Used To

I've had my FR-S for about 5 years now, and over that period of time I have, sort of, grown used to some of the quirks of my car. These include (not in any particular order):

• Crickets - I really don't hear them anymore, unless I concentrate or my passenger points them out. It's just part of the charm.

• 2nd gear clunk (manual) - it may be just a trait of a 6-speed transmission (my friend's S2000 had the same issue) but, when it's cold, going into 2nd gear used to be unnerving. Now I just expect it. I might try to change the fluid for Pentosin but it's not a priority.

• Rattles, shakes, squeaks, etc. - My car used to be dead quiet inside when driving, even over bumps. Now there's a few minor squeaks from the a-pillars, or rattles from the shifter, stuff like that. No biggie. Again, charm.

• Cheap interior / floor mats - My driver's side floor mat already has a hole worn thru it, from very little use. I mean, it's thin as cardboard so what should I expect? I hate buying a whole new set just to replace the one. Meh...

• Lack of power - most of my driving is commuting, and here in Los Angeles that translates to anywhere from 5-25 mph on average during "rush" hour. When I actually DO get to use my big pedal, it's just from red light to red light. Does my FR-S lack power? I would never notice myself.

• Back seats - my car has back seats? Oh yeah, that's where the teddy bears are. Huh. Weird. Never noticed.

• Appreciation - people still compliment my car, kids mostly. It's nice to hear now and then. I mean, it's still a great looking car...

Anything I missed?

p1l0t 05-10-2019 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJones_RB (Post 3216286)
I've had my FR-S for about 5 years now, and over that period of time I have, sort of, grown used to some of the quirks of my car. These include (not in any particular order):

• Crickets - I really don't hear them anymore, unless I concentrate or my passenger points them out. It's just part of the charm.

• 2nd gear clunk (manual) - it may be just a trait of a 6-speed transmission (my friend's S2000 had the same issue) but, when it's cold, going into 2nd gear used to be unnerving. Now I just expect it. I might try to change the fluid for Pentosin but it's not a priority.

• Rattles, shakes, squeaks, etc. - My car used to be dead quiet inside when driving, even over bumps. Now there's a few minor squeaks from the a-pillars, or rattles from the shifter, stuff like that. No biggie. Again, charm.

• Cheap interior / floor mats - My driver's side floor mat already has a hole worn thru it, from very little use. I mean, it's thin as cardboard so what should I expect? I hate buying a whole new set just to replace the one. Meh...

• Lack of power - most of my driving is commuting, and here in Los Angeles that translates to anywhere from 5-25 mph on average during "rush" hour. When I actually DO get to use my big pedal, it's just from red light to red light. Does my FR-S lack power? I would never notice myself.

• Back seats - my car has back seats? Oh yeah, that's where the teddy bears are. Huh. Weird. Never noticed.

• Appreciation - people still compliment my car, kids mostly. It's nice to hear now and then. I mean, it's still a great looking car...

Anything I missed?

Haha that 2nd gear thing is normal... :phew:

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

YamahaR86 05-10-2019 04:25 PM

How low it is stock. Every time I drive someone and they get out they're like god damn your car is low.

I'm not even lowered yet, have some TRD Springs on the way but they only drop 1''.

Though I am a bit surprised when I get on my bike and i'm higher up than in the car :lol:

p1l0t 05-10-2019 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YamahaR86 (Post 3216296)
How low it is stock. Every time I drive someone and they get out they're like god damn your car is low.

I'm not even lowered yet, have some TRD Springs on the way but they only drop 1''.

Though I am a bit surprised when I get on my bike and i'm higher up than in the car [emoji38]

5" most cars are like 6 or 7

TooSlow 05-10-2019 04:49 PM

Gotten used to literally having to slam my trunk closed. Feels like I'm going to break it every time with the force needed to close the thing.

Jordanwolf 05-10-2019 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJones_RB (Post 3216286)

Maybe only on the 17+, but running 94 Petro Canada, which has ethanol in it, the crickets have actually stopped after some time. I mean ACTUALLY stopped. I was previously using Shell which is the only option for no ethanol in my area, decided to use 94 Petro to test it out, crickets slowly went away...... I've even tested it going back and forth, crickets come back after running shell then swapping to 94 Petro again, but only for a little while, maybe a week or so.

Fix one rattle, and another rattle will appear.

Kids LOVE my car.. Absolutely adore my car. Bunch of kids that play near my house always wave at me; had some kids watching me wash my car once as if a TV show. The even funnier thing is these kids don't discriminate cars based on their price, like adults would. Next door sits a F-150 Raptor, Mustang GT (with some mods), Lexus IS-300, Acura TLX(pretty sure A-spec) and a C7 Vette Sting Ray, all of which are brand new or very recent MY.

DandoX 05-10-2019 05:02 PM

• The option to display what gear Im in for a manual transmission
  • Shift light is awesome
  • how easy and casual it is to spin some tires leaving a stop light
  • Also how casual it is to break the tail out in a turn
  • the driving position its easy to take for granted after a while
  • how easy it is to change the oil
  • pillar less doors
  • trunk space for this size sports car

p1l0t 05-10-2019 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DandoX (Post 3216326)
  • The option to display what gear Im in for a manual transmission
  • Shift light is awesome
  • how easy and casual it is to spin some tires leaving a stop light
  • Also how casual it is to break the tail out in a turn
  • the driving position its easy to take for granted after a while
  • how easy it is to change the oil
  • pillar less doors
  • trunk space for this size sports car

I always forget how to turn that gear display back on after the power gets disconnected.

DandoX 05-10-2019 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p1l0t (Post 3216327)
I always forget how to turn that gear display back on after the power gets disconnected.

Turn ignition to auxiliary mode then you hit the odo button I think until you see Go-off or something like that. Toggle that to on.

bkharmony 05-10-2019 05:07 PM

I'll never get used to the lack of power, and I'm going to complain about it forever.

p1l0t 05-10-2019 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DandoX (Post 3216329)
Turn ignition to auxiliary mode then you hit the odo button I think until you see Go-off or something like that. Toggle that to on.

I don't have an ignition lol. (Push start Hyperblue BRZ because I'm extra AF) I guess just don't press the clutch when I hit the on button?

HKz 05-10-2019 05:21 PM

while my 2013 had a lot more quirks, most notably a rattle coming from the A pillar, the only thing I've had to learn to live with for my 2016 is the common 2nd gear shift rattle above 5 K RPMs though admittedly with the TRD exhaust I have to really listen for it, otherwise it usually gets drowned out. Besides that, think I've finally grown used to the seatbelt chime for when I have my one particular friend who doesn't buckle up right away... The other things like being in a low car, 2+2 problems, etc I had already experienced when I had a 240SX.

Quote:

Originally Posted by p1l0t (Post 3216331)
I don't have an ignition lol. (Push start Hyperblue BRZ because I'm extra AF) I guess just don't press the clutch when I hit the on button?

yes

DandoX 05-10-2019 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p1l0t (Post 3216331)

Yeah not sure how you get into aux power mode with push start, probably just brake or clutch when pushing the button. Once your in aux mode should be easy. Also in case Im forgetting something about how do it is also buried somewhere in the manual. Sure is a handy feature all cars that allow you to manually switch gears should have.

p1l0t 05-10-2019 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DandoX (Post 3216342)
Yeah not sure how you get into aux power mode with push start, probably just brake or clutch when pushing the button. Once your in aux mode should be easy. Also in case Im forgetting something about how do it is also buried somewhere in the manual. Sure is a handy feature all cars that allow you to manually switch gears should have.

I just wish it would be on even when you're not on the gas pedal.